1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

WT-12-Orange Loads?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by kene, Sep 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kene

kene TS Member

Am looking for WT12 loads using Clays in AA hulls with Win209 primers. Preferably 1oz. Does anyone use a load close to that and how does it work? Also it seems that WT12 pressures are high for comparable velocities -- is there a good reason for that??

thanks

kene

2. mag410

mag410 Active Member

I assume you have been to Hodgon's website and did not find any one ounce loads with the WT12? The reason is the WT12 is a nominal 1 1/8 ounce wad and it does not fill the hull well with one ounce of shot. That is why they list the WAA12SL which is a longer one ounce wad. Before one ounce wads became readily available there was quite a bit of data that called for a 20 gauge fibre card-wad to be placed in the bottom of the shot cup to fill the extra space.

Michael

3. kene

kene TS Member

Michael -- looked at Hodgdon, Alliant, and all the hard copy manuals I have -- info says that wt-12 loads are the same as WAA12 but no one is listing 1oz that either probably for the reason you say -- those are optimized for 1 1/8. had wondered about using card-wads so if you could point me to some older data [on line] using them I would appreciate it -- I don't have any of the old manuals as just got into this [again] a year ago after being away for 20 years and tossing all the old books I had in the meantime

4. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I use the orange WT12 wads a lot but only for 1 1/8 oz loads. There are many good wads available for 1 oz loads so why waste time trying to use WT12 for a purpose it is not designed for ?

5. mag410

mag410 Active Member

Kene,

I can't find any card wad data, because Clays is a relatively new powder, by the time it was introduced there were plenty one ounce wads available.

Michael

6. BigDave1200

BigDave1200 Member

Kene
    I dont know of any data for clay's powder but my Alliant book lists for 1oz wwaa hulls with a ww209 primer the following

17.5 grains of red dot @ 1200fps & 10600psi

19 grains of american select @ 1200fps & 8400psi

19.5 grains of green dot @ 1200fps & 8100psi

I only use the WT12 wad for 1-1/8 loads as that is what they are really intended for.

Dave

7. kene

kene TS Member

thanks everyone -- will see what i can find now that i know loads for wt12 and waa12 are the same -- that will make it a bit easier. this is an experiment to answer a question from someone at the club -- have / use waa12SL and the CB clones for 1oz -- looking to see if i can tell the difference between them and the wt12 / waa12.

kene

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

loads for wt-12 hulls