1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

WTB: .22 cal for my young sons WTB

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by 1Ljutic1, May 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 1Ljutic1

1Ljutic1 TS Member

Hi all! I am looking for an inexpensive .22 for my two boys to shoot with. It will be used at the range only. Now, the only problem is they are little guys, 7 years old. The only thing I have found for them new is the guns by Chipmunk. They are small enough to fit them. I may go used, if I find the right gun for the right price. So, if anyone has anything they are willing to part with, you can either post it, or email me. Thanks, Steve

2. 1Ljutic1

1Ljutic1 TS Member

Still looking. Steve

3. piranha2

piranha2 TS Member

Where are you located, Steve?

4. RunGunIPSC

RunGunIPSC TS Member

Look carefully at the Savage Cub ot Cub T. They will go nuts over the swoopy,thumbhole stock on the T,it is kiddie size. I got a Cub T,put a $30 red dot I got from Midway(you have to use a Weaver 3/8" dovetail adapter)what fun. 12" pull & it fits me great. It has a great trigger & the red dot is so easy to use. They will hit everything with the first shot they fire. Put the dot on the target & pull. Whatever rifle you get,put a red dot on it. It makes it so easy for a novice,far easier than a scope & they learn to shoot with both eyes open. No eye relief worry with a red dot. My BSA was $30,a 50% off deal. Tom

5. Phil E

Phil E TS Member

I agree, that Savage Cub-T looks like a nice one. Phil E

6. 1Ljutic1

1Ljutic1 TS Member

I am in Groveland, MA, fairly close to the NH border. Steve

7. 1Ljutic1

1Ljutic1 TS Member

That Savage does look interesting. Does it seem like higher quality than the Chipmunk rifle? Steve

8. Phil E

Phil E TS Member

I would expect a tiny bit better quality in the Savage. It does weigh a little more. Another possibility is the CZ 452 Scout. A little more money, and a little more weight again, but a very good shooter; also it comes with a single-shot loading device, which seems like a great training idea. When I was seven I was roaming the hills with a 5-shot Winchester 57 about its size. Phil E

9. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I love my winchester model 25 bolt action. dad bought it manys ago. iron sights takes shorts reg and LR. best is with the shorties, no longer see those for sale though.

10. 1Ljutic1

1Ljutic1 TS Member

We looked at the CZ, they liked it, but a little heavy for a lot of shooting. I also want to keep the spending to a minimum, just in case they aren't too interested. Plus, when they get a little bigger, I will buy a 10/22 for them. I will check out the Savage as soon as I can find one in stock somewhere. If anyone does come up with one for sale, I will be interested. Steve

11. luckyshot

luckyshot TS Member

steve email sent tim

12. RunGunIPSC

RunGunIPSC TS Member

If you have a short stock it is so easy to get a couple of lite weight spacers from Brownells & put them on the stock. They finish off nicely with simplest tools. By the way,I am very impressed with the accuracy & ease of use of the Cub T. A target rifle it is not,but a load of fun for sure. One negative thing on the T,as an adult I can not get into the peep site that it comes with. The stock is made for a kid's face profile. The red dot allows the line of sight to be much higher so my head is more erect. Tom

13. Joe Woods

Joe Woods Well-Known Member

I see Mossberg has a 22 this year. Made in SouthAmerica. I think CBC.

Checkit out.

Joe Woods/Ontario

14. Old Texas Marine

Old Texas Marine Member

Steve,

I bought a Cub for my Grandson 18 mos. ago. I ordered it thinking it would come with the new blade style trigger. It didn't and the pull was very heavy. I asked my 'smith/dealer to return it. He offered to clean up and lighten the pull to 4 lbs. for free. I agreed and the rifle has been a little dream. The peep sight is easier, IMO, for new shooters to adapt to and the single shot is a better first gun. The action was stiff to start with, but has worn in nicely.

I'm sure all the old style triggers are out of the supply chain by now and the new trigger should be a better alternative.

A good value.

HBT

15. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

When my son was 7 I bought him a commemorative Steven's Favorite. Of course that was about 35 years ago. But he did learn to shoot it and bagged his first rabbit with it.

I think he still has it.

Funny story about that rabbit.

After shooting it, he wanted to have it stuffed so he could keep it in his bedroom

I said, no way! I'm not paying good money to have a rabbit stuffed.

Well, being 7 years old, he already knew how to use his "old man".

He looked at me and said, "Dad, you stuffed your first goose".

What the heck could I say, he got his rabbit stuffed......lol

Hauxfan!

16. LUGNUTZ426

LUGNUTZ426 TS Member

I BOUGHT MY SON A HENRY 22 LEVER CARBINE AT DICKS. REALLY CHEAP. NICE WOOD. HE SHOT 10 BRICKS (5000 SHOTS) IN 3 WEEKENDS WITH HIS BUDDY. NEVER A MISFIRE. LIFETIME GUARANTEE. MADE IN USA. AMAZINGLY ACCURATE FOR THE MONEY. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

JOE

17. Phil E

Phil E TS Member

Henry's a good idea. Besides the 4.5-lb Youth Lever, there's the Youth Bolt at 3.25-lb. Fiberglass stock. Small, light & inexpensive. Phil E

18. 1Ljutic1

1Ljutic1 TS Member

Thanks for all the info guys. I will be ordering something on Monday. The boys have a couple more models to check out tomorrow. Steve

19. LUGNUTZ426

LUGNUTZ426 TS Member

PRICE REDUCED. $1325 SHIPPED. $1250 WITHOUT THE CASE

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.