1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

WT 12 Wads for 1 oz. load

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by jerryw, May 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jerryw

jerryw TS Member

Has anyone used orange WT 12 wads for 1 oz. loads? Accurate powder lists one for Solo 1000 powder. I have been loading 1 oz. loads for sometime but am about out of CB 1100 wads but, I have several bags of WT 12's. I have used these for 1 1/8 but never for 1 oz. I will be using Solo 1000, W-209, and STS hulls.

Thanks

Jerry Walker

2. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

I use the WT12 wad for 1oz loads with 17.5 grains of Red Dot, winchester primer and hull. It's been my best 1 oz load to date.

3. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Why not just use a 1oz wad to begin with? The few times I tried a WT-12 for a one ounce load, the crimps were not acceptable and would have required more effort to resolve than it was worth. There are a few loads listed for 1oz with that wad, but exactly that, "few". To get a decent crimp, a very bulky powder would be almost mandatory with that wad. I'll use the WT-12 wad for 1 1/8 oz in a heartbeat, but it wasn't great for the 1oz idea. Your results might be different, since I didn't try Solo 1000.

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

I use the WT12 wad for 1 oz loads using Win powder. The crimp problem that Quack mentions was solved by giving the starter crimp 2 turns down on my Mec 9000G. HMB

5. leadspreader

leadspreader TS Member

the only 1 1/8 oz wad i have used for 1 0z is fed 12s3 in fed paper with solo 1000. great load, great crimp, but the only downfall is it requires 19-20 grs of solo. kind of a waste of powder when other loads with 1 oz wads only require 17-18 grs. I also load wt12 wads and w114f as 11/8 loads in rem.sts hulls with great results.

6. cottondoctor

cottondoctor Member

Yes - have used the ww orange wad for 1 oz loads using clays and green dot in winchester and remington hulls. It fits well and works fine for me

7. Roger Brenner

Roger Brenner Member

Jerry: I prefer the Claybuster replacement as it stands slightly taller for a better crimp on a 1 ounce. Here is my economy load (figures to be $3.69/box on todays prices):

Claybuster WT12, Winchester hull, Fiocchi primer, 1 ounce shot, 18.0 grains promo. Roger

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.