1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

WTB- Browning Double Auto Vent-Rib Barrels

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by DoubleAuto, Aug 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DoubleAuto

DoubleAuto Well-Known Member

WTB- Browning Double Auto Vent-Rib barrels for the Twelvette, Twentyweight or Standard weight. Any choke, any length and unaltered.

Thanks,

DoubleAuto

2. Dbl Auto

Dbl Auto Active Member

Nice screen name! These bbls are not cheap when they pop up. I just go for a entire gun with the bbl I want. Good luck with your search.

3. DoubleAuto

Dbl Auto:

I have been having to buy whole guns to get the barrels I want too. Have a solid rib skeet coming in this next week. Thank goodness the guns are relatively cheap.

DoubleAuto

4. Dbl Auto

Dbl Auto Active Member

Did you see that there is a plan to produce a limited run of new production Browning Double Auto in 16 ga? Check gun talk at www.16ga.com. I don't know if it will happen. Maybe you can get your choice of bbls on this! When you say a solid rib do you mean the channel rib? I am not aware of a solid rib on a DA. Skeet choke bbls are really rare, congrats.
    Doug

5. DoubleAuto

Yep, the channel rib. Seems like every time I find a channel rib it is on a gray receiver gun. I have been following the 16ga.com post on the possible 16 gauge DA. Be interesting to see if it comes about. I wasn't real impressed with the special 16 gauge BPS offering that they came up with. I shoot informal skeet with a standard weight with a skeet barrel.

6. esetter

esetter Active Member

I actually have a twenty weight with a skeet VR barrel that is new, unfired in the box. I've owned it for years and never shot it. I also have a Twelvette VR original cylinder choke gun that is in 98% condition. I've never seen another VR cylinder choke. And, no I'm not looking to sell them. Just some strange guns I've come across over the years when I was collecting Brownings.

7. DoubleAuto

I have a VR cylinder choked barrel that came with a black receiver DA gun that also has a modified barrel with it in a Browning case (both barrels fitted to the gun). I am not a Browning collector in the sense of looking for pristine guns or as new guns. I mainly pick up good used shooters when I can get them at good prices simply to shoot and have as parts guns.

I have been lucky in coming up with unique barrels on guns. I bought a Model 12 sight unseen and it had an extra barrel with it. The extra barrel is a skeet 2 (WS-2) solid-rib barrel. Haven't seen many of these on Model 12's.

8. mrweekend

mrweekend TS Member

Ok Guys- Since I found your post while researching the Double auto I'd thought I'd post a question to see if you can help me out.

The Twelvette at the Gun shop has a solid rib vent that looks concave. It looks to perfect a bend and looks to be by design. Is this so that one picks up the front bead quicker or some flaw?

Thanks Much in advance and pardon me if I'm ignorant of something obvious.

Paul

9. Dbl Auto

Dbl Auto Active Member

mrweekend, this indeed was by design. These are called channel ribs or by some U ribs. From my research and study they were only offered for the first few years before the true vent ribs. They are collectable and add to the value of the gun. What is the color of the receiver of the twelvette that is in your local shop? Black and silver are common colors but brown and green are more rare. From a Browning catalog that I have it states that the channel rib will help aid in more precise pointing.
    Doug

10. mrweekend

mrweekend TS Member

Dbl Auto, Thanks for the reply. When you shoulder the gun, you do pick up the front bead quicker with the concave design. I picked up the gun, it has the silver receiver and was clean, other than it looks to me that someone sanded the stock and forearm and went to an oil finish. THe Trigger gold plating is missing on the front part of the trigger but bore looks good. Some minor
    pitting towards the barrel lug under the forearm. I was looking at a Belgium bar when I saw this and was intrigued by it's design. I made a package deal and figure I have 300-350 into it. After reading about the other colors, I'll be another person scouting around.

11. DoubleAuto

mrweekend:

Both of my channel ribbed guns are also on silver receivers. Seems like just about everyone I come across has a silver receiver. You will enjoy the gun. What is the choke of your "new to you" Twelvette?

DoubleAuto

12. mrweekend

mrweekend TS Member

DoubleAuto-

Well If markings are anything and there are plenty on the barrel. I'd Guess modified 28" or 27.5 from end of lug to muzzle. THere is a "M" with a line under it on the flat end of the lug. Manufacture date is 12/70 looking at the proof marks s/n A298XX. If you have access to info on these guns, I'd really appreciate any you can spare. Knowledge is golden. I'll post a pic as soon as I get a chance.
    Thanks Much

MrWeekend

13. mrweekend

mrweekend TS Member

DoubleAuto- Pardon me for my ignorance on the subject. According to the web, the * in front of "Special Steel" denotes full. LOL, all these years I thought the * was to just to make the word "Special" stand out.
    Now hopefully I'm not wrong as I need to get some sleep as my weekend is over.

MrWeekend.

14. DoubleAuto

MrWeekend:

* is full

*- is improved modified

** is modified

**- is improved cylinder

*** is cylinder

The 12/70 denotes a 12 gauge gun with a 2 3/4" chamber. With no number before the "A", probably made between 1955 and 1957. These quality made guns can be found in good condition for very reasonable prices. Getting ready to go dove hunting for 10 days and will split hunt time between a Double Auto and a Sweet 16. Finally saw an extra barrel (vent-rib) only for sale by a dealer @ $350. I will just keep looking for complete guns.

Enjoy your gun.

DoubleAuto

15. Dbl Auto

Dbl Auto Active Member

Guys this is a page from a 1950's Browning catalog introducing the Double Auto. It has a nice piece on the recess rib.
    Doug

16. Dbl Auto

Dbl Auto Active Member

Another thing I forgot to mention is to note the drawings of the gun at the top of the page showing the ease of use for right or left handed people. Pick out the rivot that is shown at the rear of the forend. All the guns shown in this catalog have this exposed rivot on the forend, does yours? If it does you have a first year production gun and it is very rare.
    Doug

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

browning double auto barrels

browning twelvette barrel choke markings

browninglight weight double auto value bbl proof marking