1. We have added the ability for anyone to 'bump' threads that they have created. This is mainly useful in the classifieds area where posters constantly bump for sale threads to bring it to the top. This allows them the ability to do that without having to clutter the thread with extra 'TTT' and 'Bump' type posts. To bump it, go inside your thread and click on 'Thread Tools' at the top, then select 'bump'. You can bump only once per 24 hour period.

For more detailed information please see this post: Thread Bump Functionality.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

wtb a Spolar but is it worth it?

Discussion in 'Want to Buy/Trade Threads' started by Racerx, Mar 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Racerx

Racerx Member

0   0   0

Is it worth trying to buy a used Spolar reloader? A new Spolar go for $1599 and when a see them on here they run maybe $1300 used.. I dont need a table.. hyro pump.. cover.. extra gauges.. just a 12 ga. reloader.

2. Didreckson

Didreckson Active Member

0   0   0

Racerx,

My opinion is just order a new one. If you found a great deal, of course a Spolar is going to out live the vast majority of us...they just keep going and going. But for a couple of hundred savings, I would get a new one, newest of everything, especially the new flat primer post which eliminates the only flaw I ever saw on the unit, and occasional tipped primer, and on my two units that was even rare.

I don't know what lead time is, and if you found a late model unit for a great price, of course it might be worth it. But they don't depreciate like most gear, for obvious reasons...they simply are the best at what they do.

3. stingray44130

stingray44130 Member

0   0   0

Best loader on the market second to none over 13 years And counting

Denny kilbane

4. major146

major146 Member

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

If you are looking for a quality reloader how about a Ponsness-Warren. There is one for sale on the SGW board, just click on the link above.

5. cunninmp

cunninmp Member

0   0   0

I have a Spolar and a PW.
    The PW is good but the Spolar is great.
    First got the Spolar without hydraulics. Three months
    later added hydraulics. I can turn out hundreds of rounds, effort free
    with the Spolar. PW is very good, but much slower.
    If you shoot a small amount of Trap, the PW will more then suffice.
    If you get serious about our sport, the Spolar will get you there.
    I now have my PW set up for 7/8oz for the first shot of doubles.
    My Spolar reloads 1 to 1 1/8oz without any adjustments. Both AA and
    STS. All I do is change bushings. I also use Winchester and Remington
    primers.
    The PW is a bit more fussy.
    Mike C.

6. Full N. Fuller

Full N. Fuller Member

0   0   0

I am not sure they are worth it if you are not a high volume shooter. However, if you are shooting 1.5 - 2k per month, the Spolar is the only way to go. But in that case, you want the hydraulic drive.

7. rbinversie

rbinversie Member

0   0   0

Any reloader is still worth the price you pay, if as Barfin says his paid for itself after 20k shells reloaded, and he got his money back when he sold it. I think that means he used the reloader for free!!

8. Racerx

Racerx Member

0   0   0

One guy on here commented if it was worth if you dont shoot alot ?? I shoot 8-10 rounds a week because the clubs only open two days a week.. Ive been getting into trap shooping more and I shoot 1600 hdcp targets ATA and 600 hdcp Pita .. I still think its a good idea to get one.. One friend said he wouldnt because of his age.

9. threedeuces

threedeuces TS Member

0   0   0

Buy a Spolar, use it for 5 or 10 years then sale it for $200 less than you paid for it. Therefor pretty much used the best loader with no close seconds money can buy for free and then some. Name any other brand you can do that with. You can't, I know I have owned all of them but a Mec.
    Good luck with your decision.

10. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

0   0   0

Most of us have owned other machines before moving on to Spolar. I got tired of being a P/W mechanic [always adjusting or replacing]... the Spolar is really boring... it just works. Fred

11. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

0   0   0

I would think anyone with enough money for a Spolar would also have enough sense to not to buy a 5 or 10 yr old machine so save $200.

12. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0

I have a Spolar. Manually it is hard to operate. It's hard to pop out the primers in the Dark Gray Win HS Hulls. Fantastic crimps, Makes a high quality shell. In my opinion get a reloader with adjustable shot and charge bars. Dave T.

13. rwtii

rwtii Member

0   0   0

It is money in the bank, actually safer in light of recent developments, and it makes new shells for you. Is it worth it? Yes. If you get one make sure you get the new primer cup and post. No more tipped primers, which was its largest problem.

14. Racerx

Racerx Member

0   0   0

Primer cup/post ??

15. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0

The fastest loader made is the Dillon SL900. They will run rings around a Spolar. I loaded 50 shells in 2 1/2 minutes, and a friend with the same loader did it in the same time, just to see how fast they were. They also have all the modern features. Spolar is over priced and has a 40 year old design. All I can say about Spolar is they are built like a tank. Personally, I use a PW800+ electric and a Dillon SL900. And Yes, to all you Spolar fanatics out there I can afford one if I want one.

16. 8 Straight

8 Straight Active Member

0   0   0

The Browning .50 M2 is an old design, but it still works pretty well.

17. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

0   0   0

shot410ga, That is 20/min, not hard to do with a PW and hull feeder.

18. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0

Johnny, I have the PW 800+ and had a hull feeder on it. 20 a minute, I don't think so. But, it will do 500 an hour with the electric drive. Are you trying to tell me it will do 1200 rounds an hour pulling the handle? You best stay off the wacky weed.

19. cec

cec TS Member

0   0   0

I have a Spolar Gold aprox 7 years old. It's the best reloader on the market, bar none. I also have the hydraulic unit and table, great combo in great condition. But will divide if you wish to make an offer on any piece. If interested, send a PM.

20. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

0   0   0

shot410ga , I have a PW Platinum with a hull feeder and I assure you 20/min is easy enough, may even be able to do 25 in short bursts. I can do that for 5 minutes, then the primer tray is empty. It also wears me out, not something I would normally do, just stating it is possible. I never stated per hour. There is no way your Dillon is faster. I pull the handle and feed in the wads, same as your Dillon.

APrice , I don't know about the Dillon's problems. Rather than design a shotshell loader from scratch, they have used an existing frame to create a shothell loader. That is why it looks like a plumbing nightmare.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

spolar is it worth it