1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

wrist pain?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by redfin, Jan 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. redfin

redfin TS Member

i have been reloading with a mec 650 for over 20 years,the past 4 years i have been shooting more and reloading more.now i have started to get a pain in my right wrist. and i am thinking its from pushing the reloader handle down,most of the down push is from my right wrist. anyone else have this happen???

2. striper

striper Member

I got RA about three years ago and I had thew Mec 9000. I had pain in my wrists and then I saved up and got the automate! Best thing I ever did. No pressure on the wrist perfect reloads.

3. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

One glance a the MEC handle will tell you that it was designed to inflict pain on its user. It forces the wrist to move through just about every unnatural position possible. You should be able to modify the handle easily to eliminate the lack of concern for user comfort. Remove that useless bicycle grip and bolt on a home made "shovel handle" made from a couple of bent pieces of flat steel or aluminum, a piece of wood closet pole and a couple of long wood screws to allow the wood "grip" to rotate in the handle.

You will be able to move the handle through its complete range and never bend your wrist.

Here's a 2-page thread from another forum with photos that illustrate exactly what I'm talking about: <I>MEC shovel handles</i>

I took that worthless bicycle grip off my MEC Super Sizer. I bought a couple 2" wood balls from a woodworking supply company for a few bucks and drilled adjacent holes into one of them to form an oval slot in the ball and then used epoxy to attach the ball over the end of the handle. Gave me something properly shaped to push on with my palm.

Keller

4. redfin

redfin TS Member

that looks real good! i can knock that out at work with no problem,thanx.
    joseph

5. BT-100dc

BT-100dc Active Member

I put a long MEC wooden handle on my MEC 650; also added a square handle and mounted it (just below and in front of the wooden handle) where I can also use my left hand when reloading. It speeds up the process a little since you can be pulling the handle down with your left hand when placing the wad in the guide fingers, then finish by using your right hand on the wooden handle along with your left hand handle. I made this myself after my bright idea of working with pullies and a foot pedal didn't work. Thomas Edison didn't get it right the first time. All I can say it has worked out for me. Hope this helps. BT100dc

6. NJCOP

NJCOP TS Member

I also want to thank you guys for the fixes. I have tendonitis in both of my elbows and forearms and working the reloader inflames the heck out of it. Will definitely try the ball fix.

7. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

Do you have a big bump on the back of your wrist? If so, it could be a ganglion cyst.....not a big deal however! Look it up.

8. redfin

redfin TS Member

i tried using my left hand to reload tonite,totaly weird. i started a shovel handel at work to day,will be done tuesday. a friend of mine says its probely the start of carpal tunnel syndrome,wonderful.

9. dls guide

dls guide Member

Go hydraulic or electric and forget about your elbow and wrist problem. Life is too short to be pulling handles. My tennis elbow and sore wrists went away after I put Hydraulics on my loaders. Daryl.

10. redfin

redfin TS Member

i am gonna try the shovel hand first,came out real good,just installed it.if that dosent work ,i guess i will go to the doctor and get a motorized mec.
    joseph

11. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Lay off the naughty movies and at least you can keep reloading

12. us820

us820 Active Member

Automate

13. Doughboy

Doughboy Member

I like the idea and look but my question is are you still centering your body for a straight pull down or are you off to the side now? With the straight handle, I am always centered and when I get towards the bottom, I open my palms and push down on the handle.
    Just curious as I'm trying to understand how the improvement works.
    Happy reloading,
    Kurt

14. redfin

redfin TS Member

dont know yet, gotta get some empties tommorow.joseph

15. redfin

redfin TS Member

i tried the new handle last nite, i like it.the wrist is in a completely different position,lots of leverage,i think i will shorten it a bit cause now i am sittin too far from my bench. joseph

16. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

I had to finally hang up the hammer in favor of pneumatic nailers for all my projects.

That stopped the wrist pain, plus I had carpel tunnel surgery after the doc told me to quit swining a hammer, but told him heck no.

WW

17. Doughboy

Doughboy Member

Redfin.........PM SENT.

18. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

I went to the 9000HN. Foot operated no more wrist pain for me.

19. Franktri

Franktri Member

Shovel handle helps but try using both hands to share the load..

20. redfin

redfin TS Member

i all ways use both hands,but with the new handle the wrist is deffinatly in a better position,plus a litte more leverage. joseph

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

can i get a bump on my wrist from using a sharp shooter shovel