1. We have added the ability for anyone to 'bump' threads that they have created. This is mainly useful in the classifieds area where posters constantly bump for sale threads to bring it to the top. This allows them the ability to do that without having to clutter the thread with extra 'TTT' and 'Bump' type posts. To bump it, go inside your thread and click on 'Thread Tools' at the top, then select 'bump'. You can bump only once per 24 hour period.

For more detailed information please see this post: Thread Bump Functionality.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

WTB .243 or .270

Discussion in 'Want to Buy/Trade Threads' started by acss, Nov 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0

looking for a deer rifle for a new hunter! needs a .243 or .270- yes of course there is a budget? wally riebesell 660-744-4115

2. randy-s

randy-s Member

0   0   0

Might you be interested in a Remington 721 with Weaver K 4 scope on it? Truly a classic. If so give me a call at 530 409 0655 or send a PM or email. Randy Shelton

3. acss

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0

will talk wed,thanks

4. ScottEslick

ScottEslick Member

0   0   0

I have a Remington Model 760 with a scope in great shape.

Scott

5. Joe Woods

Joe Woods Well-Known Member

0   0   0

I would stick with 243 Win.,Savage make a bolt action Model 11 FCX. Clip load.

Joe Woods/Ontario

6. acss

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0

thanks- am looking for a youth and probably a bolt action

7. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

0   0   0

Remington 700 in 243 caliber. Great trigger, easy to clean and maintain, and will keep its value over the years. HMB

8. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Bass Pro Shops and Cabellas as well as Dick's and other sporting goods stores often have specials on just what you're looking for, an inexpensive bolt-action in .243 Winchester with an entry-level 3-9x40mm scope already mounted and bore-sighted.

They usually are Savages with shorter synthetic stocks and they really are good rifles. Sometimes you'll find them with blind magazines, hinged floorplates or detachable box magazines for anywhere from $399 to $499. For a brand-new rifle that isn't a cheaply-made piece and comes with a scope (and sometimes a sling and soft case as well), that's a great buy. Some even offer a second adult-sized stock for $50 by mail.

Two years ago, my then-30 year-old daughter announced that she might want to become a hunter. My son was about to become engaged and his girlfriend had already taken up archery hunting, so I bought one of those Savage .243 youth rifles for them to use. (Smaller-framed folks kid themselves by trying to handle a full-length stock.) I did replace the scope with a Leupold VX-1 but the one on the rifle worked well enough for someone who didn't know any better. I installed a one-inch recoil pad when my son shot test loads in it and then sighted it in for the load it liked best. That made the stock long enough for most shooters to shoot comfortably.

Will they shoot? Ours puts five 95-grain Nosler Solid Base Ballistic Tips into .876" at 100 yards at an average muzzle velocity of 3,023fps and an extreme velocity spread over the five shots of just 14fps. No bedding work was needed and the AccuTrigger was easily adjusted to a nice, safe hunting trigger that was still manageable for shooting from a bench.

For me, one of those would be a no-brainer (and I'm a huge Model 700 fan).

Ed

9. gridlock

gridlock Member

0   0   0

I have a Rem. 700 Classic 243 with a 3x9 Leupold scope that I might sell. Gun is 98% and shot less than 75rds.You can PM me for more details. Thanks

10. Anthony12ga

Anthony12ga Member

0   0   0

I have a new in the box Remington 700 ADL 243 youth model with an extra full length stock. Both stocks are the injected molded synthetic stock. The youth stock is probably 1" to 1 1/2" shorter. It has a 20" barrel with sights.
    Looks like the attached photo. Let me know if you're interested.
    Reasonably priced, I'm looking at a used Shotgun so I could use the extra cash.

[​IMG]

11. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

0   0   0

Depends on what the long term plans are. If it to be a deer/antelope/coyote/prairie dog gun, go for the 243. The 270 is a whole nother animal...based on the 30-06. Lightest bullet for the 270 is about as heavy as the heaviest 243. Both are great "flat shooting" rounds and both will really reach out, but the 270 is markedly more powerful (in terms of foot pounds energy) due to the heavier bullets. If Elk, black bear, mountain sheep/goats are in the picture, go with the 270.

My pair of high powered rifles are both Ruger 77s. One is a .243, the other a .308. I figure since I'll never go to Alaska or Africa, I'm o.k. for anything in the lower states (and I don't plan on Moose or Grizzly either).

For the little stuff like coyote, fox, ground hog, prairie dogs, and those damn beavers that are eating my seedlings and ruining my creek banks, I have a nice little .223..

You can get 130 grain bullet loads for the 270 that will recoil only a little more than the 100s in the 243.

12. acss

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0

thanks

13. acss

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0

i really appreciate all the replys-- i am dealing with a new shooter and his parent- they dont make up their mind quite as fast as me!! thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.