1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Wow! Some Storm!

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by puablo, Dec 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. puablo

puablo Well-Known Member

Man! We got the ole blizzard going on! So far about 20" of snow...which isn't the big deal. The worst part is the wind...big drifts. I let my lab out into his run, after shoveling a pathway for him, and he thought he was a bulldog...he just kept going and going. He got stuck out in his pen and couldn't move, I had to rescue him. Good thing I had the dog harness from my other guy that I had to have put to sleep. Had to carry my guy into the house.
    Labs are funny. These 2 guys were strong willed. When they wanted something or wanted to do something, there is no quit. Good boys! Oh well, 2 cups of coffee and breakfast, I better get outside and shovel! Have a good new year and keep well. Doesn't look like we'll be shooting around these parts for a good while ( Hudson Valley area of NY ).

2. puablo

puablo Well-Known Member

Take it easy there, EB...hope all is well with you. Have a good new year! Jeff

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

How about some Blizzard Trap? HMB

4. Conn. Man

Conn. Man Member

Jeff,
    We got lucky here in Eastern Connecticut,we got about 6" give or take.We do have the wind howling like you say!!!!!!.
    Stay dry and warm my friend!!!!-- Happy New Year to everybody.

Sandy Holehouse.

5. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

Hey Puablo: Finally framed the Shooting Stars print I got from you 2 years ago. Owner at the frame shop thought it was fantastic work. Looks great in my man cave. Still want to do a Shooting Stars of my own with my Trap and Skeet buddies. Thank you, Dave T.

6. puablo

puablo Well-Known Member

Hi Dave and Sandy;
    Hope all is well with you guys! Dave, thanks for the thumbs up on the print...glad you like it. Have a great new year guys! Jeff

7. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

Central NJ - near Red Bank.

A TON of snow and it is blowing like crazy. There are huge drifts and I can't see the cars in the driveway. It is supposed to blow the rest of the week. This is the most snow I remember in 30 years. I called the snow plow guy and he can't come because his place is snowed in. He said it will take him at least a day to get his equipment on the road.

I couldn't get the dogs out this morning. The snow was over their heads and they are both over 2 feet tall. Everytime they tried to move forward they were up against a show pile they couldn't push through. I had to go out and shovel a path for about 20 feet before they would try to force their way farther. This was the first snowfall for the 9 month old Setter pup so he was bewildered. He's got it now and is out making his own paths.

8. DelarockX

DelarockX TS Member

Birdogs: Were you living in NJ around '92? I remember there was a blizzard back then that was considerably worse than this one because everything was COVERED in 1" of ice. I was about 9 so my memory could be a little foggy.

9. DENNISMASTROLIA1

DENNISMASTROLIA1 Active Member

I was supposed to leave Boston today and drive to FL.Thru CT-a little of N.Y.-Into PA. to VA. and down I95 thru N.C.--to S.C. to GA. and into FL> Any news regarding road conditions would be a big help. I am looking at this Wednesday to begin driving. Thanks--Dennis.

10. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

DelarockX,

I remember seveal ice storms in my time in NJ. I was traveling on business in those days and left my car at Newark Airport. When I got back, it was frozen in a block of ice. I could not get in to it.

Another time, my car was frozen but I did get in to it and got it started but it was so cold that the defroster only melted a small circle on the bottom of the windshield. I drove home on the Turnpike looking through that tiny hole. Fortunately it was late at night and there was almost no traffic.

Right now it is blowing a gale and the snow is drifting into large grotesque shapes. I have dug a single path about 35 feet long to my car in the bottom of my driveway through a solid 3 feet of snow.. I'll keep nibbling at it until the wind lies down before getting serious.
    That may take until tomorrow!

11. Shooting Sailor

Shooting Sailor Well-Known Member

You guys are lucky you are only getting a little snow where you are. Up north of here, our local ski hill had to dig out their lifts before they could operate. There was over 2 1/2 metres of snow in 48 hours, making for a 5.2 metre midmountain base. That is the most snow at any ski hill in the world right now. Chalets and condos are buried up to the second story, roads are just deep cuts in the snow, and if people didn't keep digging out their cars, they are now having to dig them out from under more than 7 feet of snow. You can imagine what it is like; dig out your driveway all the way to the road, then find the road is plowed back onto your driveway. Another 7+ feet to shovel!
    It was still coming down heavily last I checked.

12. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

Shooting Sailor,

Where are you?

13. Shooting Sailor

Shooting Sailor Well-Known Member

Vancouver Island, British Columbia. The extreme snowfall is a result of the Pineapple Express coming direct from Hawaii, full of warm moisture, then it hits the mountain and dumps huge amounts of snow. This is a record for the hill, and we aren't even in to the usual big snow season. Google Mount Washimgton Alpine Resort.

14. porky

porky TS Member

Dennis, All the roads have opened back up and the weather is warming up. You should have smooth sailing down to Fla. Enjoy the trip, but remember that a lot of cash flow for townships and cities is derived from traffic infractions.

15. DENNISMASTROLIA1

DENNISMASTROLIA1 Active Member

Thank you Git-Er- Done.

16. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

Her was our storm from last year. In this pic there is a riding lawn mower in it.
    auctioneer_2009_0507106.jpg

17. otnot

otnot Active Member

Here in Alaska where I live we only have 6" of snow. Quit bitchin and send it up here where it belongs. We love it!

18. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

Here where I live we have a large number of people who either have never been in snow and or don't know how to drive in it. I was in town and waiting in line for something and started to talk with a lady in the line. Where are you from I asked? She said Alaska. I looked at her and said "someone who knows how to drive in snow". She laughed and so did I. She also said that there are to many people here that just don't know how to drive in snow. I agreed with her.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.