1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

WSRC versus Vandalia

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by proctrc, Aug 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. proctrc

proctrc TS Member

I attended Vandalia as a shooter and as a spectator with my father who's shot
    at the Grand for over 25 years. I've attended every Grand since it moved to
    the WSRC and I have to say I like the facilities of the WSRC much better than
    Vandalia. The Grand out grew Vandalia and its aging facilities. Over the
    last several years at the WSRC I've taken my personal pole asking individuals
    which facility they like best. Only one individual did not like WSRC while
    all others like WSRC much better. Everyone agreed that they miss the
    closeness of Vandalia which allowed you to socialize and see old friends
    easier. I hope as the years go bye that they find a way at the WSRC to make
    it easier for shooters to socialize and see old friends. There will always be
    those old timers that will refuse to attend the Grand at WSRC but they are the
    ones that are hurting themselves most by missing out on a great opportunity to
    continue the great Grand tradition at a new facility.

2. Bubba

Bubba Member

Same pot, different stir.

3. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

There is nothing in the rules that mandate anyone going to the Grand nor is there anything that says those who choose not to have to answer to anyone other than themself for not going ... Its called freedom of choice and it works well ... I hear people say all the time F#$@ those that do not want to come, we don't need them, Fact is: They need every shooter they can get to attend and more to make it successful ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

4. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

There is no versus - One exsists and the other doesn't.

Don

5. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

You are correct Don, and the one that we have is far superior to the one that's gone. Just need to work out a few kinks. Please let me know where the rib-eyes will be. LOL, Bob

6. The Rock

The Rock Active Member

Like making love to a camel, may work if it is all you have but a far cry from the real thing.

As the wife says "a little is a lot if it is all you got". And I just act like I don't know what the hell she means.

Rock

Jim

7. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Vandalia is in the "Was" category and in my opinion should have been bulldozed many years before it finally was.

With the other great venues to shoot, it'll be better to leave the past where it is...in the past 'cause there ain't no going back!

Sparta may not be the best venue, but it sure beats the hell out of "No Place".

Curt

8. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

Why do SO many feel the need to cheerlead for Sparta, they built it, they will come.......Leave the Vandalia memories alone already! You CAN'T take them away!!!

9. Frank C

.....can't and won't....

10. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

Frank C

"Leave the Vandalia memories alone already! You CAN'T take them away!!!"

Frank I can't speak for the rest but I am not trying to take them away as the have there place. I don't however think they have a place in a comparison of what was and what is. They belong in discussions about memories you know the ones no one can change or take away.

Bob Lawless

11. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Rock---Are you sure you and Frank C aren't husband and wife. I would swear that you two hold hands and discuss what to say next. Get real you two ,what you are doing is ruining Vandalia's memories instead of preserving them. Its time to move on whether you go to "The Real Grand" in Sparta or not. I've asked this before and i'll ask it again, what if everybody that made Vandalia what it was had been cry baby's like you two? Would it have been the memory it is now? I guess you two just don't get it. What events are you two shooting this week at Vandalia anyway? Oh, i forgot, there isn't any.-----Matt

12. proctrc

proctrc TS Member

Vandalia was a lot of good memories for shooters, staff and families and you
    can't take those away and nobody is trying to do that. The fact of the
    matter is the decision was made several years ago to move from Vandalia
    to another location and the state of Illinois stepped up to plate with the
    WSRC at Sparta. For the good of the sport and the enjoyment that the
    Grand brings I would hope that those that have hard feelings about the loss
    of Vandalia will eventually put it behind them and come to the WSRC to
    experience the beginning of a new tradition. The WSRC will never replace the
    memories of Vandalia.

Roger

13. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I'd be willing to bet that Vandalia is not as much the issue as it being relocated to Illinois is ... I would like to believe that people have accepted the fact that Vandalia was out dated and delapidated (sp) when the time came for the move to take place ... The imposed restrictions by the State of Illinois would of been the biggest concern and many people feel that by attending the shoots in Illinois is supporting the State which would love to see guns taken away from all gun owners ... The restrictions have been relaxed to a point where the gun owners can exercise the rights to own and shoot guns which at this point benefits the state though probably not as much as the State expected or was led to believe ... This can also be eliminated with a stroke of the pen when the time comes or if the time comes by the State or Federal Government and the facility turned into a state park and shooting cease to exist there ... The odds of this happening at this time are admittedly slim but none the less still remotely possible ... The ATA had alternatives at one time but they were eliminated by the way they were dealt with or not dealt with would be more accurate from members perspectives ... Whats done is done, now they have to make it work and that won't be as easy as they thought it would be when they made the choice ... New saying: Built it and hope they come, as opposed to build it and they will come ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

14. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Proctrc:
    i guess i am an oldtimer. i went to the grand in ohio numerous times. everytime i went i had a great time, regardless if i shot well or not. everytime that i attended the grand i felt that i was in a very special place. the history, the great shooters of the past that shot their, i felt it was an honor to particpate in the greatest trapshooting tournament in the world. i compared the grand in ohio to lambeau field in greenbay, there was something very special about the place. some shooters forget that the ATA would have never left ohio if they didn't have to leave. like most oldtimers, we remember the good that the grand in ohio had to offer. although i have never gone to the grand in sparta, it is not due to any type of boycott, but due to fianancial reasons due to job loss. from the pictures i have seen, it appears the ATA did a great job with the facialty. i have talked to numerous shooters and most complain about the hot weather in sparta, but they say it is a first rate facialty. most people have to remember that the grand in ohio was there for countless years. like their tress, alot of us oldtimers grew up in this sport going to ohio. now it is the younger generation of shooters who will grow up and mature as they attend the grand in sparta. the trees will someday grow up too, provide shade, and someday shooters will also be proud of this facialty the way the older generation is proud of the grand that was in ohio. if you were ever on a team in highschool, you are proud of the school and fellow particpants that you were with. most people always believd that their team was the best ever. someday, the grand in sparta will be talked about in the same way. sparta someday will also have a proud history.

steve balistreri

15. Clay Addict

Clay Addict Member

When I went to Vandalia I had a great time. I have been to Sparta every year so far and had a better time. The talk of gun laws...get current. Illinois is pro gun and Cook County is anti gun. Cook County is 6 hours away from Sparta and rules have been changed to make Sparta work. To buy a gun in Sparta i have to fill out the BATF form...same as I did in Vandalia. In Illinois, they make a phone call in Vandalia they consulted a rule book to see if they could sell to a person from a particular state.

History....be part of the continued tradition and new traditions...go to The Grand.

The ATA and IDNR did a tremendous effort with great success. Is there room for improvement...yes....as there was in Vandalia.

This is a dead horse so let us quit beating it. Both places let us shoot against the best in the World! Old times were Vandalia with old and new times being in Sparta.
    See ya next year...hope I shoot a little better in 2010.
    CA

16. grntitan

CA---Well said and when you figure out how to shoot better for next year pass it on my way. I stunk up every event i was in this year. Sad part is i practice at the WSRC at least once or twice a week. I can't even use the wind or humidity excuse 'cause i'm use to both.-----Matt

17. Clay Addict

Clay Addict Member

Matt,
    I was hoping you could tell me how to shoot better.
    See ya in a year,
    CA

18. Clay Addict

Clay Addict Member

Matt,
    A buddy stopped by a moment ago and had the answer to posting better scores....don't miss. Just hought you would like to know his amazing insite.
    CA

19. grntitan

CA---That's the problem, missing is the only thing i do consistently.----Matt

20. Frank C

Et Tu Ivanhoe?

I was only at Vandalia 2 yrs, same number of times that I went to Sparta (first two). I make simple OPINIONS of my preference and get shouted down as a whiner because I made an observation. I am sorry Bob, but this is reality....in another thread all I did was post a picture of the # of squads in the Grand at Vandalia and was attacked and continually criticized for being "from Ohio" you know that is not true. And accused of having never been to Sparta, also not true. If the cheerleaders don't like me/it, whatever, I have not attacked or name called.....just stated my opinion.....I consider my banter with Barry C. a lot of fun and would look him up for a beer next season. (or IF he comes to the Cardinal ctr.)lol

For the most part you guys have to lighten up before you pop a vein!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

homegrounds vandalia