1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Wrap around shooting glasses

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Budly62, Jun 20, 2013.

1. Budly62

Budly62 Member

I just found out that I have Dry Macular Degeneration and it was recommended that I use wrap around shooting glasses. Trouble is most wrap arounds I have tried fog up quickly. Anyone else have this issue and if so what glasses or lenses can you recommend.
    Willieb

2. just_bob

just_bob Member

In the old days scuba diving we spit in the mask.

Others rubbed the lens with a raw potato.

Now they have hydrophobic coatings you can buy.

all work some for longer periods

Just_Bob

3. bobdog

bobdog Active Member

Back when the earth was still cooling, we used to rub a tiny amount of liquid detergent on the inside of our ski goggles and then polish it dry with a soft cloth, and it worked great. The military does the same thing with gas masks. The soap is a surfactant and doesn't allow water droplets to form.

I did this on my shooting glasses during really humid conditions at Mason and sometimes Waukesha back when I used blinders. It was easier to stop using blinders than fussing with reapplying soap every time I washed my glasses, but it may work for you. Doesn't cost anything to try it. If your glasses end up smeary, you used too much - just a very small amount is all it takes.

4. Budly62

Budly62 Member

Thanks for the input!

5. drg123

drg123 Member

Oakley makes a lens that is vented at the top next to the frame and works very well. drg

6. Snidely54

Snidely54 Member

There is a product, which I believe is called "Cat Crap", I'm not kidding. Work as an anti-fogging agent.

7. shaggist

shaggist Member

For those who experience lens fogging on the line, try a set of NYX shooting glasses. The nose piece is designed to hold the lens away from your face so that fogging won't occur. If you still have a problem, use one of the antifogging liquids that are available today. That should end the fogging for all time.
    Jack

P.S. either the above or stop sweating so much.

8. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Ranger XLW... is a winner - Morgan Optical as the vendor in Olean NY...

Jay