1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

wrangler TJ brakes

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by slic lee, Nov 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slic lee

slic lee Active Member

fluid went down are brakes self bleeding? Lee

2. kfbagt

kfbagt Member

3. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Lee,

I hope you were joking.

If your brake fluid level went down over a short amount of time, then you have a leak. If it was over a longer period of time what happens is as your pads wear it takes more fluid into the system to keep them working. It's probably about time for brake pads.

4. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Park over some cardbord and inspect after it sits several hours. Also look at the inside of the tires.

I have an insidious tiny leak that needs me to put a buck's worth of brake fluid in every 2 months. I knowit's in the right rear, and will address it at the nexxt change of pads.

HM

5. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Take it to a technician, if the fluid is down there are only two cause, a leak in the hydraulic system or the brake pads / shoes are worn ddown to the point of needing to be replaced. Based on your question you need to have a qualified tech make the determination for you. Most commonly if it is a fluid leak you would experience a brake pedal that sinks to the floor, as you deepress the pedal.

6. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Bruce, that is only true if the leak is a big one. The insiduous tiny leaks only let me know when the light comes on.

The dual master cylinder keeps the ability to stop the car even if you lose all the fluid in one side.

Seems to me like the OP has a small leak here. Worn shoes would make the tattletale sing.

HM

7. LUGNUTZ426

LUGNUTZ426 TS Member

If both halves of master resovoir are low you probably need brakes. Rear shoes tend to wear out faster on wranglers. If you have a leak it should be evident on a lift. a leak at the back of the master could make its way into the booster and also not easily visable. A small leak in a rear wheel cylinder may not be seen until you pull the drums off. Either way its probably time to pull the drums and take a peek.

8. Bruce Specht

Halfmile, your half right, a leak is a leak and some can be hard to pinpoint and brake pedal fade can be hard to detect, but if you depress the pedal and fluid is leaking out the pedal has to fade all be it slowly in some cases. The leak will get worse and lead to total hydraulic system failure. A qualified technician can power bleed the systme to find / force the leak and take corrective action. The original post by Lee indicates he has little to no experience with automtive brake systems abnd needs the help of a pro

9. grntitan

"The original post by Lee indicates he has little to no experience with automtive brake systems"

Bruce,

That's what i gathered too from the self bleeding comment. Best to have a pro check it out and ASAP. Brakes are not something you put off until tomorrow.

Matt

10. slic lee

slic lee Active Member

Gentlemen, I said, fluid went down, are brakes self bleeding.
    Many of your assumptions would be correct but no one answered my question.
    Yes the brakes wore down some and that caused the fluid to go down. By not checking it sooner the fluid went down below the mark and I think I might have air in the lines when I put new fluid into the reservoir. Therefore the question, are the brakes self bleeding or do I have to manually bleed them. No leak. Lee who has experience with brake systems

11. LUGNUTZ426

LUGNUTZ426 TS Member

If air got in, you will have a soft pedal and it may fade to the floor with constant pressure as you compress the air in the line. You have to bleed the
    brakes to get the air out. Hopefully your bleeding screws are not corroded
    in the calipers or whell cylinder. You usually have one shot at loosening them. Six point socket, penetrating oil and a propane torch may be necessary.

12. slic lee

slic lee Active Member

Nutz-goes down more than half pedal usually high no blame my wife drove it to charge battery as I recuperate from injury and didnt tell me about it now she knows. The reservoir is smallest Ive seen. Havnt bled brakes since my racing days. Have a good one,Lee

13. LUGNUTZ426

LUGNUTZ426 TS Member

they are easy to bleed. as long as you can get the bleeder screws loose! just
    google the procedure. there are tons of threads on jeep boards on bleeding
    procedure. BUT...if your fluid got low....you should address why. leak or worn brakes? ALSO if your rear shoes need adjustment, that will give you a lower pedal engagement point, but it will be hard. At the very least pull those drums
    and take a look.

14. grntitan

Lee,

When you ask a question such as "fluid went down are brakes self bleeding?" it contridicts your statement "Lee who has experience with brake systems".

I have not seen or heard of a DOT compliant vehicle yet that has self bleeding brakes. That is why i made my somewhat insulting statement. I didn't mean to offend you. I had hoped you would get the brakes looked at by a professional as i was concerned for the vehicle driver's safety. If you have bled brakes in the past, it ain't changed in any way for the almost 30 years i have been working on them. Same `ol song and dance. Pump pump hold, pump pump hold. LOL

Anyway, good luck

Matt

15. Bruce Specht

Lee, to answer your question in a word, no. Brakes are not self bleedingand by stating the question as you did it made many of assume that you don't have much if any experience with brake systems. Brake hydraulic systems are bleed at each wheel / brake assembly starting with the brake assembly that is furthest from the master cylinder and ending up at the left front assembly. There are several types of bleeding proceeduers that can or should be used.

16. 682LINY

682LINY Member

listen to lug nutz, as i have met him and do know that he has more jeep knolage and experince than most on this site,, class of 1978 denver auto and desiel,, now lincon tech,, been turning wrenchs scince than,,last 8 years for NY city transit,, when in dought listen

17. slic lee

slic lee Active Member

Grnee-I was not insulted by your comment or any other. I should have been more explicit.

Nutz-thanks Lee

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

tj brake power bleeding procedure