1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

WTB 28 ga hulls, what's best?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by BustClays, Feb 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BustClays

BustClays Member

I want to start reloading 28 ga hulls and I need to know if any of you who do, have had better success with one brand over another. Also would like to find someone who has 400-500 that they might like to sell.

bustclays

2. hunter44

hunter44 Well-Known Member

I think the AA is the best hull in 28 ga., at least in my experience.

3. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

STS, unless you can get some of the older Remington Premier hulls.

4. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Most folks I know use AA-HS hulls.

I have had good luck with Federal/Estate hulls, as long as you use the Federal 28S1 wad.

But I don't shoot 28 gauge all that much.

5. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

The AAHS winchester hull is the only way to go. You can find them for sale on this forum every now and then but they usually go for $0.15 each plus shipping. Best bet is bite the bullet and buy a couple of flats of loaded ammo and save your own hulls. You can expect at least six loadings out of these hulls if you use the HS wad and the correct powder.

The STS 28 gauge hull loads nicely on the first go around but deteriorates rapidly. All other hulls aren't worth your time. Undoubtably you will have to learn this the hard way before you believe it.

6. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Wolfram is right.. The only hull worth loading is the HS style AA. I have loaded them far more times then 6. some of them will go 20 times and still look better then a 3x fired STS. the sTS hulls burn at the ends and the overall size is so inconsistant that you have to sort them in batches and then adjust your loader or your crimps get all smooshed in. STS is my favorite factory load for shooting starlings and skeet but the hulls are crap and worth only half as much as HS AA's if I sell them. As Wolfram said.... Most people learn the hard way as they don't want to pay the price for the HS hulls. Jeff

7. chrisg

chrisg Member

STS makes a great 12ga. hull. But their 28ga. hull blows big time. I would not waste my time loading them. After 2 reloads they are all split and deformed. Win AA HS is the only way to go if you want to get any life out of your hulls!!

8. BustClays

BustClays Member

Thanks all for the info. Now all I got to do is find some AA HS that are reasonably priced.

bustclays

9. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

bustclays,

Don't hold your breath....

10. BustClays

BustClays Member

Well I "bought the bullet" and ordered a flat of new AA HS today.
    Thanks for the benefit of your many experiences.
    bustclays

11. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

Guess I just haven't done enough experimenting with the new AAs as yet. I still have thousands of the old AAs and a couple thousand STSs and only have played with the new HS hulls to a limited degree. The loads I have traditionally used (HS-6) don't seem to sound as good or recoil as sharply in the HS hulls. Admittedly, reading breaks is subjective but the loads in the HS hulls don't produce the scores that I get with the other hulls. I sure it must be me since so many like them.

12. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

If you are not using HS wads you will have that problem. The new cases are as big as a a Federal straight wall hull. The wads are WAYYYYYY bigger then the old wads. The wads are bigger( I think) then a Federal 28 ga Pushin cushion type wad. They are either bigger or as big. It's like loading a regular aa type wad in any straight wall hull. You will have powder migration around the wad. You need to measure a fired HS wad as it will amaze you the diffrence in size. P.S No hull separation that I know of with the 28's. Jeff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.