1. We have added the ability for anyone to 'bump' threads that they have created. This is mainly useful in the classifieds area where posters constantly bump for sale threads to bring it to the top. This allows them the ability to do that without having to clutter the thread with extra 'TTT' and 'Bump' type posts. To bump it, go inside your thread and click on 'Thread Tools' at the top, then select 'bump'. You can bump only once per 24 hour period.

For more detailed information please see this post: Thread Bump Functionality.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

WTB 1911 Style 9mm

Discussion in 'Want to Buy/Trade Threads' started by dolphin77, Sep 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dolphin77

dolphin77 Member

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0

Hello....looking to buy a 1911 type 9mm for target shooting...prefer Springfield, S and W or other....must be in excellent condition..thanks WC

2. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

0   0   0

WC.. not to butt in.. but you might also look at a 38 Super..and change barrels and bushing to a match grade one.. Floating around match grade 9mm 1911's.. You might have a very long wait.. if you really want a MATCH grade..

3. jm1079

jm1079 Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0

If you have a 1911 frame, I have a complete 9mm top unit from Springfield (USA) that has an adjustable target rear sight, and a 9mm mag. PM me if you are interested. I do have a frame if you dont. JM

4. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

0   0   0

That would be a great start.. Springfield makes some very nice quality stuff.. However.. if its going on a 45 acp frame.. the feedramp may or may not functiion correctly.. Going to a ramped barrel and having the frame cut to match would be the answer to that problem.. How much are you asking for the slide?? Do you have the barrel for it??? All Good.. Mike

5. jm1079

jm1079 Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0

It is a complete conversion kit, i.e, slide, barrel, bushing, guide rod, spring, magazine and ejector. I have tried it on a couple of 45 acp 1911 frames and it performed flawlessly and very accurately. It wont be cheap. JM

6. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

0   0   0

I had a genuine Colt 9mm conversion complete in the box, wish I hadn't sold it because they are rare. Hard to resist when someone offers you way more than what you think it's worth, oh well.

7. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

0   0   0

jm1079.. you're right.. I probably can't afford the slide and barrel.. Please accept my most humble appology for asking..

8. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

Rating - 95%
    24   1   0

After you satisfied your 9 mm urge, if you want a 10 mm conversion for $295, let me know.

9. jm1079

jm1079 Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0

PerazziBigBore I did not say you cant afford it. I said it wont be cheap. jm

10. GW22

GW22 Active Member

0   0   0

Here's a nice stainless Springfield on GB...

-Gary

11. BrowningPotato

BrowningPotato TS Member

0   0   0

I suggest you look at the Sig X5 tactical, it is spendy but it is probably one of the most accurate 9's out there and feels quite a bit like a 1911. That would be my 9 of choice at this point, absolutely no recoil, it honestly feels like a pellet gun.

12. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

0   0   0

Steve.. What ya got??? I've got 4 frames on the workbench.. I do have a call for a Commander slide to put on a Officers model frame.. I might shorten a full length.. and keep the stroke long..

13. dolphin77

dolphin77 Member

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0

Thanks for the ideas....I have a Springfield on back order, was looking for something else for the time being.....but I had not thought of a conversion. Is it possible to convert a 1911 from a 45 to 9mm...if so, how and how much....Thanks WC

14. ccw1911

ccw1911 Member

0   0   0

To convert a 45 1911 to 9mm you would need a complete top end: a 9mm slide that will fit on the frame, barrel and bushing, recoil spring, plug and guide, firing pin, firing pin stop, and extractor. Also the ejector on the frame will have to be changed and you will need a 9mm magazine.

In some cases the feed ramp on the frame won't match up correctly with the barrel so some work may be needed in that area. The slide stop is also slightly different on the 9mm\38 super but the 45 slide stop will probably be ok.

15. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

0   0   0

Thanks Ross.. You beat me to posting your name up here.. You left out one minor thing.. 2 slides on a target 1911.. In my book NOT... just a field do all.. maybe.. But I leave 1911 answers to the KING.. What say you???

16. ccw1911

ccw1911 Member

0   0   0

I have built some match grade guns with two slides but it is not easy to do right without compromising one of the fits, so you are correct it is something better suited to a field grade pistol.

You have to pick threw enough slides to find a couple with the right dimensions that will allow fitting to one frame in order to maintain a match grade fit on both. Plus there are other factors that come into play as you know. Accurails is an option to get two or more slides to fit one frame but I prefer a regular hard fit slide to frame.

Most people find they would rather have two complete pistols than changing back and forth.

17. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

0   0   0

Ross.. I might be wrong.. but from what you've taught me.. it's all about fit.. fit.. fit.. The tiny details count for everything..unless you just want a gun to go bang.. As each shot is fired..something wears.. as you shoot alot.. there is more wear.. Keeping 2 slides and 1 frame in harmony is a very tough thing to do.. With a Foster frame at under $130.00 retail..I see little need for 2 slides.. I'd sooner have multiple barrels properly fitted.. Say a 45 ACP and a 38/45 for target work..

18. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0

Before you buy the X5 9mm, get on the Sig forum and check it out.
    Huge problems with "fail-to-extract". Mine has been back to Sig
    once and to Bruce Gray twice. Still not reliable. The problem
    seems to be in the extractor design. It fails to hold the case
    against the breech face firmly enough.

19. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

0   0   0

Not a problem with 1911's

20. ccw1911

ccw1911 Member

0   0   0

PBB you are right, when you consider wear and all the trouble it is it's not really worth it to fit another slide. The 22 conversion units are ok but the good ones don't depend on slide to frame fit, the barrel fits directly to the frame.

That is not good to hear Sky Buster, if Bruce Gray can't fix your X5, you probably know this but he is a very sharp gunsmith and the man on Sig's.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.