1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

WTB 20 ga 870 slug barrel

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by bill2, Nov 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bill2

bill2 Member

Grandson wants to get a deer. Bill2

2. bill2

bill2 Member

B.C., Serial number does not have the LW . Barrel is marked 870 express magnum so I would say standard weight. Your thoughts/knowledge appreciated? Bill

3. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Wait a minute, the gun is an Express model? Birch or synthetic stocks and a matte black finish?<br>
    <br>
    If so, it's built on the 28ga action, and will accept any barrel for this action (which is all current barrels).<br>
    <br>
    A "standard" 20ga 870 is built on the larger 12ga action. These have been out of production for a long time. These serial numbers end in X for 2-3/4" actions and N for 3" actions.<br>
    <br>
    How about posting the last letter in the serial number?

4. bill2

bill2 Member

Brian, the first letter in the s/n is an "A" the last letter is a "U".
    burch stock and forend. I believe you are correct in your statement about the Old guns being standard weight and same issue with the 1100 remington.

Hey B.C. hang in here I have need for two barrels. With two grandsons price is a consideration when you have to buy two of everything. I would not want one of the boys shorted.

The other 870 is the youth Express model with the shorter stock and 21 inch barrel. I believe it has the small reciever also.

Have you a barrel B.C., and a price please? PM to the posted email if you please.

Brian, thanks for gettiing things straightened out!

R/Bill

5. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Cabelas has 870 20ga slug barrels.<br>
    <br>
    20" smoothbore Improved Cylinder with rifle sights is $149.99.<br>
    <br>
    20" fully rifled with rifle sights is $179.99.<br>
    <br>
    18" fully rifled with cantilever scope mount $249.99.<br>
    <br>
    The above barrels are polished blue.<br>
    <br>
    18" fully rifled with cantilever scope mount for the Express (matte black) $219.99.<br>
    <br>
    Do a search on Cabelas for "870 barrel".<br>
    <br>
    If it was me, I'd go with the fully rifled with deer sights (179.99). This will give decent accuracy and range. In fact, some of the 20ga slugs for rifled barrels are flatter shooting than the 12ga slugs, and have better downrange energy retention than standard 20ga slugs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.