Trapshooters Forum banner

WTB 20 Ga. Wads for Federal Hulls 7/8 oz.

8K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  skeet_man 
#1 ·
Look for the OEM Federal 20S1, or possibly the blue 20ga Windjammer. I haven't found any other wad that works satisfactorily in the 20ga hull except the OEM wad, although the 20ga Windjammer appears to have similar measurements, and I'll try that out in the spring.

#3 ·
What I've found is the primary reason they kick less is that when you use a tapered wad in a straight case, you get blow-by, a poor wad seal, and an incomplete burn (and by extension lower velocity). Lots of unburnt flakes in the barrel.

Using the straight case OEM wad, powder burns completely (no flakes in the barrel) and similar recoil to other hulls.

Using an AA wad in a 12ga straight case (Federal or import) isn't the best bet (and the aftermarket wad mfgs make wads for each design of case because of this), so it would stand to reason that the same would be true for the 20ga hulls as well.

#4 ·
Italian Gualandi wads work great in Federal/ Estates or any other 20 gauge straight walled hulls. Loaded thousands of them with International Clays and they smash targets. Originally tried other wads (for tapered hulls) and experienced too many powder blow by (total BLOOPERS) due to the wads for tapered hulls. Those just don't work in a straight walled hull.

Roger Smith

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.