1. We have added the ability for anyone to 'bump' threads that they have created. This is mainly useful in the classifieds area where posters constantly bump for sale threads to bring it to the top. This allows them the ability to do that without having to clutter the thread with extra 'TTT' and 'Bump' type posts. To bump it, go inside your thread and click on 'Thread Tools' at the top, then select 'bump'. You can bump only once per 24 hour period.

For more detailed information please see this post: Thread Bump Functionality.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

WTB 20 ga. for the wife to shoot skeet

Discussion in 'Want to Buy/Trade Threads' started by johnhefley, Sep 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johnhefley

johnhefley Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

OK, OK, I made a post requesting a Montefeltro 20 ga. youth for the wife because I'm a bit prejudiced against 1100's and 11-87's. Obviously nobody wants to play. Besides, the light weight of the Monty might produce even more recoil than she'll tolerate (at least initially).

So we'll try something else: What about an 11-87 with a short stock? Anyone have one of these?

I know I can buy a new 20 ga 11-87 and a short stock for it as well - or I could go the 11-87 compact route (21" barrel!). But I don't want to.

How about some help over here? :)

Minimum barrel length 26" preferred.
    jh

Thanks!
    jh

2. johnhefley

johnhefley Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Nice chatting with you, Mac. PM sent with my email.
    jh

3. Mike Battista

Mike Battista Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0

How tall is your wife? Consider a Beretta 391 20 ga. Youth gun for her. 24" barrel and mobile chokes.
    Mike Battista
    727 410 5212

4. jm1079

jm1079 Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0

I have a Remington 1100 20 LT with the matte black finish and short synthetic stock. Comes with a Remchoke 26 inch barrel with a middle bead. PM me if interested. JM

5. johnhefley

johnhefley Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Thanks, guys! The Missus is 5'6" tall.

I've considered the Beretta 391 youth as well. I'll contact both of you tomorrow.
    jh

6. johnhefley

johnhefley Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

OK, another member sent me the following PM (edited to protect his identity).

I thought this was an interesting point. I know there are virtually unlimited opinions out there on all sorts of topics. But I'd sure be interested in reading some responses to this one:

"Here's a suggestion. I'm assuming you reload.

I teach trapshooting to newbies that come to the club. It has been my experience that a 20 gauge and a 12 gauge have the same amount of recoil effect on a shooter. Especially a new shooter who has no experience with either gauge. One of the young shooters that came to the club as a 12 year old started with a 20 gauge. She wasn't any bigger around than a soda straw. She still isn't at 15. She has been shooting a 12 gauge O/U since she was 13.

The 20 gauge gun, using 3/4 ounce load for lighter recoil is a difficult gun to master. As a rule, most of them have no center of gravity and fail the shot load to gun weight test where recoil is concerned, thus they are hard to get into.

If it was me,.... I would reload some 7/8 ounce 12 gauge loads. Thinking the average 12 gauge weights around 7 lbs, and considering the rule of 96 (the gun should weigh 96 times the shot load) the 12 gauge actually has less recoil than the 20 gauge with the 1 ounce load. And the choice of shot sizes is greater if you are buying your shells.

Just food for thought."

7. johnhefley

johnhefley Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

One of our club fixtures, and 80 year-old gentleman gave my wife some shooting instruction Sunday, and let her shoot his K-32 in both 20 ga. and 28 ga.

She seemed not to mind the recoil of the 28 (who would?), which raises a few issues for me - ie. buying a 28 ga., new reloader, accumulating hulls, etc. etc.

I'm still sorting through the options, and unfortunately, no easy solution has presented itself - yet.

Hopefully I'll enounter one of the ladies at the club today, and maybe she can offer some insight...
    jh

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.