1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

WST Powder

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Neil Winston, Nov 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

When I used it it was very clean, just what my 303 needed. I kept speed up to Light at least, but it worked great. In fact, I just used up a tall MEC bottle of it which must have been on the shelf for 10 years and it still worked like a charm, though I never liked the smell. All in all, I thought is was at the very top of anyone's line of powders.

Twenty and a half grains of it in just about any top-grade components is as solid and trustworthy a load as I've ever used.

Neil

2. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Gotta agree with Neil on this one. Great powder, although a bit pricy. After all, it's the same powder used in AA's. Unfortunately, I also shot tons of it's predecessor, 452AA, in my old 1100. It had to be the dirtiest burning powder ever in a semi-auto!!

3. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

WST needs a really tight deep crimp in hulls that have not been reloaded more than a couple times...it is unavoidably dirtier if shot in low temps outdoors

4. poacherjoe

poacherjoe Well-Known Member

I love this powder and it's predecessor 452AA! But as stated above It is dirty when loaded "light".I prefer to use it in the break open gun.Very soft shooting!19.5 grs per 1 oz load=1235fps in the STS with 12sl wad

5. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

I've used it for many years. It is great powder.

I let the next shell clean the barrel - it's not big deal.

I don't consider it a very soft shooting powder, however.

Whiz

6. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Great powder and a bit pricey. It works fine when loaded properly with reliable data. The AA hulls seem to have a slight advantage, with some loads giving slightly lower pressures than some loads in the STS. It's also very dense.

7. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

If you mix equal parts of 452AA and WSF together will that give you WST? HMB

8. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

Ditto to what Neil Winston said, even to the 20.5 grains, which I use in 1 oz and 7/8 oz loads. When loading 1-1/8 oz, I use 20.0 grains for max, and 18.5 for light. Yeah, it stinks and can leave residue in the barrel, but I don't care about that, because it turns my targets into inkblots, providing I am pointing the gun correctly.

One extra benifit I find is I can find this powder just about anywhere, anytime. Everyone else is hooked on Clays, 700X or Red Dot, and those are the ones that are short in supply.

9. Smithy47

Smithy47 Member

I have been loading with WST for trap using 20 grains powder, Federal (Walmart)hulls, Winchester 209 primers with a 12SO wad, 1oz of shot. Smokes them from the 16 yard line. Light recoil and the cheap hulls seem to be holding up very well. Bob

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

barrel residue from wst powder