1. We have added the ability for anyone to 'bump' threads that they have created. This is mainly useful in the classifieds area where posters constantly bump for sale threads to bring it to the top. This allows them the ability to do that without having to clutter the thread with extra 'TTT' and 'Bump' type posts. To bump it, go inside your thread and click on 'Thread Tools' at the top, then select 'bump'. You can bump only once per 24 hour period.

For more detailed information please see this post: Thread Bump Functionality.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

WTB BIRD HUNTING DOG/PUPPY near CT

Discussion in 'Want to Buy/Trade Threads' started by jr.sportingclays, Nov 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jr.sportingclays

jr.sportingclays Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Hi, I am looking to possibly buy a bird hunting dog or a puppy. I do not have a huge issue with the breed, I am mainly looking for a dog to train or that is already started that can flush, retrieve and maybe point (pointing is not needed), but is also a great family pet and can be kept inside. The dog would be used for duck hunting, grouse, woodcock and pheasants. I would like a dog that is between 8 weeks and 18 months, I am located in CT and don't like to ship dogs but if it is a need I am willing to pay for shipping. Please PM me with possible buys. Thanks in advance.

JR

2. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

0   0   0

There is a guy who has a hunting dog for sale to a good home in the "For Sale" section ... His E Mail address : williampenrod@sbcglobal.net

Send him and E Mail and see what he has to say for himself ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

3. jr.sportingclays

jr.sportingclays Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Already talked with him, but thank you, it's just too much and too far to ship a dog like that from Cal to CT, I don't want to risk it. Thanks.

4. jr.sportingclays

jr.sportingclays Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Any breeders in the CT area that might have a litter on the ground??? Anybody just trying to get rid a nice dog???

JR

5. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

0   0   0

JR

I know Idaho is quite far from CT, but I know of a really nice Chesapeake pup available. The pup is a female littermate to my pup Lexie, pictured above at 3 1/2 months old. They are now a week older than 5 months. The pup, Belle, is slightly bigger and blonder than Lexie. Belle is well socialized and really friendly. There is another littermate in PA - sorry I don't remember where. I believe that pup is also female but I could be wrong. Anyway, if you just want to talk to the breeder shoot me a PM and I'll give you the number.

Belle hasn't been out hunting yet, unlike her sister Lexie. Lexie goes out quite often with me and her older brother Rocky. She loves the water, even cold, deep rivers with heavy current, and retrieved her first wild bird from one last week.

The website above has a Pups for Sale section. I notice there are two litters listed from PA, a little closer to you.

6. oz

oz Active Member

0   0   0

peacedale sporting clays in peacedale, RI has beautiful english setters. talk to richie 401-789-3730 they are not akc they are american field (hunters)

7. mallard2

mallard2 Active Member

0   0   0

I did an extensive search of breeds, they do make a huge difference, and ended with an English Springer Spaniel. Very very easy to train, great flusher and retriever, and great house dog. Just my 2 cents.

8. jr.sportingclays

jr.sportingclays Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Thanks guys, mallard2 do you know of any breeders that might have a litter? Thanks.

9. mallard2

mallard2 Active Member

0   0   0

Sportingclays,

I am way out in Idaho, so probably wouldn't do you much good.

Here's one thought, though, and I am sure many disagree: There is beginning to be a big difference in field trial Springers and hunting/family dog Springers.

This pup I have is hard busting cover at six weeks, (just playing, of course)! But, very quiet and nice to have in the house, just like her parents are.

To win, a field trial Springer has to be extremely energetic, hard driving, etc.Some are to wired to be house dogs, although there are exceptions, I know, and I don't want to insult anyone's good trial dogs. They just weren't for me.

I wanted a hunting/house dog and so found lines of long established hunting/family dogs. Not show dogs, though.

I have spoken to many who agree this is the way to go, unless you want a high powered trial dog.

Best of luck

10. jr.sportingclays

jr.sportingclays Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Well then I guess I have another question, what do people think is the best bird dog breed and family pet that will lie at your feet at night? I like the idea of the Springer Spaniels, any other input? I'm not a fan of labs, I have had them and not impressed with them that much, any input would be great. Thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.