1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

wrong eye dominance

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by slowdp, Jul 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slowdp

slowdp TS Member

My daughter is right handed but left eye dominate. We have tried several things without much luck except to keep the left eye closed. Have I seen a product on the market that prevents cross fire by allowing only the eye on the rib to see the bead?

2. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Best thing to use is a 3/4" piece of scotch tape on the left lens that obscures the vision of the left eye!

Curt - Delaware

3. Tailbuster

Tailbuster TS Member

You didn't say how old she is, but if she is young I would seriously consider trying to teach her to shoot lefty. If she can get by the mechanics she'll be better off for the long haul.

john

4. psfive

psfive Member

Find someone who shoots left handed and ask this person to help you. Time taken to switch her from right handed to left handed will pay off if she plans to shoot much. Dominate eyes are hard to overcome. We recently switched a 15 year old from right to left. His scores went up and he got better with each passing day.

5. laura!

laura! Member

Most women, myself included, tend to be cross dominant. I think shooting with 2 eyss helps a shooter become better faster in this sport, but whether or not it ultimately better is questionable. Nora Ross is a one-eyed shooter.

If she can shoot left handed, go for it. Personally for me, shooting left handed would be about the same as writing left handed - I could eventually do it, but I could never get smooth at it.

6. victoria K

victoria K Member

We have a groove and fiber optic crossfire eliminator add-on rib goes right on top of your existing rib. It only lets the eye looking down the rib to see the end fiber optic. You can have a look at the above web site. If you have any questions don’t hesitate to email or give me a call.
    Vicki Keen ( 661)873-7162

7. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

There are several devices to use. Look at them before you switch her.

Don

8. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Hi,

I’ll jump in on this one…
    Yes, you can teach your daughter to shoot left handed – but it would be better to switch her eye dominance – not too hard to do unless there is a marked difference in the quality of the vision between the two eyes.
    It’s part of what I do for a living, and you can get some information from my web site (look under ‘learning disorders’).
    Feel free to be in touch if you’d like more information.

David D

9. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

^ Hap

(edited)

"We are currently developing this section.

Please check again soon."

When's the site to be updated?

10. phirel

phirel TS Member

I, like Curt, prefer the small piece of Scotch tape. A piece just large enough to block the front 1/3 of the barrel will work.

Pat Ireland

11. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Had the same issue with my daughter. I taught her to shoot left-handed.

12. slowdp

slowdp TS Member

Thanks to all for the input. I will keep monitoring. We have tried the one eye closed and that seems to be working to some degree. We have her up to the high teens. She is 30 and rather set in a right handed style. We have not been able to convince her to shoot left handed. We get a "you try it first attitude". I think she is afraid of shooting some really low scores. The tape gave her a headache.

I am going to try the blinder next and see if she improves. Right now she has taken a little time off for delivery so there is some time before we get her back out.

The Keen rib looks interesting but somewhere I seem to remember seeing a hood for the standard rib on a gun. With the hood we will not have to change as much at once.

13. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

If she shoots with one eye closed, she should hold the gun on the house, so she sees cement above the barrel. Hold points when she calls for her target are important. I hold to the left side of the area that the target will appear. Bill Malcolm

14. slowdp

slowdp TS Member

Beretta687EELL, do you hold to the left of the area that the target will appear because you are using only one eye (right one)? I thought one eyed shooters used both eyes to acquire the target and then closed one eye.

15. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

Your assumption is correct. I close my left eye before I call for the target. Bill Malcolm

16. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Try some more eye dom test. different ditances angles lighting. Being a true lefty, please if your a right eye dom right hand shooter, get away from her! For years and years I went bird hunting always shooting righty. Then I found out about eye dominance. When i first started shooting trap right handed in march 06 I did with one eye right handed. Then I switched to left hand shooter left eye diminance both eyes open. Scores went up fast. If shes young she should have no problem switching. I could almost bet If you never told her how to hold a shotgun she would have mounted it lefty. If she has any lefty in her she will adapted quickly.

17. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

PS shes not wrong eye dominant, shes mounting the gun wrong or the way everyone else is. Find some other lefty shooters to help.

18. slowdp

slowdp TS Member

Without a doubt she is right handed. She cannot pick up a glass of water with her left hand without spilling. If you think girls throw funny you would laugh your a__ off watching her throw left handed.

19. Fraz

Fraz TS Member

My regular squad has 2 left handed persons - with left eye dominance, you can but don't have to patch the eye, you can add a piece of thin metal " L " shaped 2 1/4 inches long and 1/4' high on the barrel with two sided tape. Or purchase a Uni Dot sight # 209 I think which hides the bead from the left eye , Both of these options are inexpensive and worth trying, # 1 you can make and try, jest spray it black and clean the rib before attaching the tape, nothing lost before buying ribs or changing shooting sides.
    The L - meadow indrustries crossfire sight blinder "Gamaliel Shooting supply"
    $14.00 Good luck and good shooting.

20. Fraz

Fraz TS Member

My regular squad has 2 left handed persons - with left eye dominance, you can but don't have to patch the eye, you can add a piece of thin metal " L " shaped 2 1/4 inches long and 1/4' high on the barrel with two sided tape. Or purchase a Uni Dot sight # 209 I think which hides the bead from the left eye , Both of these options are inexpensive and worth trying, # 1 you can make and try, jest spray it black and clean the rib before attaching the tape, nothing lost before buying ribs or changing shooting sides.
    The L - meadow indrustries crossfire sight blinder "Gamaliel Shooting supply"
    $14.00 Good luck and good shooting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.