1. We have added the ability for anyone to 'bump' threads that they have created. This is mainly useful in the classifieds area where posters constantly bump for sale threads to bring it to the top. This allows them the ability to do that without having to clutter the thread with extra 'TTT' and 'Bump' type posts. To bump it, go inside your thread and click on 'Thread Tools' at the top, then select 'bump'. You can bump only once per 24 hour period.

For more detailed information please see this post: Thread Bump Functionality.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

WTB 22 long rifle

Discussion in 'Want to Buy/Trade Threads' started by traedawg, Feb 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. traedawg

traedawg TS Member

0   0   0

I have a friend who is looking for a 22 long rifle, Semi auto, with a scope. He is trying to get it for his son who is 8 so he can start shooting targets. Please contact me with any help. Thanks Tanner

2. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) TS Supporters TS Supporters

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0

I have a 22mag if he would be interested in it. Bulge.

3. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

0   0   0

Check out GunBroker.com.....tons of .22s there.

AndyH ;-)

4. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

0   0   0

auto for a starter? better get a bolt so he makes one shot count

5. GW22

GW22 Active Member

0   0   0

Bolt action single shot would be safer too. Chipmunk, Cricket, etc, are available in much smaller sizes which will fiy an 8 year-old much better.

Respectfully,
    Gary

6. RunGunIPSC

RunGunIPSC TS Member

0   0   0

Whatever you buy,don't put a scope on it. Use a cheap Red Dot such as a BSA. An expensive type would be a C-More. The boy won't be doing 100-150 yard shots. It is very easy to hit targets,pay attention to trigger control,all the rest that are impt. with the dot. The worst about the red dot style is turning it off.
    For my fun 22,at 67 & being able to afford what I want,I use the BSA & a Savage Cub with Accu-Trigger. Even with a 12.3" LOP,it works with a normal size adult,yet will fit a 8 yo perfectly.

7. deercreek

deercreek Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Do the kid a favor and talk your buddy out of the auto. The kid will learn much better and responsibly with a bolt or single shot. Also he needs to learn how to use open sights FIRST !!!

8. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

A new Marlin 60 is available with the scope combo for just over $200.00 I believe. We have them at the store but I can't remember for sure how much they are. It isn't anything fancy but is a good knock around gun. Jackie B.

9. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0

Marlin bolt action- safe- accurate- and will last for generations

If for some reason he had to have an auto( which should be discouraged) a marlin 60 as mentioned above can be purchased with a scope for under 200 at many large store locations

regards from Iowa

Gene

10. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0

we just bot a winchester wildcat .22 , open sights- great lil gun-exactly like a hipower -nice wood- under $300

11. Trappy12

Trappy12 Active Member

0   0   0

Personally I'd start him out with a good old Daisy Red Rider to make sure he is responsible enough to handle a firearm and treat it with the respect it deserves.
    -Trappy

12. ogw

ogw TS Member

0   0   0

Rick check your e-mail on the nylon 66!

13. traedawg

traedawg TS Member

0   0   0

He wants a auto also for his enjoyment. HE will be present with the kid everytime he shoots it so it shouldnt be a problem. Thanks

14. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

0   0   0

You can't beat the 10/22 Ruger for the smaller shooters. Get a new one with the crappy hardwood stock and cut that down to 11" LOP. A $50 Red Dot (40mm or bigger) sight makes a great topper. When the kid wants a better shooter, the rifle can be easily reconfigured to a tack driving bull barrel varmint getter.

I don't really follow the logic that the first gun has to be an iron sighted single shot. You can teach the same principles with a detachable magazine autoloader and a dot sight gets them hitting targets and having fun right away.

15. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

0   1   0

I will say this once and to the point. ANYONE WHO STARTS A KID OUT ON A AUTO IS A FOOL> EVEN WITH A TUBE OR CLIP FEED BOLT ACTOIN. Start the kid out on a single shot rifle. One shot at a time. You as the teacher will know when its is loaded and when it is empty. I started off with a Rem single shot that you had to close the bolt then pull the firing pin back to shoot. Nice gun to teach a kid. Safety is number one. Don't get the kid started with shooting as fast as he can at a target. Bad habit to get into.

16. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

0   0   0

Auctioneer, if safety is #1 then explain how pulling a cocking knob back is such a good thing for a kid that has less than developed muscle and coordination in their hands? Better yet explain the intrinsic safety of letting that knob down when the decision is made not to fire.

How is it foolish to teach a kid the fundamentals of check the chamber and keep that bolt locked back using an autoloader? Why is shooting a bunch of rounds a bad thing if the proven way to develop skill is practice?

17. pheasantmaster

pheasantmaster Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

traedawg, I don't mean to "harp" on your friend but something that you might pass along to him. He's heading down the exact same path as parents and trapshooting. Your friend really needs to get two 22's and have one cut down to an 8 year olds size. It will be a more enjoyable experience for the youth versus trying to shoulder an adult sized stock and hit anything. Parents and teachers must realize that children are prone to walking away from items they don't acheive reasonable success in immediately these days as they have alot to choose from.

With the above being stated, do you ahve any pawn shops in the area. Remarkable buys can be had alot of times if one is willing to "dicker" alittle. How much is your buddy willing to spend? Where are you all located? I will help if I can.

18. traedawg

traedawg TS Member

0   0   0

located in rockford il . Alot of the pawn shops are in the ghetto so kinda scarry to go to them haha but will check them out

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.