Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

WTB .243 or .270

3K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  acss 
#1 ·
looking for a deer rifle for a new hunter! needs a .243 or .270- yes of course there is a budget? wally riebesell 660-744-4115

#3 ·
will talk wed,thanks

#6 ·
thanks- am looking for a youth and probably a bolt action

#8 ·
Bass Pro Shops and Cabellas as well as Dick's and other sporting goods stores often have specials on just what you're looking for, an inexpensive bolt-action in .243 Winchester with an entry-level 3-9x40mm scope already mounted and bore-sighted.

They usually are Savages with shorter synthetic stocks and they really are good rifles. Sometimes you'll find them with blind magazines, hinged floorplates or detachable box magazines for anywhere from $399 to $499. For a brand-new rifle that isn't a cheaply-made piece and comes with a scope (and sometimes a sling and soft case as well), that's a great buy. Some even offer a second adult-sized stock for $50 by mail.

Two years ago, my then-30 year-old daughter announced that she might want to become a hunter. My son was about to become engaged and his girlfriend had already taken up archery hunting, so I bought one of those Savage .243 youth rifles for them to use. (Smaller-framed folks kid themselves by trying to handle a full-length stock.) I did replace the scope with a Leupold VX-1 but the one on the rifle worked well enough for someone who didn't know any better. I installed a one-inch recoil pad when my son shot test loads in it and then sighted it in for the load it liked best. That made the stock long enough for most shooters to shoot comfortably.

Will they shoot? Ours puts five 95-grain Nosler Solid Base Ballistic Tips into .876" at 100 yards at an average muzzle velocity of 3,023fps and an extreme velocity spread over the five shots of just 14fps. No bedding work was needed and the AccuTrigger was easily adjusted to a nice, safe hunting trigger that was still manageable for shooting from a bench.

For me, one of those would be a no-brainer (and I'm a huge Model 700 fan).

Ed

#10 ·
I have a new in the box Remington 700 ADL 243 youth model with an extra full length stock. Both stocks are the injected molded synthetic stock. The youth stock is probably 1" to 1 1/2" shorter. It has a 20" barrel with sights.
Looks like the attached photo. Let me know if you're interested.
Reasonably priced, I'm looking at a used Shotgun so I could use the extra cash.

#11 ·
Depends on what the long term plans are. If it to be a deer/antelope/coyote/prairie dog gun, go for the 243. The 270 is a whole nother animal...based on the 30-06. Lightest bullet for the 270 is about as heavy as the heaviest 243. Both are great "flat shooting" rounds and both will really reach out, but the 270 is markedly more powerful (in terms of foot pounds energy) due to the heavier bullets. If Elk, black bear, mountain sheep/goats are in the picture, go with the 270.

My pair of high powered rifles are both Ruger 77s. One is a .243, the other a .308. I figure since I'll never go to Alaska or Africa, I'm o.k. for anything in the lower states (and I don't plan on Moose or Grizzly either).

For the little stuff like coyote, fox, ground hog, prairie dogs, and those damn beavers that are eating my seedlings and ruining my creek banks, I have a nice little .223..

You can get 130 grain bullet loads for the 270 that will recoil only a little more than the 100s in the 243.

#12 ·
thanks

#13 ·
i really appreciate all the replys-- i am dealing with a new shooter and his parent- they dont make up their mind quite as fast as me!! thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.