1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

WTA cancelled another shoot

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by JayFredMuggs, Apr 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JayFredMuggs

JayFredMuggs TS Member

WTA (Wilmington Trapshooting Association) has done it again. They cancelled the Hodgdon Powder shoot today. This is the second time in recent memory that shooters have come to a shoot only to have shoot management (or lack thereof) cancel the shoot because of a bad weather report.
    Delaware shooters need a reliable place to shoot so we can get our minimum target requirements for the Delaware State shoot at the end of May. This is the only facility left in Delaware that hosts registered shoots, and apparently WTA management couldn't care less about Delaware's shooters.
    The weather was overcast, with a light fog rolling in, but no rain. Two shooters had driven almost two hours from Seaford and Bridgeville Delaware, only to be turned away. More shooters were on the way from Maryland, luckily I was able to contact them before they got on the road.
    This is a great dis-service to all Delaware Trapshooting Association members as well as the sponsor of the shoot, Hodgdon Powder Company. Perhaps it's time for the Delaware Association to sanction this club much the way that the Maryland Association penalized Loch Raven gun club by only giving WTA one date in the future. (Are you listening Shotgun Johnny?)
    As for the State Shoot, I feel that the Association should drop the minimum target requirements for resident shooters this year. It's hard enough to get minimum target requirements before the shoot at the end of May, let alone when your only club in the State cancels shoots for no good reason. Is WTA going to be able to hold a State shoot in 2012 after Millington shuts down? Does this mean the death of trap shooting in Delaware?
    As for me, I'll shoot my registered targets in nearby Maryland at clubs that take care of their members. Harvey's Cedar, Millington, Carney, PG, Kent County Gun Club, Synepuxent, and Thurmont are a few of the clubs that know how to treat their customers, and although it takes a little more gas to visit these clubs, I don't know that any of them have ever turned away shooters because the news reprots were calling for rain. Most of us will shoot in any kind of weather, a light fog isn't the worst condition I've ever shot in.
    In my humble opinion, trapshooters and small clubs are under enough pressure to survive given economic conditions and pressure from civic assocations and Obama lovers. When the last gun club in the state turns it's back on shooters, is the death of Trapshooting not far behind?
    Jay Faulkner

2. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

This is a sign of the times . The guys that run the club don,t care if anyone really shoots or not . As long as the card game (bull shit) is live and well good enough . You have a gun club in name only .

3. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Doesn't WTA have a phone that shooters can call to find out if the weather is canceling the shoot??

MK

4. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

What was the weather ACTUALLY like?

5. 25 nout

25 nout TS Member

Where is grnberetcj (Curt)? He always has an opinion?

6. b12

b12 Well-Known Member

Put someone else in charge. Are you sure that Naziy Plosie insn't running that club.

7. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

In today's world of hi-tech electronics I'm sure there was a current weather radar available which apparently no one at the club utilized.

Weather guru's predicted strong storms with 1" + accumulation. As usual, this did not occur and all we got in the area was some mist.

Had it been my decision, I would have run the shoot.

Hindsight is always 20/20.

Curt

8. JTEA

JTEA Member

Might as well blame me, good a reason as any. I, for one, watched the weather report for several days and chose to shoot at So. End in Reading, PA on Saturday. That was my $100 for the weekend. That's the future we face - they had only a dozen squads vs. the 50 > 60 squads in the past, with gorgeous weather.

In fact I followed this post from Dirk's to see when the Powder Shoot would be rescheduled. I attended the last WTA shoot, my first visit in over a decade, and I enjoyed myself. This reminds me of another recent post where two shooters were complaining that they were delayed at Glen Rock by some Youth League shooters. Turned out it was due to previous problems in the day, yet the old timers were belly aching within earshot of the young shooters. The post has since been changed by the originator with an apology.

http://www.trapshooters.com/cfpages/sthread.cfm?threadid=217564

It seems that as the wheels come off this game we have the opportunity to:

A) see it for what it is and try to work together to keep it going

OR B) Pick the carcass and help expedite the demise so in only a few years a handful of people can sit at home and rub their last trophies won.

Publicly putting down a club with all their decisions to be made isn't going to help trapshooting as a whole. I have always understood the powder shoot to be one of WTA's main shoots in terms of making a little money for the club. I would imagine they decided to reschedule for economic reasons. End of the world if you have to shoot with a penalty this year? If WTA and Millington close who will you then blame? Will it really be a state shoot, if it's held in another state?

How about a web site update as of, say 9 am as to whether a shoot will be canceled or not? Or at least a phone line recording with current status - that's fairly simple.

Can't we all just get along? HA!

JT

9. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

ALF99 - You are so right. I have watched several clubs succumb to the good ole boy card players who could care less about the shooting or shooters. They would rather sit in the club and play cards, drink & smoke.

10. Mike Michalski

Mike Michalski Member

Western Wayne County Conservation Association in Plymouth Michigan has 3 trap fields, 3 skeet fields, 5 stand, archery range, 3D archery walk through, outdoor airgun range, outdoor handgun range, 50, 100, 200 yard rifle ranges. The most popular and profitable enterprise at WWCCA? The bar!

11. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I've shot at WTA many times and always enjoyed myself, so I hate to hear this kind of thing. On the other hand, the club may have lost money hosting a handful of shooters while still paying the help for a full day.

I've active in dirt track racing as a sprint car technical inspector for Williams Grove and Lincoln Speedways. Those businesses face the same problem - hold the race in the face of a poor weather forecast and suffer a light crowd while still paying all the help and a full purse or call it a rain-out and hear from the fans for a week about how it never really rained.

But to echo what JTEA suggested, every track in this area (seven of them, I believe) has a website where they post closures so fans don't even have to call the track office. There also is a service called RainedOut.com where businesses can register and there is no charge for the service. You simply tell your fans/customers to also register with them and when you notify RainedOut.com that you have cancelled, they in turn send your fans/customers an email or a text message or both. Williams Grove started using it to notify us officials but now encourages fans to use it, too.

Ed

12. N. J. BOB

N. J. BOB Active Member

As usual talk is cheap. Go to management and offer your help. Maybe one of you could set up a computer system that would resolve the communications problems ? I was there on Saturday, and they did not make the decision to close until the AM when it was raining like hell...

All I ever see there is the same few people just trying to do a job, with no real help...

13. AveragEd

Sorry - I thought I was offering constructive information...

Ed

14. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Ed,

Thanks for the "Rain-Out" info. I'll ascertain if there is a service as mentioned in our area and pass it along to the WTA officials. I'll even ask the DTA to pay for it, if not I will out of my pocket.

Thanks again,

Curt

15. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

A rain out? That is truly a knee slapper. LOL

Ajax

16. AveragEd

Curt, I believe the service is national and there is no charge to anyone for using it.

Ed

17. JJJ

JJJ TS Member

Three of us from the Denton-Greensboro area drove to WTA to shoot,only to find the shoot was cancelled. We were to say the least irate. I am not talking about this recent cancellation,but a previous one.It seems to me,that unless a club has an automatic answering device,the people running the shoot have enough work to do,rather than manning a telephone to say yes or no!
    I know the originator of this thread,& he is a fine gentleman with a head on his shoulders that serves for more purpose than to prop a hat on. In other words,stop & reread what Jay has said,all of it makes sense & is true. He is just trying to maintain a facility for the shooters of Delaware.
    I assume,like Jay,I'll be pounced on.However,due to some health problems,other than I can't break the targets.I have not been shooting too often.However,I can assure you the powder shoot would have been on my agenda.I think it was one of the main attractions to shoot at WTA.It would be putting it mildly to say I would have been upset,if I drove to WTA,only to have another shoot cancelled.
    Jay,does not speak with a forked tongue.Like I said,he is trying to save Delaware's trapshooting. Joe Jordan

18. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Joe,

You're probably right about Jay being a nice guy and smart, but you're wrong about Jay wanting to better the trapshooting in Delaware. He has never once volunteered not lifted a finger to help in any way, shape or form! He even won a ATA trophy at last year's state shoot and never even stayed around to receive it nor has he even inquired about it. That in itself should tell you he's not interested in doing anything.

Could notifications been better, yes. I'm (the DTA) now in the process of working on a notification system for the shooters to use so as to stop shooters from making a unnecessary trip.

Curt

19. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Trapshooters don't shoot in rain?

20. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Hahahahaha... nothing like holding up a metal tube in the rain to attract lightning!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.