1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

WSRC & Google Earth

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by gdbabin, Jul 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

How come my little 8-trap local Gun Club just outside of lowly Eldersburg, MD shows up very clearly on Goggle Earth and the WSRC doesn't? I guess the images of the area were made prior to the beginning of construction.

I'd think as big as the place is the green critters on Mars could see it with their naked eye--they may even think it's some sort of inter terrestrial docking station!

Guy Babin

2. lumper

lumper TS Member

Guy ... be quite ... they are watching ... they are listening ... they know who you are ... we and now also you know the real reason why WSRC was created so keep it quite ... put your tinfoil hat on ... they are scanning.

3. C H S

C H S TS Member

Google is using a combination of old and new satellite images. I guess you figured out where some of the old ones are. They say that none of the images are more than 3 years old but I think they've been misinformed. They are in the process of updating all the old images but it's a slow process and a B-I-G planet. ( My neighbors girl works for Google)

Andy

4. OhioBob

OhioBob TS Member

The WSRC location imagery is at least several years old....not an uncommon thing in rural areas. There just isn't a real good reason to update imagery every year in farm country because so little changes on a year to year basis.

The aerial imagery from my own farm in northern Illinois is 1998 vintage....looks about the same today....Oh, I forgot, we did tear down the old corn crib.

Urban areas get more frequent imagery for a number of reasons....many of them related to property splits and real estate taxes.

Bob

5. jtf650

jtf650 Member

Mapquest shows the WSRC, but it looks like it was under construction when they took the photo. I found it hard to grasp the scale of the place- the east end is almost all the way to Rte 4. I'm looking forward to seeing it in person in just about 2 weeks. James Fawcett

6. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

Thanks James, I had forgotten to check MapQuest. Here's the link:

http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?formtype=address&country=US&popflag=0&latitude=&longitude=&name=&phone=&level=&addtohistory=&cat=&address=&city=Sparta&state=IL&zipcode=

Just copy and paste, then choose the Aerial Image tab on the upper right of the map and pan and zoom to your heart's content.

For those who haven't been, the fields that appear on the west end are banks 1-3 and the practice banks. Vendor's row and the events center (not yet built in the image) are situated south and parallel to the banks visible. Tent vendors and the banks 4-27 are to the east in line with the banks clearly visable. Camping areas are also south and east of banks 7-27.

Aren't satellite images cool!

Guy Babin

7. C H S

C H S TS Member

Don't need a satellite when an airplane will do...

<center>[​IMG]</img></center>
    Andy

8. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

Andy, you're a show off! Can you fly to Maryland and give me a lift??

9. lumper

lumper TS Member

What ... no closer shots than that? A good pilot would have buzzed along the parking lot line while holding a video recorder out the plane for a proper view and perspective of the place.

Ya know this might be really strange and awful for me to say but at some later point in time when Illinois kicks that place out of the system they got the pretty god beginning of an airport runway there .... I wonder if there is any future thoughts of an airport right there instead of skeet fields?

10. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

the image of my farm (southern Alberta) is 2 years old but many places I've looked at haven't been updated for a couple of years.

11. C H S

C H S TS Member

If you enlarge a section of the photo and look at the shadows, you can see that the sun in presently at the shooters' backs. Considering the amount of activity on the line, I would suspect it's right about mid-day.

Andy

12. bas

bas Member

John - you are correct...obvioulsy, to get the entire 3.2 mile line in, they took the photo from the east - the traps face north.

13. Joe Woods

Joe Woods Well-Known Member

For us So called high tech people with little experience. Did we ever come up with an address for the WSRC that will work on map quest.

Joe Woods/Ontario.

14. Trapshooter

Trapshooter Well-Known Member

I am with Joe Woods. What is the proper address with zip code. I need to find the best way to get there from I-70 west bound. Todd

15. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

Joe,

Put 10400 Doza Creek Rd., Sparta, IL into mapquest and you'll be real close.

Doza Creek Ts into CR18 just about opposite the Event Center. You actually enter the grounds about a mile further west on CR18.

16. Joe Woods

Joe Woods Well-Known Member

Just south of Marrisa,Il. Nice little town.
    Good ATM in small bank there.
    South end of town.

Joe Woods/Ontario.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.