1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Wright vs. Moneymaker

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by 4th. down, Apr 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 4th. down

4th. down Active Member

Need barrel work and possibly chokes or rework existing chokes to match up with new barrel work - .725 bore possibly out to .750+. Factory chokes and Trulock not giving reasonable patterns (I consider reasonable to be 80% coverage in 25" circle at appropriate choke distance).

Any thoughts on who to chose for this work - thanks.

2. redbearmx15

redbearmx15 TS Member

If I was to vote>> it would be for Wright's. JMHO

Roger/OH SJVCC

3. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I have no experience with Moneymaker but use Stu Wright's chokes exclusively and had Stu open the bore on my KX-5 to .745" and do the rest of his magic on the barrel. Based on my own experience, that's who I'd choose.

Ed

4. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Stu comes highly reccomended, so does Wilkinson

5. maltzahn

maltzahn Active Member

Another Wright's supporter.

Maltzie

6. merlynstrapguns

merlynstrapguns Well-Known Member

Always been happy with Stu........merlyn

7. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Frankly your question is not really evenly matched. Moneymaker is known for rib work and Wright's is known for Model 12 rebuilding and choke work as well as choke tubes. Could Moneymaker do choke work? I am sure that Moneymaker can do anything they put their minds to as they are a full service gunsmithing shop. If it's choke work you want done then go to Wright's, or Briley if you want an affordable good job. If you have money to burn send it to Wilkenson. If it were me? I would call Wright's and see if they have some chokes that you can drop in right now and see if you can get the % up to where you want it. Quite honestly an 80% pattern in a 25 inch circle at 40 yards is quite excellent performance. Not many guns will do what you are asking of yours at yardage. 30 yards is one thing 40 to 42 yards is quite another. My Trap SX-1 barrel will shoot 95% plus at 42 yards but it was super tuned by the late Tom Seitz do do that. Good luck which ever way you choose but I will reitarate. If you want rib-work done, Roger Eubanks or Money maker. Barrel work- Kerry allor, Wrights,Wilkensen,or even Briley. Jeff

8. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

Agree with Jeff. Ed

9. ink ball

ink ball Member

I haven't had any experience with Wright's, but I have had experience with Moneymakers...you'd be better off going to Wright's. Even if Wright's had no experience working with shotgun and their specialty was making panty hose, I'd still take my gun to Wright's for barrel work as opposed to Moneymakers.

10. Ruck

Ruck Well-Known Member

Simply stated, Stu is "The Man" in this case.

Ken Rucker

11. Trapmanjohn

Trapmanjohn Member

I had Stu Wright rebuild and reblue a Model 12 and I must admit that the work was as good (being modest) but probably better than the Winchester factory. I don't know what he did but the barrel now evaporates targets. In many shots out of 25 there is nothing left to hit the ground. Although I will be looking to sell the gun (because I don't care for the recoil of a Model 12) this is one of the most incredible performing barrels I've ever seen. Without a doubt send the gun to Stu Wright. Oh, his pricing was very fair also.

Hit 'em hard,

John Kirksey

12. 4th. down

4th. down Active Member

Thanks for all of the good thoughts. I had heard from other shooters that had barrel work done by Moneymaker that they did a good job with the barrel/chokes.
    However, this is overwhelming - Wright it is - thanks again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.