1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Wrights Chokes

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by jergott, Jan 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jergott

jergott Member

Im contemplating purchasing some aftermarket chokes for my perazzi Mt6 and was wondering if anybody can offer any feedback on wrights chokes? Thanks, Jeremy

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Good chokes with good consistant patterns. Stu Wright has been around the shooting sports for many years. I use them in both my Beretta 682 and my Browning BT 99.
    [​IMG]

3. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

I couldn't get a Wrights chokes to throw a decent pattern with any of my loads. I bought one of his IM chokes (#6 I think), tried it for a couple months and sent it back with a note that he could have it back and sell it to somebody else.

The first time I tried the #6 I missed the first 3 targets out; I thought it was odd so I asked for a minute out and swapped the Briley IM in my top barrel for the Wright and ran the next 22 of the 25 targets. A friend who uses the same kind of gun as I do gave me a hard time about blaming the choke so I had him put it in his gun. He missed the first 2 targets of the next 25, chipped the 3rd and 4th and missed the 5th. He changed chokes and ran the rest just like I did.

Wright sent me a #5 (mod) to try but it wasn't enough of an improvement to warrant keeping it; it went back, too. I never did see a refund, either.

I've spoken to other shooters who have had the same experience I did but I'm speaking for only myself. They might work for some people but they don't work for me.

Keller

4. Bucko43

Bucko43 Well-Known Member

I use Wright's chokes on my Ljutic, and I love them. I think they have stopped making Ljutic chokes though. There's a tapered choke wrench you'll need to buy to get them in and out. The chokes have a unique design where there's no slots for the wrench to grab. There's only knurling on the outside of the choke to help screw it in. But the tapered wrench tightens it.

They are made from 17-4 stainles steel and throw a great pattern. I bought mine from them when I wanted a modified choke and Ljutic charges $150 per choke. I shoot this modified choke from the 27 and just smoke the targets. I paid $55 for mine if I recall correctly. I highly recommend Wright's for gun repairs and all their chokes.

5. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

I use a #8 in my Mx 15.

6. jergott

jergott Member

Anybody out there had good luck with these for skeet and sportys?

7. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

dont let one person scare you away from these chokes. Thats the first bad review I have ever seen. I too love them, nothing compares

8. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

I won't post a bad revue but I found them to be know better than any other choke.
    Here is a list of chokes I have tried in my K80.

Krieghoff steel
    Krieghoff titanium
    Muller
    Comp N Choke
    Kicks "Smoke"
    Wrights
    Briley

Out of all those different chokes the one that threw the best patterns and allowed more consistent breaks was the Kicks "Smoke". I had a AA shooter at my club tell me to try them and he was right, there are not any close seconds. It's all I use now. Noticeable better choke.

9. brdslayr

brdslayr Well-Known Member

Here's your bad Kicks story. Bought an extended steel shot choke made by kicks. Took it out duck hunting. I either missed completly easy shots or killed 2 ducks at once that were about 3 feet apart(that happened 3 times). Shot it on paper and it shot way left and low. Called Kicks and they said that happens sometimes. They did gladly replace it. Sold the new one without trying it to a skeet shooter. He loves it. JW

10. Bryce720

Bryce720 Active Member

I shoot Sporting Clays and had Stu Wright do my barrel work and choke work. Before Stu's chokes I have used everything Kicks, Beretta Chokes, Angle Port, Briley and so on. I think Stu's chokes are as good as any, might be a slight edge to Kicks and Comp n' Chokes. The only problems with Kicks & Comp is if you have an over under they're a mess to clean. I used to shoot Mod, IM in my overunder for sporting (I like to choke tight). I had a long talk with Stu on chokes and patterns and he told me to try the #3 choke (skeet2-.012). I have left this choke in my gun it smokes close targets and is good out to 40 yards or so.

Don't put too much thought in to chokes go with a good manufacturer and of the above and spend the rest of your money on practice. Hope this helps. If you have any other questions shoot me a call.

Bryce 720-560-5946

11. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Bad experiences- have had them where you cant get them out and have had them where you had to retighten them every couple of shots

Many choices out there

Regards from Iowa

Gene

12. In plain view

In plain view Member

I totally agree with NSXER. Bought # 5, 6 & 7 six months ago. There for sale. 18.4 bore. Bob

13. Bird30

Bird30 TS Member

The only gripe that I have with wrights chokes is, I ordered a number 7 which was suppose to be .028 his light full but it mikes .025. Briley chokes are what they say they are or at least the ones that I measured. The thing that I have trouble with is two chokes, same manufactor same constriction and they don't pattern the same. I have a .025 that shoots a better pattern than my full chokes do, .035 and .040.

14. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Still waiting for delivery of those Perazzi extended chokes...

yep, still waiting...

any day now...

as an aside on Wrights chokes. Mine for my Perazzi have always been spot on as marked. #8=.032, #10=.040

15. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

All chokes shoot different in different barrels they all need to be shot and checked with the same shells you are going to shoot. What is marked on the tube is only a way to tell one from an other and app restriction. ONLY by shooting it can you know where it shoots and what the pattern looks like. You also need to shoot several patterns to average out the performance. I have some inexpensive chokes that work great but I do think the new chokes like Comp n choke , Kicks, Pure Gold, Brileys with the new longer chokes with longer parallels have a more even spread of pellets in the patterns. They also seem to shoot tighter than what is normal because of this construction.

16. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

Birds layer, why is that such a bad kicks story. Anytime you can get two birds in one shot is a good thing. Just think you only used half the ammo to get your limit. Damn good choke I would think. LOL

17. luvtrapguns

luvtrapguns Well-Known Member

I'm in complete agreement with Unknown1. My experience with Wright was much less than satisfactory. I had Wright machine my barrel to accept his recommended tubes, #5 for singles and a #7 for 27yd. Also ordered a #8. Tried all on paper with several brands of ammo. Worst patterns I ever shot. I also found him to be less than concerned when I complained of him damaging my barrel by clamping it on the rib surface in the vice while machining. My recommendation: BUY BRILEY'S. Marc

18. The Stive

The Stive Member

For Skeet I use a # 1&3. I like them. I use the #3 in the bottom and the #1
    in the top. John

19. mike Adcock

mike Adcock Member

I purchased a #4 for my TMX. The first one did not seat correctly. I contacted them, explained the condition, sent it back and got another one all within a week. It will grind up 16's if I do my part.

Mike

20. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Marc (luv trap guns) same deal here- he machined one K80 barrel and the chokes never fit right- always locked up- obvious blow by - my friend returned the barrel several times and I tried to intervene because I had had wrights do model 12s for me--- no luck- he never made it right

That added to the chokes that lock up or come loose in other guns--

I see the majority of people on this post have had problems.. Once I had no comment on a post where people were praising them and was attacked left and right--

Regards from Iowa

Gene

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

kicks smoke chokes vs pure gold chokes

mulker chokes for a ljutic

wright chokes

wrights chokes

wrights chokes review