1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Wrinkle on 410 hull?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by riflegunbuilder, Mar 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. riflegunbuilder

riflegunbuilder Member

I am loading cf AA hulls on a 900 P-W. Many of my shells have a ridge around them about 1/8" above the shellholder after crimping. Out of every 15-20 I have one where this ridge is pronounced enough to make the shell hard to extract from the final station. I have backed off the taper adjustment on the crimp and seemed to help but not solve the problem. This doesn't occur with STS hulls.

2. riflegunbuilder

riflegunbuilder Member

3. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

I am loading old style AA's now on my P/W 900 and have noticed the same thing. I suspect the final crimp die needs to be cleaned. I will do that when I go back out to the shop after dinner and report back.

Jim Skeel

4. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

I removed the final crimp and examined it. Looks good. No dirt or plastic build up.

What shot, wad, powder are you putting in the hulls? What you describe could be due to too long a shot/wad/powder combination. My load for the old style AA is 1/2 ounce of 9's and 14.2 grains of Hodgdon H110 and a Downrange PC Orange wad.

Jim Skeel

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.