1. We have added the ability for anyone to 'bump' threads that they have created. This is mainly useful in the classifieds area where posters constantly bump for sale threads to bring it to the top. This allows them the ability to do that without having to clutter the thread with extra 'TTT' and 'Bump' type posts. To bump it, go inside your thread and click on 'Thread Tools' at the top, then select 'bump'. You can bump only once per 24 hour period.

For more detailed information please see this post: Thread Bump Functionality.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

WTB - Carry pistol for Policeman

Discussion in 'Want to Buy/Trade Threads' started by coot shooter, Jul 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coot shooter

coot shooter Member

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0

My son is in his last year of his Criminal Justice schooling, and I am not well versed in pistols, and want a quality gun for him to learn to shoot.

I would like to purchase a gun for him to start shooting, that would be acceptable as a carrry gun on the force. Please provide any input. I assume these would be limited to the 9mm or .40 cal.

If you have any for sale, maybe we can make a deal.

Thanks,
    Mike

2. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0

Depends a lot on where he will work. It would make sense to buy him a pistol that reflects his work environment.

That being said the most common pistols used by police are probably Glock and SIG. Next would be S & W, beyond that there are odds and ends showing up.

There are a lot of 'high end' guns coming out, but these are not what he will be carrying (Kimber comes to mind).

Spend some time looking and asking. Then be willing to spend a fair amount of money on the pistol.

I'd throw in a set of Hogue grips as well - truly make most pistols a joy to hold and shoot.

3. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

0   0   0

Hslds first sentence is spot on. My step-son is an Indiana State Trooper and is issued a Glock 17. Before that he was on the Decatur city police and carried a Sig P-220. A huge difference in the way these two guns function, and carry.

Wayne

4. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

0   0   0

Look into a SIG in 9mm or 40 S&W with a .22 LR conversion unit.

The way to becoming a decent pistol shot is practice practice practice and that is where the .22 conversion will come in handy.

The SIG may not be the gun he ends up carrying but it is an excellent piece to learn with.

5. coot shooter

coot shooter Member

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0

Guys,

My whole reason behind the thread IS to ask for questions/advice.

I want to get him accustomed to pistol shooting, as he has no experience with pistols at all. He has extensive shotgunning experience, and is good with a rifle.

This does not have to be the gun he will carry, but MAY be. No big deal either way.

Recommendations are welcomed for further research.

The primary objective is to get him shooting a pistol that is a good quality representation of something that he may be carrying.

Mike

6. HTSmith

HTSmith Active Member

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

Mike, I have a Sig 229 in 40 cal with three 12 round mags that I would sell. It is in very good condition, has never malfunctioned on me, and is the most accurate semiauto that I own. I am thinning the pistol collection back to just those with sentimental value and stuff I can put in my pocket. Let me know if you have any interest.

7. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0

I am a SIG man - own several. Glocks just do not fit my hand - nothing wrong with them, in fact they shoot like a dream, they just don't work for me.

HTSmith has a great pistol. Might be the jumping off spot for you (heck, if you don't buy it I might...). You can add a 357 SIG barrel to it to get another chambering for about $100. Should be able to add the 22 conversion as well (I'm not 100% sure it will fit the 229 frame).

Could be a good deal.

David

8. PhillyD

PhillyD Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Cootshooter,
    I would PM Shooting Coach and get his thoughts. He seems to be the go to guy in the handun department.

9. JIM SIMS

JIM SIMS Member

0   0   0

Try to check with the local prospective departments
    that he may work for and get their 'approved list "
    I bought a pistol before getting hired only to find out
    it wasnt on the list and I couldnt use it.
    GOOD LUCK
    JIM

10. coot shooter

coot shooter Member

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0

He would contact departments, but there is no way of knowing who they would be!!

The main advice I am looking for is the best guns to learn with, and something of quality that could possibly be used as a daily carry gun.

Thank You to all who have replied. I know squat about pistols, and value opinions that aren't related to sales the most.

There are some of his teachers that are cops/ex-cops, and it is amazing to me how little they know about firearms.

Mike

11. panthers314

panthers314 TS Member

0   0   0

I agree with above.....simple revolver, the Ruger or SW Model 10 or Model 66. easy to operate

12. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

0   0   0

Get a Glock 22 or S&W M&P in 40 S&W, if you go S&W, get one without a safety.

Just be prepared for him having to learn with a another gun, if he gets hired and goes through the academy of the agency and, in some cases even have to buy his own weapon.

Most departments will supply the weapon, but not always.

If later he wants to sell the Glock 22 or S&W M£P, either will sell quickly.

I have shot both but like the S&W more, but that's me.

13. chiefjon

chiefjon Active Member

0   0   0

Fit and function are the critical factors. A police officer's handgun is his lifeline.This is a decision he must be involved in. Most departments are carrying double action semi autos...so he needs to be intimately knowledgeable about the mag release, the decocker, the trigger pull and how to clear a jam. The Beretta 92f is an excellent gun for him to get familiar on. The Beretta Storm can be had in 9mm, .40 and perhaps even .45. The gun has got to fit his hand and have "controls" that are easily workable. My personal gun is a .40 Beretta Cougar...you can get this gun in all three calibers.

The bottom line is, the Department that puts him on the street will have something to say about what he carries on duty. I agree with the .22 option for the .45 as described above. Practice is critical.

JON

14. bcnu

bcnu Active Member

0   0   0

All good suggestions. I have a like new Sig 250 in .40 cal with a sig laser sight that goes on the rail but can be taken off. You can get 9mm or .357 sig barrel and slide can interchange too from short to long. Priced at $550.00 plus shipping. John

15. Tdog

Tdog TS Member

0   0   0

Have you asked your son if he has a preference on which pistol he would like? It would be best if he could shoot several different brands of semi-auto pistols before he made a decision. He must know someone at school who has several different pistols of the type he's interested in. That being said, I would suggest either a Glock or Sig in .40 cal, if he doesn't have a preference for another pistol. Those two brands in that caliber cover the majority of the pistols carried by officers on duty. A .22 cal conversion for either one is a smart idea as it effectively removes the two biggest obstacles in learning to shoot a handgun well - recoil and cost.

16. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

0   0   0

Many law enforcement academy cadets have no previous shooting experience. Your son is way ahead with his exposure to rifle and shotgun. Learning proper handling is the first priority, next is practice practice practice. Is there a shooting coach nearby who can teach him proper grip, trigger control etc? Many ranges offer coaching along with a variety of rental options.

Your intentions are clearly pure in the desire to equip your son with the best tools for his intended avocation. In this case the first tool should be knowledge in the form of training. After that he will have a definite preference in gun selection. Then, practice practice practice!

My first choice would be a 1911 platform in 9mm, 40cal or ideally 45acp. Sigs and Glocks along with Smith & Wesson semi autos and revolvers are all good. Chocolate or Vanilla?

Robert

17. Oscar Ray

Oscar Ray TS Member

0   0   0

As a former Police Firearms Instructor, It would be best if he learned the proper way with an instructor (Civilian or LE) that way, he will not develope bad habits that need to be corrected. He needs to know the proper fundamentals of handgun shooting.

As others have stated,what are his departments requirements for off duty carry? What gun do they issue? What guns do the allow for off duty carry? I applaude you for wanting to get him started, but please do it right. also, what YOU like, may not be the same thing HE likes or wants to carry.

I would have loved to carry a 1911 style off duty gun, but my department did not allow it. I had to carry what was on the approved list after a day and night qualification.

Good luck in your search

Oscar

18. kcbullets

kcbullets Member

0   0   0

I agree with most of the comments already posted and I will speak from my experiences. I am a 26 year police officer and I have been a firearms trainer for over 20 years. I work for a large organization and have had the opportunity to train thousands of officers. I was also a rangemaster at the police academy. My recommendation is that you buy a glock model 17, which is a 9mm. Ammo is readily available, cheaper, and less recoil for a beginning shooter. Given some fundamentals are in place the more rounds you can afford to shoot the better you are. I've worked with every reputiple weapon in the hands of recruits and by far and above my experience is that glock fits most all, and probably the easies to train with. Additionally, they shoot, and shoot, and shoot with no problems. They are very reliable. I am not saying that glocks are the best weapon, but for what is being asked, I think the best weapon for the job. Of course there are others that will suffice too. Good luck, just my 2 cents.

19. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0

The national trend in law enforcement is moving toward the S&W M&P
    pistol in either 9mm or .40 Some of the major departments that
    have recently adopted the M&P are: Mass. State Police (traded Sig's)
    Milwaukee and Detroit P.D. (traded Glocks) Iowa State Patrol, New Mexico
    State Patrol, the list goes on and on....

20. michshooter

michshooter TS Member

0   0   0

For learning to shoot nothing beats a good .22. It is cheap to shoot, compare the price of 500 22LR shells vs 500 of any center fire. A .22 is not a carry gun, but a fine fun gun and a perfect gun to learn the fundamentals of handgun shooting. I would recommend any of the Ruger .22 handguns, economical, accurate and hell for strong.

....Paul

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.