1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Wrapping Pistol Grip

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by phirel, Dec 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. phirel

phirel TS Member

I wrap the pistol grip of my PFS with tennis racket wrapping material. It helps me maintain a firm grip on the gun. But, I have trouble wrapping the lower part of the grip and I have trouble keeping the material where I want it. I have tried double sided tape (several kinds) with limited success. Any suggestions ?

Pat Ireland

2. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

Hi Pat - I've used hockey stick tape for my own pistol grip. It unwraps too. I've not done this, but a piece of electrical tape at the bottom should hold the end of the hockey stick tape and keep it from unwrapping. Since I'm lazy and have plenty of tape, I just redo it every once in a while.

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Stop by your local golf pro shop and get some of the double sided tape they use to put the grips on the clubs. It might work better than the stuff you have been using. HMB

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

HMB- I have tried that. The tape on a golf club is fastened on an area of the club that is not held by the hands. On my pistol grip, this is not possible.

Pat Ireland

5. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Have you tried skateboard tape??

It's really rough, but I use it on the grip of several pistols - cheaper than checkering...

It really increases the grip feel for the front and back straps of pistols, but I suspect it may be too much for a shotgun...

David D

6. jhoward

jhoward Member

When I was playing softball we always removed the factory grip wrap from the bats and re-wrapped them with white athletic tape. It sticks to itself very well, is cheap, and could be added as much, or as little, as desired. It could even be used to build a palm swell. If the end starts to lift, just trim it a little with a knife. It would be easy to carry a roll in your shooting bag to work on the grip between rounds if needed.

7. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

Hi Pat, I have been useing the new medical tape that streaches and sticks to itself. It works great and never unravels comes in many colors I use brown or black is advailable in all the drug stores. If you want a palm swell just cut a mouse pad to your desired shape and wrap it with this tape to hold it in place so simple to do you will be amaised. See you at the Dixie.
    Buddy

8. Guy

Guy Member

Pat: This is Plasti-dip mixed with alittle sand. Works great. Buy it at Home Depot. I put about 3/4" in a cup and added 2 tablespoons of sand....I'd suggest using alittle less sand first, then adding more if needed.

[​IMG]

9. Too Tall

Too Tall TS Member

Pat,
    Good question and thanks for the responses. I've been wanting to know this myself.

Robert H.

10. trapshootingfran

trapshootingfran TS Member

Pat, I have used in the past with little trouble, bike handle bar tape. This sticks well and comes in many colors. Good luck. Fran

11. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

I've been using a golf glove on my trigger hand for 30 years....helps me keep a good grip on the gun without strangling it....and the new synthetic leather gloves from Foot Joy for one don't dry out and outlast real leather 2 to one...

12. phirel

phirel TS Member

I am referring to the pistol grip area on the Precision Fit Stock on my K-80. I also want to protect the rather unique finish that is under the tape. Those who have seen the finish on my stock usually mentioned it and rarely forget it.

Pat Ireland

13. Mike Hessong* (MH*)

Mike Hessong* (MH*) Active Member

Pat,

Go back and do a search for the "Painted Stock Update" and you will see a picture of my 4 competition guns (2 K-80's, 1 Beretta ASE-90 and 1 Beretta 390) all with pistol grip extensions on them. I tried to upload the same picture from that thread, but things weren't working right, so I went back and saw this thread was still working. I use the Wilson tennis wrap tape and cut short sections and tape all the edges down, and on the bottom, I use some small narrow sections to "seal" the seams over so they don't peel up. Hope the picture helps and you can get this thread.

Mike* (MH*)

14. washandwear

washandwear Member

Pat

I use 1" foam tape from 3M (3M 15281 Microfoam Conformable Foam Elastic Tape - 1" x 5(1/2) yds, One roll)on my PFS grip. Once I have it on I finish wrap with black electrical tape for better durability and since the foam tape is white it gets looking dirty quickly.

I only have to wrap once a year and stays in place shooting over 15,000 targets a year.

Web site to order - http://www.woundcareshop.com/microfoamconformablefoamelastictape-1x512ydsone.aspx

Regards

W&W

15. Jon Reitz

Jon Reitz Well-Known Member

Pat,

Here's what I've learned. 1) First line the area you want to pad with a single layer of black plastic electrical tape. 2) Then wrap the area over that with Scotch 2228 Rubber Mastic tape. Wrap to suit. You can even build a slight palm swell on the right side if desired. I prefer that as I have large hands. The rubber tape (found at Home Depot in the electrical department) is somewhat soft and rubbery. It provides an excellent grip. It can be removed nad re-wrapped easily should you want to tweak it slightly. DO NOT wrap any type of tape on your pistol grip without the black plastic electrical tape used underneath as a liner. Otherwise the finish can be lifted ight off the stock (been there - done that).

Should you choose to go with the padded tennis racquet tape, I recommend Wilson.

Jon Reitz

16. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

It's Wilson Sof-Shok wrap. Another thing you could use is 1 or 2" wide Velcro, just the loop side. The adhesive on there holds forever. Cleaning the grip with an alcohol pad to get rid of any type of oils helps the stuff stick better.

Eric

17. threedeuces

threedeuces TS Member

Forget the rap and get some really good leather shooting gloves.

18. 1brucem

1brucem TS Member

A friend cut up mountain bike inner tube and stretches it over the receiver end and then in place, it works great but can ride up, so use a little spray adhesive near the end to keep it in place. Bruce

19. phirel

phirel TS Member

I have tried the electrical tape to fasten the wrapping material with no success. Keep in mind that the tennis racket wrap does not fasten directly to the gun stock, it fastens to itself.

Pat Ireland

20. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

I don't know how flexible it can be or what shape you need it to take but all my tactical handguns have a product called <I>Decal Grip</i> applied to the grip. The stuff is self-stick and rubberized and comes in kits to fit many grip styles; these kits may contain more than a dozen pieces to cover many parts of the gun.

I'm thinking that you may be able to find a kit that will contain pieces that you can fit to your application or buy some uncut from the manufacturer. You will want the smoother of the two grades.

MK

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
bat wrap on gun grip
hockey grip tape for pistol

hockey tape on gun

hockey tape pistol grip
padded pistol grip tape
pistol grip wrap tape

sports tape on pistol grip

wrapping ak pistol grip with tennis tape