1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

wrights barrel work?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by shrek, Feb 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shrek

shrek Active Member

Anyone had Wrights do any barrel work? If so, were the results as expected?

I see Wright's offers choke, backboring and cone length work done on barrels.

I have a fixed choke barrel that I am not overly happy with, and am considering either getting it "adjusted", selling it or using it for a tomato stake...

It does not pattern very well at all(as we would expect it should with it's given choke) compared to other barrels I have and wonder if a little barrel work wouldn't help it.

It has a .723 bore, and .037 of choke.

My other barrel that is .733 bore and .030 of choke produces more uniform and consistent patterns, with a lot less flyers, at the same yardage. So does my .732 barrel with .040 of choke.

I intend to talk to Stu to see what he suggests, but am curious if anyone had had them do some of that work and the results they got performance wise.

Thanks

2. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Stu is a great guy.. and excellent barrelsmith.. All work he has done for me was always excellent..

3. Smok'n Joe

Smok'n Joe Active Member

One of the Best of the BEST!

Stu's chokes not only work great...they look great!
    and He does things RIGHT the first time!

Smok'n Joe

4. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Stu has done bunker barrels for me that came out excellent.. The ultimate test.. So little shot.. such great range.. If you're successful at that... a regular ATA trapshell is no challenge to get a great pattern...and percentage..

5. prairieviper

prairieviper Active Member

I had Wright's open the chokes and lengthen the forcing cones on my doubles gun. I am very pleased with the results and wouldn't hesitate to call upon Wright's for any future barrel work.

6. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy TS Member

I have a Wrights modified barrel on my BT99 and it is excellent. I shoot it better than any gun I ever had. I break targets with it that I would have missed with the stock barrel and if I center the pattern on the bird it brings smoke! The best by far I ever had.

7. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

It's funny how things are with craftsmen and "the customer base". When someone like Stu or Tom or Phil or Ken or Kerry first start out their work, during their learning curve, may be less than excellent but craftsmen like all of these boys get better and better until their work reaches that excellence.

8. michmoe

michmoe TS Member

Stu choked a 682 for me once,threw one of the best pattern I had seen.You wont be disappointed.

9. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

I would look else where as the more work Stu get the longer it takes for him to do my guns. He is one of the best and a honest straight talking gunsmith with high quality work at fair peices. Wish he was twins.

10. luvtrapguns

luvtrapguns Well-Known Member

I had a TM-1 barrel done by Stu with his Series 2 tubes. The #5 choke (.020 choke) will really destroy a singles target. I sent my newly Teflon coated barrel and requested careful handling. Stu wanted to send it back suggesting that I seemed too concerned that he may mar the finish. I pleaded and relieved him from liability so he installed his tubes. Stu was right, he did mar the finish. I would do it all over the same way but that mar is a sore spot every time I look at the gun. Marc

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.