1. We have added the ability for anyone to 'bump' threads that they have created. This is mainly useful in the classifieds area where posters constantly bump for sale threads to bring it to the top. This allows them the ability to do that without having to clutter the thread with extra 'TTT' and 'Bump' type posts. To bump it, go inside your thread and click on 'Thread Tools' at the top, then select 'bump'. You can bump only once per 24 hour period.

For more detailed information please see this post: Thread Bump Functionality.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

wtb 7mmstw brass or shells

Discussion in 'Want to Buy/Trade Threads' started by quick2, Sep 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. quick2

quick2 Member

0   0   0

looking to buy some brass or shell @ a decent price.
    731-549-4006

2. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

I went to that gun show we discussed via PM last week but there wasn't a thing there in 7mm STW - ammo, brass or even a gun! There will be more shows in the coming weeks and I'll keep checking for you. Meanwhile, MidwayUSA does have new brass.

Ed

3. AveragEd

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

By the way, I think it fair to tell you to avoid any new Winchester 7mm STW brass you might stumble upon. My son and I bought 200 pieces in sealed Winchester bags at a gun show two years ago. When we got around to processing it, we found the necks were cut off at an angle and we couldn't trim them square because the stuff was already as much as .030" shorter than the trim-to length.

I returned it to Winchester and they replaced it with a box containing 200 pieces with the exact same defects! They told me to return that stuff for a refund and that they no longer make brass or loaded ammo for that cartridge.

At that same show, I bought several hundred pieces of new Winchester .243 Winchester brass. It was as much as .055" longer than the maximum length for that cartridge and had primer pockets so shallow that it took me four hours to process it using an electric RCBS Case Preparation Center and an RCBS power case trimmer.

No more Winchester brass for this handloader!

Ed

4. duckeye

duckeye TS Member

0   0   0

Be careful with ANY new Winchester brass be sure to check it out very carefully as it is very rarely meets specs. I have found Remington is the best and most uniform brass on the market. Also do not load the belted magnum case more than 4 or 5 times before you throw the case away They split right above the belt.

Duckeye

5. Texshooter

Texshooter Member

0   0   0

I know how you feel, 300 Rem Ultra mag was impossible to find for the last 6 months. Some is now available. AJ

6. AveragEd

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

AJ, I also found 300RUM brass to be unavailable a year or two ago but found MidwayUSA had Federal 300RUM ammo loaded with 165-grain Nosler Solid Bases in nickel-plated cases on sale for 50% off - $26.51 a box. New unprimed brass was about the same price when it was available so I bought five boxes of that ammo with the idea of pulling the bullets and using the new, primed cases for handloading. Well, the stuff shoots into 1.5" at 100 yards and 165 is the bullet weight I was planning to use, so I haven't bothered loading any of it yet!

I don't plan to hunt anything with this rifle anyway although our son probably will eventually take it "out west" for an elk/mule deer hunt. I only bought it because it is a Remington special-run gun - a stainless 700BDL LSS in a brown laminated thumbhole stock and no "read the book" warning or the now-discontinued J-lock.

Ed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.