1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

WOW - Crimson Trace!!!

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by EXFDX, Dec 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EXFDX

EXFDX Member

Got a CrimsonTrace laser system for my house gun - a .40 Glock 23. Making a long story short, I completely screwed it up trying to sight it in. When I say "screwed up", I mean unusable. I mean destroyed. I broke a cardinal rule: I messed with something that was fine the way it was. I have asked my wife that, when I occasionally do this, to please slap me until she just can't stand up anymore.

When I contacted the company, they said to send it in for repair. I did and asked them to bill me, even if it was for a total replacement cost. They said they would be glad to fix it and return it promptly at no cost. The gentleman mentioned they had done the same for a customer whose dog chewed one to pieces before he ever even got it installed.

It was returned today by UPS. I believe it is a new unit. I also received an excellent DVD called "Shots In The Dark". No charges - not even postage.

First of all, it's unbelievable customer service. Second, I don't think you can ever do anything better for your house gun than get some kind of laser target acquisition system.

I just wanted everyone to know. I hope it's okay.

Thanks,

Steve Oehmen

2. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

its a replacement wrap around for the glock used to have them install but they have a new system now rick

3. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

4. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

The Crimson Trace is a nifty accessory, but do NOT become dependent on it for marksmanship. If it goes out during a moment of need, always be able to shoot without it.

They ARE more reliable than most other such devices. They are fun if you have a cat! LOL

5. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

At "Smith & Wesson Days" at the local range, they had one mounted on one of their scandium frame 1911s. It and the gun were really impressive (for the 5 shots anyway). I really liked the Crimson Trace. The bullets would hit right were the dot was everytime. If I had the cash I'd have 'em both.

6. FarmerD

FarmerD TS Member

Steve, how about providing a email address or website please. Ben

Can they be mounted on a Ruger revolver?

7. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

If you see a Red Spot....duck!

8. High Brass

High Brass TS Member

I started a thread here last week called "Customer NO serviceā€ I wondered why businesses gave such lousy service. Now this is a company that knows how to treat its customers. I also highly recommend their product. I have one on my .40 Sig. A friend of mine was trying it out and hipshot 3 rounds into the same hole at 20 yards. We no call it Crimson Death. They are also a US company and they manufacture in Beaverton, Or.

9. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

No offense is intended to the original poster (Steve), but I always get a bit PO'ed every time I read one of these "I destroyed it due to my own stupidity, but the company replaced it for free anyway" type posts.

I'm sure that Steve's heart was in the right place since he offered to pay for any needed repairs, but that doesn't change the fact that the company essentially gave him two brand new units while only charging him for one unit. Guess where the cost of the other unit is made up? You guessed it. The responsible owner/purchaser who didn't destroy his unit makes up the extra cost by paying a higher price for the unit he purchased.

It's the same thing with gun insurance (or perhaps any kind of insurance). I know of people who have done absolutely STUPID things with their guns and yet collected on the insurance from their insurance company..... often to the tune of several thousand dollars. Guess who pays for their stupid actions? That's right, YOU and ME.

OK, rant over.

10. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

I installed the exact same one yesterday on my Glock 23.

It was up and to the right a bit, so I simply turned the screws with the small Allen wrenches included and brought it back to zero.

Took about a minute.

No problem here.

Whiz

11. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

How is the performance outdoors in sunlight? I've been concerned that they might "wash out" unless it is pretty overcast.

12. High Brass

High Brass TS Member

claybrdr, I have shot mine outside in bright sunlight and is does washout over about 10'. I have shot it out to 20' in sunlight but you really hae to look for it.

Easystreet, I guess not everyone is as smart at you are. There is no law against doing stupid things. By the way, 70% of insurance claims are fraudulent.....maybe you should worrie more about that then when someone makes an honest mistake.

13. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Personally, I prefer tritium night sights. No batteries or electronics. They are on steady for a useful lifespan of about 10 to 12 years.

If you use a laser sight, keep in mind that from a tactical standpoint, the beam works both ways. If you turn it on and leave it on, the beam can backlight dust particles, which can give your position away. Also, in some tactical situations, the dot isn't always easy to find, particularly when there is some ambient light. And have a backup plan for the laser failing at the moment of critical need. Perhaps install tritium sights in conjunction with a laser sight.

It's encouraging to hear of a company that treats their customers right.

BTW, I used to really champion Leupold. Until I went to their headquarters one day to look at a scope that was not stocked by any local dealer. They refused to show me one, saying I had to view it at a dealer. Catch-22. I ended up buying one from their competition, and stopped being all but a spokesman for them whenever the topic of scopes came up. Shabby treatment of a faithful customer.

14. EXFDX

EXFDX Member

Easystreet - no offense taken at all. And you are exactly correct. I am very aware of what it takes to make a dollar today, and it ain't easy. I emailed Vicki back at Keensights because I didn't see charges for shipping or insurance when she returned my barrel with an installed adjustable rib. I thought $45.00 or so might wipe out their entire margin on the deal. As it turned out I had just overlooked the charge on the invoice (just like I seem to do on some targets LOL!). But it did bother me until I knew for sure.

And I'm not looking for any praise so save that, but I'm keenly aware of the working man's issues having been one until I got my first office job. That's why I tell the clerks at my local Exxon (or whichever) when they give me back change for a bigger bill than I gave them -- I know it comes out of their hide at the end of the day, and at minimum wage, that doesn't buy a lot of "hide".

But for those of you in manufacturing or retail: For a person who wants to keep prices down, what can he do in a situation like this? And what kinds of margins are you running? How much of the price of an item is a function of damaged/lost inventory.

I must have been sleeping during this chapter in Econ 101. It goes without saying I never actually READ the chapter - even though I just said it.

Just curious. What do you all think? Also, sorry this is so OT.

Steve Oehmen

15. EXFDX

EXFDX Member

Easystreet - no offense taken at all. And you are exactly correct. I am very aware of what it takes to make a dollar today, and it ain't easy. I emailed Vicki back at Keensights because I didn't see charges for shipping or insurance when she returned my barrel with an installed adjustable rib. I thought $45.00 or so might wipe out their entire margin on the deal. As it turned out I had just overlooked the charge on the invoice (just like I seem to do on some targets LOL!). But it did bother me until I knew for sure.

And I'm not looking for any praise so save that, but I'm keenly aware of the working man's issues having been one until I got my first office job. That's why I tell the clerks at my local Exxon (or whichever) when they give me back change for a bigger bill than I gave them -- I know it comes out of their hide at the end of the day, and at minimum wage, that doesn't buy a lot of "hide".

But for those of you in manufacturing or retail: For a person who wants to keep prices down, what can he do in a situation like this? And what kinds of margins are you running? How much of the price of an item is a function of damaged/lost inventory.

I must have been sleeping during this chapter in Econ 101. It goes without saying I never actually READ the chapter - even though I just said it.

Just curious. What do you all think? Also, sorry this is so OT.

Steve Oehmen

16. Bubby

Bubby TS Member

Brian in Oregon, your points are well taken. However the Crimson trace are button activated, therefore you do not have to leave them on. Do not depend to much on your night sights, after you fire your weapon about twice, the muzzle flash kills them. Laser sights are the very best devise today. Check the FBI stats, since many agencies started using them the percentage of vital hits from handguns have tripled. The red laser is however useless in bright sunlight. Almost every company is working on the green light.Crimson Trace, does have awesome customer service.

Bubby

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.