1. We have added the ability for anyone to 'bump' threads that they have created. This is mainly useful in the classifieds area where posters constantly bump for sale threads to bring it to the top. This allows them the ability to do that without having to clutter the thread with extra 'TTT' and 'Bump' type posts. To bump it, go inside your thread and click on 'Thread Tools' at the top, then select 'bump'. You can bump only once per 24 hour period.

For more detailed information please see this post: Thread Bump Functionality.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

WTB Chronograph

Discussion in 'Want to Buy/Trade Threads' started by loophole, Jan 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. loophole

loophole TS Member

0   0   0

I want to check to fps speed of my reloads. Give me any info you have on using a Chronograph and if you have one for sale.

2. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Chronographs made for clocking shotshells are pricey. You can use a $100 to $300 reloader's chronograph with no problem but they will read a little fast with shot charges as being designed for bullets, they clock the leading object - the first pellet - rather than the mass of the shot charge. My chronograph manufacturer (Competitive Edge Dynamics) suggested I deduct 35fps from the readings when I clock shot charges.

Ed

3. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

0   0   0

Neil Winston...paging Neil Winston. I think he has spent more time chronograping and patterning than anyone on this site. I would like to hear his recommendation for a chronograph..

-Aaron

4. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Rating - 100%
    14   0   0

My PACT with skyscreens measures 50 to 100 fps slower than an Oehler professional coil chronograph.

I guess I will have to dig out the one I made in 1974. It uses wires that are broken to start and stop the counter. Then you have to calculate the velocity and replace the start and stop wires. It might be more accurate on shot charges!

Jim Skeel

5. JPSemper

JPSemper Member

0   0   0

Competition Electronics, Rockford IL

6. RunGunIPSC

RunGunIPSC TS Member

0   0   0

I use the very old Ohler 10 or 11. I aways shoot factory loads as a standard & they read as listed on the box. PM me for info.

7. AveragEd

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Jim, maybe your Pact's readings are suspect. I have only had one experience with a Pact and it wasn't a good one.

I bought a new Pact chronograph two years ago. I forget the model number but it was about $500. I set it up at my club's rifle range and it wouldn't register any shots. The instructions all but beg you to call them with problems, so I did. Between 9:00 and 10:15 a.m. their time, four calls went unanswered. The fifth was answered and I was told that since the range faced west, the sun's shadow from the deflectors was not over the photocells. I replied that to make that happen, I would have to tilt the chronograph 90 degrees and turn it to face across the range. The person with whom I was speaking actually said that I should do whatever it takes to get readings!

I did - I set up the old $99 chronograph I keep for a backup, shot my test shots and returned the Pact for a refund. I replaced it with a $199 Competitive Edge Dynamics M2 and love it!

Ed

8. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Rating - 100%
    14   0   0

I have had my PACT chronograph and a PACT digital scale for 15-20 years now. They have both given good service. The PACT chrono does well with bullets. That is what it is designed for.

Jim Skeel

9. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

0   0   0

I like the Pro-chronos. I find it handy to have a printout (H-P printer) and so I favor the digital one, but the "pal" is exactly the same and works just as well. Actually, I use two for every shot; that's the only way to estimate the consistency of shells. They normally are within about 4 fps of each other with a cylinder choke but pretty far apart with a full choke so you can't use a full choke for more than guesswork.

As Average Ed warns, the Pact has been a bust for me too. They did send me new sensors at no cost, and went through it at the factory too, but it never works even half-way right. It does do things like air-guns perfectly (and shows that the old Feinwerkbau pump Model 65 really remains unmatched by the CO2 "replacements') so it's not the sensors; my guess is that the software just doesn't cut it for shotguns, that's all. That reminds me - why don't I put it on ebay? Anyone want one for single-projectile work?

At the above link you will find some suggestions on how to get the best from your new chronograph, tschoenke. They are fun!

Neil

10. AveragEd

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Just as a clarification, I was testing rifle loads the day my Pact didn't work.

Ed

11. AveragEd

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

My backup chronograph is a ProChrono and it has always worked well. Mine is an older model without a printer or PC interface, which is why I bought the CED unit.

Ed

12. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

0   0   0

I have had a Pact chronograph for years. It seems to work ok. I have never checked it against another though. Since it only reads the first pellet across the screens why would the software care if it is the first pellet in a shot string or a .45acp?

13. Neil Winston

0   0   0

Because there's no assurance (in fact, there plenty of evidence the other way ) that they don't read the first pellet. They read "something dark" that may be a few pellets or more. Software decides what triggers the unit to say "Oh, there's something dark." Whatever that software does, the kind in ProChronos leads to consistent results, and more PACTS (but I guess not all) have software that gets it wrong too often.

Neil

14. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

0   0   0

But if it reads a projectile consistently from a pellet gun it obviously doesn't take much to trigger it.

I need to check mine against another. I wonder about it every time this subject comes up.

15. Neil Winston

0   0   0

Jerry, if it says your full-choke gun has an extreme spread in 10 shots of 20 or 30 fps, it's working fine. If it drops an occasional shot sixty or a hundred fps too high or low, it's working like so many others I've seen or heard about.

Neil

16. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

0   0   0

Ha, sometimes "it's working fine". Other times "it's working like so many others". I will have to test the same loads more to determine an answer to that. I assumed that shotshells could vary that much anyway. I have tested factory AA's that varied 50fps. Is that the chrono or the shells?

17. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Rating - 100%
    38   0   0

I am out of my element here, but I do what Schoenke is attempting. That is to shoot loads that have proper speeds at minimum recoil. I too use the "ProChrono" digital and it gives me a lot of confidence when shooting reloads and new shells. I typically load the #5.5 lead bushing in my PW and then I can scale back my powder a bit and still get 1225 FPS loads at 19 grs of PB or GD. When I get up to higher powder charges, I am bookin down the road around 1300. My variance is about 20 FPS with 5 or 10 shots. I take my unit, set it on its box, then on the scorers chair seat, take a bungy and one-wrap it down and flail away. Sorry, no pics.

Jack

18. Claydotter

Claydotter Active Member

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0

I have a Pro-Chrono, and so far haven`t had any problems with it.
    Cost is about one Bean.
    Regards, Pete

19. Neil Winston

0   0   0

Is it the chrono or the shells?, you asked, Jerry. You never know unless you use two chronographs, or have some other, independent way to check on things.

Here's what I do. Here it's with Oehler 35P's, but I ve done it just as well with Prochronos. Just a square tube with thumb screws to secure the units. I've found the cover (thin nylon) made it possible to test any time of day, any weather, pretty much.

<a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

Neil

20. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

0   0   0

Yes, It takes two. I know a guy with a Chrony. I am too lazy to use sky screens. I just pick a spot under the edge of a shade tree. Too much or too little light is not good.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.