1. We have added the ability for anyone to 'bump' threads that they have created. This is mainly useful in the classifieds area where posters constantly bump for sale threads to bring it to the top. This allows them the ability to do that without having to clutter the thread with extra 'TTT' and 'Bump' type posts. To bump it, go inside your thread and click on 'Thread Tools' at the top, then select 'bump'. You can bump only once per 24 hour period.

For more detailed information please see this post: Thread Bump Functionality.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

WTB-22 hornet supplys

Discussion in 'Want to Buy/Trade Threads' started by musky, Jul 24, 2013.

1. musky

musky TS Member

0   0   0

I am in need of brass, bullets,primers,and powder. If any one has any of this stuff and they want to sell it i could use it. Thanks for everything.. Larry.

2. Keith Holdwick

Keith Holdwick TS Member

0   0   0

I hope you find it. The 22 hornet is an awesome round in my mind

3. sterlingworth

sterlingworth Active Member

0   0   0

try Sinclar supply,part of Brownells. They had bullets. As far as primers go,if you have small pistol primers they work great,and try "lil" gun powder from Hodgdon's,great powder.

4. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Rating - 50%
    1   1   0

Midsouth has Hornady 45 gr Hornet bullets, price is good. I just ordered a thousand 50 grain Zmax today.

HM

5. oz

oz Active Member

0   0   0

I just saw some ammo on AR15.com hit equipment exchange then ammunition. it's on the first page

6. SeldomShoots

SeldomShoots Active Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Have to agree with sterlingworth on the "LilGun" powder. 12.5 grains and 40 grain V-max can make a dime size 5 shot group at 100 yards. Pretty good for a hornet and a shakey shooter such as myself.

7. sterlingworth

sterlingworth Active Member

0   0   0

What kind of Hornet do you have,is it an old one with a 223 bore or a newer one with a 224 bore? That can make a diff. Ray

8. musky

musky TS Member

0   0   0

The gun is a winchester model 43 serial number 9919. Not sure when it was made. I did not know till recently there was a difference, I have been shooting brand new remington and hornady rounds through it. I hope this helps. Thanks from Larry.

9. 22hornet

22hornet Well-Known Member

0   0   0

The 43's were built on a modified rimfire action. They are notorious for having excessive headspace problems. The .22 Hornets have a .224 bore. They were also available in .218 Bee and .25 Remington. There were less than 65,000 made in all calibers. The headspace issues occur when folks shoot full house hand loads through them, causing chamber pressure to be on the high end. lil gun is an excellent powder to use in those old ..22 Hornet 43's. Factory ammo will be OK, too...just not as accurate as a good handload. Just remember that whatever you load, high chamber pressure is not good for the 43's. I have a 43 in .22 Hornet, and I shoot it a lot. You can tell from my handle that .22 Hornets are my favorite little critter gun. Good luck with your vintage Winchester.

10. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0

One of my very first Pre-64 Model 70s was in .22 Hornet and it soured me on the cartridge. Terrible groups with factory ammo at the time (Mid 60s) and I hadn't yet gotten into metallic reloading. Bet I could find a good load if I still had it....

11. SeldomShoots

SeldomShoots Active Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

One other thing to consider is the seating depth on the load and whether the bullet starts out in the rifling or "jumps" into it. I have a 1730 Anschutz stainless heavy barrel. It will shoot factory 45 grain loads and give you a respectable group. But if I shoot Hornady 35 grain factory loads, shots 3 and 4 are several inches apart and number 5 is off the target. The 35 grain bullets are definately shorter and some rifles, such as my Anschutz, do not like the bullet "jumping" into the rifling. I got the best groups out of mine when the bullet is seated so that it is just about on the rifling when you close the bolt, maybe .001 off the lands. However, a friend of mine had a Ruger 77/22hornet that shot excellent groups with Hornady ammo with 35 grain V-max bullets.

12. Chichay

Chichay TS Supporters TS Supporters

0   0   0

Sterlingworth is spot-on. Older Hornets can be .223 caliber whereas the newer ones are .224. Matching your bullet to the barrel ensures optimum accuracy. Chichay

13. little gambler

little gambler Active Member

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0

Muskie,

I tried to pm you.

Do you still want the 1500 rds of new Winchester brass in the sealed bags? If not I'll put it up and sell off to someone. l.g.

14. oz

oz Active Member

0   0   0

I use 35 grain V max bullets in my CZ. It is my woodchuck gun for my yard. It blows woodchucks to hell. It will go right through the shoulders of a big chuck and they don't move. H110 or w 296.

15. Proofdoubles

Proofdoubles Member

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0

For what brand and size bullet heads are you looking?