1. We have added the ability for anyone to 'bump' threads that they have created. This is mainly useful in the classifieds area where posters constantly bump for sale threads to bring it to the top. This allows them the ability to do that without having to clutter the thread with extra 'TTT' and 'Bump' type posts. To bump it, go inside your thread and click on 'Thread Tools' at the top, then select 'bump'. You can bump only once per 24 hour period.

For more detailed information please see this post: Thread Bump Functionality.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

WTB-22-REM-BR-Dies////////////////////////////////

Discussion in 'Want to Buy/Trade Threads' started by plabels466, Apr 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. plabels466

plabels466 Member

0   0   0

I am looking to buy a set of 22-REM-BR-Rifle dies.....RCBS - Redding or?? will do.....Please drop the XXX to email.....Thanks.....Pete

2. johnjohn91387

johnjohn91387 TS Member

0   0   0

Redding is the way to go. (I load and shoot the .22 BR) The sliding sleeve on the competition seating die is unbelieveable, and the bushing style neck die lets you dial in your neck sizing down to the last .001".

The tolerances on Redding precision products leave, IMHO, RCBS in the dust. Those were your mentioned brands, but Forster also makes certain caliber dies, which may or may not include the .22BR. (I don't know). Their tolerances are not in the same league as Redding.

Redding, Redding, Redding.

John

3. johnjohn91387

johnjohn91387 TS Member

0   0   0

.22 BR was supposedly chambered by Remington in their custom shop 40X models, and Kimber did a run of varmint guns with .22BR as one of the chamberings.

There was a time I recall seeing .22BR factory ammo, I think. Maybe it was 6BR. Ain't old age great?

Other than that, I don't remember any factory chamberings.

Too bad, it'll give a 22-250 a run for the money; it's almost as fast,with same bullet, yet it uses 1/3 less powder.

It's also a lot more accurate in a custom made chamber than the ubiquitous "over the counter" .22-250.

JOhn

4. johnjohn91387

johnjohn91387 TS Member

0   0   0

from wikipedia:

"The .22 Bench Rest Remington cartridge, commonly referred to as the .22 BR Remington, is a wildcat cartridge commonly used in varmint hunting and benchrest shooting. It is based on the .308 x 1-1/2 inch Barnes cartridge, necked down to .22 caliber, lengthened by .020 inches and with the shoulder angle increased to 30°. It was first developed in approximately 1963 by Jim Stekl, and in 1978 Remington standardized the dimensions. It is renowned for its high velocities and excellent accuracy."

Personal Note: I can verify the "high velocities and excellent accuracy" portion of the blurb from Wikipedia. My .22BR will routinely group 5 shots at 100 yards in the .3 to .4 inch range.

It was the most accurate gun I had, until I had the .222 Rem. Magnum built. THAT gun shoots in the .2's, but only gets about 3500 fps or so....

5. johnjohn91387

johnjohn91387 TS Member

0   0   0

E-

You are absolutely right, and I am a perfect example to prove your point.

When I had my reamer made for my .22BR, I specified what I wanted, which is somewhat different from established .22BR norms.

Mine has a .246" tight neck, minimum SAAMI chamber dimensions, and I think I did something with the neck length as well.....it's been almost 20 years.....

John

6. plabels466

plabels466 Member

0   0   0

Relax guys. This rifle is not a tight neck bench rest build...It is being built by one of the best gunsmiths in the country...I have been a reloader of rifle-pistol- & shotgun since 1965...probably loaded 750,000 rounds...Never had a problem...We know what we are doing, OK? But thanks for your concern....EE - I shoot at Green Mills in Erie, Colorado & I would like to personally invite you to my home & to shoot at this range....Your eyes will pop out when you see all the inside ranges we shoot at up to 200 yards -yep, you read it right - indoor - up to 200 yards.....Thanks again..................Pete

7. 221

221 Banned User Banned TS Supporters

0   0   0

p...466....You can fool some of the people some of the time, but.....you know how it goes.

Those with your vast experience would not be asking trapshooters for a wildcat rifle load......It just ain't done that way, but considering your experience of course, y'all already knew this. You could drop the BS....you'd get further.

FYI.....A custom will usually have the die's made with the rifle......OH that's right you already knew that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.