1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

WT-12 vs WAA12 wad

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by C-Money, Jun 10, 2013.

1. C-Money

C-Money Member

I have mad a change to Promo powder from Clay Dot. Looking at Alliant reloading web page, 18.3 grains of Promo will get you 1200fps with the WAA12 wad, and 18.5 using the WT-12 gets you 1145. I have looked these wads over and only see a change in color. They appear other wise identical. Anyone have any idea why they perform differently according to the load data? My loader dropping 18gr of Promo, so I loaded a box of WAA12s and a box of WT-12. I really did not see any difference in shooting them. Shot the WAA12s first and broke a 25, followed by a 23 with the WT-12s. I use STS type hulls.

2. shadow

shadow Active Member

They are supposed to be the same --except--the orange ones do not like cold weather. Made from a different plastic formulation I guess.

3. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

I have found that the orange wads are ever-so-slightly taller than the white wads. They work better with dense powders, like Titegroup or Super Handicap.

4. 2llc

2llc Well-Known Member

If you get the chance you might give the Green Duster a test....... I believe you might find them very loadable and shootable........ Connies now has them available...... I load them in anything Remington and have tried them in a couple of Federal Top Gun loads with great results... I use 18.7 of the Promo with a bit over 1200fps as the result......... Larry

5. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

The WT-12 is actually shorter, stand them side by side you can see about .060
    Shorter I have found you can load 1 3/16ths- 1 1/4 oz w WT-12 in some hulls.

I do load the Top Guns w/WT-12 1 1/8th oz using Promo and Red Dot, this shell really performs.

Gary Bryant
    DR.longshot

6. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

If memory serves, the WT12 was originally introduced as a less expensive version of the WAA12 in order to compete with the generic versions. But they tend to produce different pressure/velocity ratios most likely due to plastic composition being used.

7. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

I found a bag of WT12's in a garage sale about 10 years ago. I shoot a 100 birds with good results, but when I went to clean the gun, I've never seen so much plastic in the barrel. A Winchester Rep. was at Indiana Gun Club, and told me they are less expensive because they are made using recycled plastics. I have not used them since.

Wayne

8. C-Money

C-Money Member

Good info, Thanks. I have thought about the Green Duster, and I think it would be a good choice. Only reason I am looking at the WAA12, is with the 18gr Promo my current bushing is dropping, the load is close to 1200fps. Guess I need to put the next size up in and see what it drops.

9. 2llc

2llc Well-Known Member

I ran a couple loads through my chronograph today, I used the Federal primer. The supply of FIO is pretty much dried up locally. I found the Federal added about 45fps to the load. Perhaps all you need to do is change the primer and leave the powder as it is??? Larry

10. C-Money

C-Money Member

Larry, did you use the WT-12? I gotta get a chronograph!

11. 2llc

2llc Well-Known Member

I did it with the green duster wad..... The WAA12 gives similar results in the Remington hulls. The WT12 is impossible to find locally. Matter of fact its getting damn hard to find anything.

Larry

Search tags for this page

waa12 vs wt12

wt wad vs wtw wad

wt12 vs waa12