1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

WTB Copper Plated Shot

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by d endicott, Jan 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. d endicott

d endicott Member

Looking for #4,5&6 Please email me if you have any. Thanks

2. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Check with Lawrence.....they used to make it in 10# bags...

I still have 1 bag of #4's left from the early 80's....don't know what I'll do with it....it made a great goose/duck load with the old Peters hulls, 4756 powder and 1-3/8 oz.....devastating!

Good luck,

Curt - Delaware

3. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Careful what you buy.

I have been told by some foks who have bought it that some of that stuff is no more than soft chilled shot with a copper wash. No better than plain old chilled shot.

4. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

This stuff is great in the smaller bores. It will make the 28 and 410 hum. Makes the 16 and 20 ROAR. One ounce of 5's at 1250 in the 16, 1200 in the 20. ALL GOOD. Bad for Rabbit, Squirrel, and Pheasant. ;^)

5. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

You can still get Lawrence brand copper coated shot in #7 1/2 through #4. It is 5% Antimonial shot that has a thin, almost see-through at times, copper wash applied. It is then wax coated. The copper does absolutely nothing, and the wax is a problem. It has a tendency to bridge in the loader, and the feather draw is terrible. It's as least as bead as plain lead shot. I'd save your money.

If you can find some of the old Olin copper plated shot, you will get good stuff. I haven't seen it for years.

As an alternative, I've been using the 2% nickel plated shot that Ballistic Products Inc. sells. It is soft, and incredibly expensive, but has virtually no feather draw and penetrates much better than ordinary shot.

If you don't want to load your own, B%P has several 3% Nickel plated loads. You can buy them direct from the importer. Here is the URL. https://www.bandpusa.com/Shopping/index.php/cPath/80

6. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

The chilled number 5's I use in my hunting loads kill pheasants OK.

Not to dispute you zzt, but in my experience, I have NEVER found a shotgun shell with shot that does not pull feathers into the meat.

Steel is pretty hard, and I've taken a number of pheasants with steel shot, and there have been fethers in the meat.

And I'm not convinced that's really a big problem. More of an inconvenience.

7. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Try nickel plated shot. An eye opening experience. There is some feather draw, but no where near as much as with anything else I've used.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

lawrence brand copper plated shot