1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

WTB: Dillion 550

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by omgb, Nov 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

While I don't have a 550B any more, I still have lots of die sets (44 mag, 45 colt, and a few others) plus tool head stands etc that I'd like to sell. Drop me a line if interested.

2. rdp58

rdp58 TS Member

omgb

If JonP is not interested in the Dillon 550 die and tool heads I would be. Give me an email of what you've got.
    Thanks
    Roger

3. spclays1

spclays1 TS Member

I'd take a serious look at the 650. It index's automatically. I used a Square Deal for several years and then went to a 650.

4. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

I had and used the 550B for many years loading .38, .357, .45ACP, .30 M1 Carbine, .257 Ackley and maybe 1 or 2 forgotten. I preferred the 550B over the 650 since I like deciding on my own when to move the shell turret just like with the Grabber MEC for shot shells; just one thing I needn't worry about having control over. The Square Deal is a great loader also but is limited to handgun loads only and it requires dies that are made by Dillon and only work in their Square Deal. For those that want to load a couple of handgun cartridges the Sq. Deal is the ticket but the 550B permits using standard aftermarket dies and will handle all handgun and rifle cartridges and the 650 only adds automatic indexing....breakemall....Bob Dodd

5. bocephus

bocephus Member

650 with the powder check, you won't regret it

6. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

I had a 1050 when I was shooting IPSC. Sold it when I got into Sporting Clays. With the zombies in control, I recently added a 650XL with electric case feeder for my STI 9mm Stinger and 9mm AR. Its no 1050 but is a whale of a lot better than a 550.

7. capvan

capvan Active Member

I've been using a 550 for years. Every time I break something (not often) Dillon sends me a new one. Great people to deal with. And it loads a LOT of ammo quickly. Never a problem...

8. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

As an old head who has sold, serviced and used most loading equipment, I second the 650 over the 550. If you have an "oopsie" it is easy to correct.

The 650 is also VERY fast. The 1050 is a monster, and twice as fast as the 650, but pricey. The conversion kits are pricey and time consuming to change.

The 650 is THE press.

9. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

The things to consider when deciding between the 650 and the 550 Dillon are how much ammo do you need to produce and how many calibers do you want to load. If you are looking at 1,000 rounds of .45 ACP per month and you also want to load some .38s etc and maybe a rifle caliber then the 550 is the machine for you. If you want 5,000 rounds of one pistol caliber every month then the 650 or 1050 are better choices for you.

I use a 550 and load eight pistol calibers and 3 rifle calibers on it. It would be a real pain to try this with a 650. And yes you can make very accurate rifle ammo on the 550 progressive. It may not be as fast as a 650 but 500 rounds per hour is plenty for my needs.

I doubt you will find much of a discount for buying used Dillon equipment - may as well buy new stuff from Dillon.

10. bocephus

bocephus Member

There are many reasons why I would choose a 650 over a 550- and I say this after having used both. One reason, the powder check, it can detect very small variances in powder, you can visually see a low or over charge plus has audible alarm. If you weigh each and every charge then it won't make any difference, but then why would you be using a progressive if that is the case?

There are other good reasons but that one alone should be enough for anyone.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.