1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

WSRC/Sparta NOT Grand American, Activities?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by pyrdek, May 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

I might have a need to drive out west from Pennsylvania to Colorado this summer (late June or July) and I am wondering if it would be worth it to plan a route through Sparta. Is there any trapshooting activity or other shotgun sports available at WSRC during the summer months that is open to just general public shooting? I see the US Open Trap Shooting on an early June weekend but then no trap, except for a "Farm Bureau Shoot" one day in July, till the Grand. Since August is not available to me, the Grand is out.

If open for practice shooting is available, what are the hours and costs?

And what is their summer schedule? The WSRC website still lists their Fall and Winter hours. I didn't find any Spring or Summer hours listed.

Bigger question, is it worth routing a bit out of my way to get to Sparta for anything other than the Grand?

2. wanderer

wanderer Member

Pyrdek:

It is worth your time just to see, and tour, the facility. This is a one of a kind. G.E.G.

3. mollyone

mollyone TS Member

Closed on Monday and Tuesday, open till 10pm on Thursday All shooting sports

Trap 6.00 a round

I live 3mi from complex, retired when you come through send me PM give you grand tour

Despite what some say its a GRAND place

SHoot well jpark

4. colonel klink

colonel klink Active Member

They also have skeet & sporting clays (2 courses) available when you are there.
    really big complex. Colonel

5. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

If my trip plans work out, I will be trying to route a stop at WSRC.

One thing I noticed was when I used Google Maps to try to check out the trap line at the WSRC, I could not see any sign of any buildings, trap field layouts or any development at all. I suspect that the Google maps satellite images are several years old.

In checking other trap clubs, both in my area of northwestern PA, the Cardinal Center and Vandalia, they to were well out of date. One local club had a pond shown which has been gone for several years, Vandalia still showed all the trap fields, houses, buildings and even the parking spaces while Cardinal Center showed only a handful of traps and was still well under construction. The PA home grounds in Elysburg showed the trap fields plainly in site but again, my guess, the pictures were at least five years old.

Moral: Don't rely on Google maps for current information.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.