1. We have added the ability for anyone to 'bump' threads that they have created. This is mainly useful in the classifieds area where posters constantly bump for sale threads to bring it to the top. This allows them the ability to do that without having to clutter the thread with extra 'TTT' and 'Bump' type posts. To bump it, go inside your thread and click on 'Thread Tools' at the top, then select 'bump'. You can bump only once per 24 hour period.

For more detailed information please see this post: Thread Bump Functionality.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

WTB CJ-7 for 65 year old geezer

Discussion in 'Want to Buy/Trade Threads' started by WS-1, Mar 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WS-1

WS-1 Banned User Banned

0   0   0

I want a 1980-1986 Jeep CJ-7, 258-6cyl. with 4-speed for use on the farm. I am hoping to find a "barn find" that is unlifted and unmolested and free from most structural and cosmetic rust. Hard top and plow is a plus. Eastern Virginia. Thank you very much,

Kit

2. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0

do a "Cars.com" search ...there are some out there

3. twcpdc

twcpdc Member

0   1   0

autotraderclassic would work for pre 85

4. WS-1

WS-1 Banned User Banned

0   0   0

Anybody?

5. W.R.Buchanan

W.R.Buchanan Member

0   0   0

Kit: you need to be looking in AZ or CA for an unmolested CJ-7. It is doubtful you will find much of anything that still has a body from back east.

Those Jeeps did not have any kind of metal protection other than weak paint on them and there are several areas like the windshield, that are prone to rusting even in CA. Finding any Jeep from that era that is bone stock and unmolested and in virtually as new condition will be a challenge. Still they are out there and I see them from time to time.

Find one that esentially has been garage kept and hardly used. This is exactly what you are looking for. Also you're not going to find a CA or AZ vehicle with a Snow Plow, period, you'll have to add that when you get the vehicle.

That said If you look in the Auto Trader, in the Los Angeles and Arizona regions you should be able to find one nearly like you want. Expect to pay $10K+ for it because nobody is giving Jeeps that nice away for free.

I am deeply screwed into the Jeep community in SoCal, I have one Jeep that has made the Magazine and another one that will make the magazine shortly. I would have to get up early in the morning to find a car like you want. And I damn sure wouldn't be putting a Snow plow on it. It would be much too nice to bend the frame on it with snow plow. Keep the Jeep nice and put the plow on an old pickup truck.

Randy

6. crusha

crusha TS Member

0   0   0

He didn't say perfect, just unmolested. And I bet somebody from Fresno on up has one with a plow...

7. WS-1

WS-1 Banned User Banned

0   0   0

Good Sir Buzz, you are my Knight In Shining Armor! But alas, you have arrived too late. Randy's epistle has struck me dumb with NIB CJ7 lust. A good woman, a good dog, a couple of good shotguns, and a low mileage, rust free all original 1986 CJ7 Laredo.....DANGGGGG...is that Gabriel's trumpet I hear?

8. W.R.Buchanan

W.R.Buchanan Member

0   0   0

OK: this thread got me to thinking so I went on ebay and I found a good one.

Auction #230595506207 It is a 1981 CJ7, Beige over Tan interior, with aluminum rims, and a tan soft top.

This is a nice one with a 304 V8 and T176 4 speed trans(a good one) and whereas it is not completely bone stock, it has a mild 2.5" lift, New 32" Goodyear MTR tires and solid rear axles which are a must have with any Jeep with an AMC20 rear axle for reliability.

This Jeep has as nice a stock body and interior as you're gonna see. The paint is 80%+ and original, as are all decals. It's a AZ Jeep for sale in Georgia so it was definately kept in a garage in AZ or it would be all faded, and the decals would be gone. Also it's close to you.

When you're looking for an older jeep or any older car for that matter, the body condition is the primary consideration. The machinery can be unbolted and rebuilt alot easier than body work can be done. And major rust you can see is probably going to have major rust you can't see, included free of charge.

The only thing I would do to this Jeep is get the hard top and set of hard doors he has for it, so it would be nice to drive in the winter. And drive it. It's definately "turn key".

As of 11 AM sunday it was bid up to $11.600 and the reserve is not met. I told you a really nice one would cost you, and this IS a really nice one. BUt I think if this guys is willing to sell below about $13,500 the vehicle would be worth it. If his reserve is up at $15K he's probably not going to sell it. The number of buyers who can put together more than $10K in cash goes down exponentially with each thousand from $10k up. You see the same thing with gun sales.

I think if you are seriously looking for a turn key Jeep this would be a good one to consider, and the fact you have to pay a little more for it might not necessarily be a bad thing, just reality. Paying less and then having to fix things, and ending up with the same amount of money in a project that ultimately is not as good, is not smart. My dad always said pay a little more and get alot more in return. Considering that newer models in similar condition are going to cost the same or more, and still need some mods, this is still a good deal.

Another thing to consider is that this Jeep would probably be worth just about what you paid for it as long as you keep it in a garage, and take good care of it, and keep it clean.

On my earlier post I didn't mean to say there aren't any good Jeeps from this era available, I just meant to say you had to look closely to find a good one.

I got out of guns and shooting for the most part in 1981, and I got into Jeeps and 4 wheeling. I have been on most all of the major trails in the Western US over the last 20 years, and done quite a bit of Jeeping with the "big dogs". I have a pretty good idea what makes a "Proper Jeep". To the point that I now build my own from scratch.

Here's a pic of my first one I built. And it's the one I did my Jeepin' with.

wrbuchanan_2009_191285.jpg

Here's a pic of the one I'm building right now it has a 4BT Cummins for a motor
    wrbuchanan_2009_191286.jpg

Also you need to know before you get into this. JEEP is not a name, it is an acronym.

It stands for "Just Empty Every Pocket"

Randy

9. WS-1

WS-1 Banned User Banned

0   0   0

Randy,

First things first:NICE EQUIPMENT, BUBBA! The yellow reminds me of the old Ferrari "Fly Yellow." Absolutely beautiful!

I appreciate your interest in my project. Long ago and far away in a time when I had Mrs. Thomas' permission, I restored 356 Porsches. Rusty Porsches are like no other:their rust SMELLS bad. Just getting through that old German primer meant instant lung cancer(Gawd, those were the good old days).

You will be pleased to know that I have seen the Jeep to which you refer on Ebay. You will also be pleased to know that I am currently in "talks" with two different owners of very nice candidates, one a 1986 all original, second owner, 258 6cyl., 4-speed, CJ7 with 70k miles that sat in a garage in Las Vegas for seventeen years and another which is a CJ8, all original, 258, 4-sp. with 69,000 miles that has huge potential.

I'm going to be talking to the owner of the CJ8 tonight. Cross your fingers...I will let you know.

Thank you! Kit

10. W.R.Buchanan

W.R.Buchanan Member

0   0   0

Either one would be a good choice. 86's are the best year of CJ7's as they had Dana 44 rear axles which is a huge plus. I would expect to see a T5 5speed trans and a Dana 300 transfercase. This is the best of all worlds for Jeep stock machinery. Everything changed in 87 with the original YJ Wrangler and it was not all for the better.

A Scrambler with only 69K on the clock would be quite a find if it had been kept indoors. It would always be worth more than you paid for it.

Stuff that has to sit outside is doomed. The Sun God kills everything eventually.

If you redid Porsches then you should know about body work and such, the machinery can always be rebuilt much easier than body work, so it makes sense to find a solid body and deal with the mechanical side as needed.

Anything will need some work.

Randy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

classic cj jeeps for sale