1. We have added the ability for anyone to 'bump' threads that they have created. This is mainly useful in the classifieds area where posters constantly bump for sale threads to bring it to the top. This allows them the ability to do that without having to clutter the thread with extra 'TTT' and 'Bump' type posts. To bump it, go inside your thread and click on 'Thread Tools' at the top, then select 'bump'. You can bump only once per 24 hour period.

For more detailed information please see this post: Thread Bump Functionality.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

WTB - 22lr target pistol

Discussion in 'Want to Buy/Trade Threads' started by dmarbell, Feb 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dmarbell

dmarbell Active Member

0   0   0

I'd like to buy a 22lr target pistol. Like a Ruger 22/45 or Browning Buckmark. I can't shoot a pistol well, and I'd like to have something inexpensive to learn with, while running bricks of 22's thru it.

Don't bother with retail prices, 'cause I'm cheap. Plus, I promise to pass the savings on to the next deserving buyer. I've done it before, as I sold a BPS Trap with a few hundred rounds for the $400 I paid for it, and a Springer 1911 with less than a box thru it for under $500 with five extra mags and holster, and an 1187 Trap with shortened stock for the $300 I paid.

Aesthetics are not important, as long as if functions as advertised.

Danny
    (remove the xxx's on my email)

2. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

0   0   0

Just suck it up and buy a Smith and Wesson long slide Model 41 and keep it for the rest of your life and make sure it is specifically itemized in your will. The Model 41 will be a gift that will give twice and keep on giving and that purchase will be cheaper in the long run. You deserve it; be good to yourself.

3. algebra1

algebra1 Member

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0

I would buy a nice TC contender.

4. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

0   0   0

Ruger 22/45 should be available for around $300 and will last you the rest of your life......I picked one up at retail a couple months ago for $259 with fixed sights and it is darned near right on. Really, you should look for an older Mark I or Mark II target bull barrel. I've had one for about twenty years and shot a trunkload of ammo through it.

Buckmarks for around 250-275 are common. I'd try to stick with either the Ruger or the Browning unless you get really lucky on a 41 smith or a 617 smith.

BTW..stay the heck away from Sig mosquito...about one in eight has to go back for work.

Smith 22 is just O.K. I wouldn't want to shoot brick after brick through them and expect longevity. We've already sent a few back for rework after having them used in bullseye classes.

5. RunGunIPSC

RunGunIPSC TS Member

0   0   0

Shop the local gun shops & shows & you will see a lot. You can try them for feel even if you cant shoot them. The best choice in your price range is a Ruger target gun with adjustable sites & longer bbl. A decent used one can be had for $300-350

6. Loyac

Loyac Member

0   0   0

I used to own a Beretta 89. VERY accurate. John

7. trapshooter5

trapshooter5 Member

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0

Danny:
    Do yourself a favor-Buy a new Ruger pistol! I shoot a stainless,bullbarrel 22/45
    with adj sights. You can shoot it forever or shoot it until you are tired of it and not lose much money.They have a bunch of different models and variations,but I recommend the heavy barrel! Have I steered you wrong in the past? Paul G. in (Blizzard conditions) Virginia

8. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

0   0   0

Geez man, bite the bullet and buy a ruger MK III with a bull barrel. Shop at the right store and it's under $350 out the door. Mine was $330. They shoot really well, are prety much unbreakable and never really depreciate.

9. dmarbell

dmarbell Active Member

0   0   0

Paul,

No you have not. Ed's Gun Shop about an hour from me has a full lineup of the Rugers at as good as internet prices. 5.5" Bull Barrel in SS for around $300!

omgb,

Nothing wrong with a man trying to save a buck or two. Just thought someone might have one they're not using. As stated before, I don't try to make money on guns, it's my hobby only. Not that there's anything wrong with those who do.

All,

Thanks for all the helpful advice.

Danny

10. GW22

GW22 Active Member

0   0   0

I believe Mark IIIs shot in high volume have had a few cracking problems around the loaded chamber indicator. Nice used Mark IIs are all over and they're a proven design. The slabsides look pretty cool if you don't want a bull barrel. Mag removal is the old style but the extra 1 second it takes to remove it won't kill you.

Have fun.

-Gary

11. Wayne of PA

Wayne of PA Member

0   0   0

Consider the Beretta Neos. Many options to choose from. Pictured is the model I own.

Dale
    [​IMG]

12. Loyac

Loyac Member

0   0   0

Don't overlook the Buckmark. Slightly more $$s than a Ruger but worth it. John

13. GW22

GW22 Active Member

0   0   0

Hey, that Beretta Neos looks like someone stole the basic look from the old Whitney Wolverine "space gun." I think they were aluminum and probably from the late 50s or 60s. Anyone remember those?

-Gary

14. chuckles

chuckles Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Danny, I have and shoot a Ruger 22/45, a S&W 22A, a Buckmark Camper and have shot most of the others at one time or another...

The only bad about the Ruger is they are a real PIA to dis-assemble and re- assemble, a real PIA....

They are all excellent for what you want to do, Ruger and BM are the most reliable and will handle all types of 22LR's...

I personally like my SW 22A the best however it is not the best available.

also Ruger now has a 22/45 with replaceable grips and that is a huge plus...

also be sure to buy a Weaver rail for the gun so you can add a Red Dot or Scope, some come with one....

regards

15. trapshooter5

trapshooter5 Member

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0

Danny: I have no problem taking the Ruger apart for serious cleaning-The issue is getting it back together properly! Keep the instruction manual in front of you the first few times. (Sometimes it is handy to have a third hand.) Buy one anyway!!! Paul in (even worse blizzard conditions) Virginia

16. dbart1948

dbart1948 Member

0   0   0

For bullseye competition, I would recommend the purchase of a Ruger MK II with a bull barrel. Add on a good set of target grips, a red dot scope, and a trigger job done by a bullseye pistolsmith and you will have an extremely accurate pistol.

I'll admit that the first few times that you field strip it and reassemble, it can get tricky. However, after you do it a few times there will not be a problem.

Good luck!

Dave

17. pez_WA

pez_WA TS Member

0   0   0

Any of these pistols are accurate enough for Bullseye shooting. I am a Bullseye ranked Expert shooter (not the best, by a long shot) and have shot tens of thousands of pistol rounds. I have been to camp perry for the national championships 3 times. So, I do have some experience at this.

The thing that distinguishes a great bullseye pistol from a good one is not the accuracy. It is the trigger. I started out with a Ruger and had trigger work done on it. Still wasn't happy with it. I had the trigger swapped out for a Volquartsen trigger. Still wasn't happy. I ended up going off the deep end and bought a Hammerli 208s. Spectacular trigger.

I would recommend the Smith Model 41 as it has a very good trigger. None of the others mentioned here will make you happy over the long run. If you can find a Hammerli 208s buy it. As you practice and improve, you want a trigger that you will be happy with as you are going to get very familiar with it. - Paul

18. GW22

GW22 Active Member

0   0   0

Pez:

The guy is honest and openly admits he's cheap, and is just trying to learn, and you want him to buy a Hammerli 208s? LOL! If he was learning to drive would you recommend a Buggatti? What's in those Pez, man?

Wow, some people's ideas just crack me up!

-Gary

19. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

0   0   0

Buy a pellet pistol, you can shoot real cheap.

20. Sigraph

Sigraph TS Member

0   0   0

No High Standards mentioned yet - Hhhmmm.

Get a 22/45 - shoots like a rifle.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.