Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Would you upgrade an old 1100?

16K views 38 replies 24 participants last post by  vatrap 
#1 ·
I have an old (mid 70's) field model 1100, don't have much invested in it, but I also hardly ever shoot it. It's in good condition and works well, but it doesn't fit me so it just sits in the safe.

Would it be worthwhile to to spend the money in a newer screw in choked barrel, upgraded trigger and a stock that fits?

I think it would take about $700 to do all the upgrades listed above, will I end up with an 1100 that is really that much better?

Any helpful opinions welcome.

Thanks,
Mike

#3 ·
Mike-

I'm doing exactly that with an 1100 I bought in the early 80's. I stopped using it a few years after I bought it, when most of my scores were below 20. Recently I put a new custom-fitted stock on it and a KeenSight raised rib, and today I shot a 24 with it. I'm delighted with the results and I would do it again in a heartbeat.

Ted K.

#5 ·
Sorry, I should have been more specific. I was not planning on making another trap gun, although I do have a couple of 1100 step rib barrels that could be pressed into service if the need arose.

I was really more interested in building a home built competition model, with the following components;

Probore Competition 30" barrel, since I already have a full set of Probore tubes for my STS, they are still for sale on the Remington website for about $300.

Wenig New American stock with an adjustable comb, one of the local stockmakers has agreed to help me with it over the winter. I may just buy the Jack West set, but I prefer wood and a monte carlo stock.

Have Stu Wright tune the trigger.

Mike

#6 ·
Sounds like you have already given this good thought; it would be great to take an old-timer and bring it into competition mode. Visit any car restoration show or drag strip and you will see lots of cars with lots of nostalgia that someone cared enough to put into a competition mode. That said, only you can decide whether the $$ are well spent this way. My back-up trap is a well used 1100 field gun with a few modest upgrades... Best Regards, Ed

#7 ·
Mike, You can do what you are talking about for way less then 700 bucks.

Jack West adjustable stock less then 300 with a soft comb.

Send your factory trigger to Phil Crenweldge ( AKA Dr. Phils's gunsmithing) and he will make it feel like a Timney for less then 50 bucks including freight both ways.

If your barrel has a fixed full choke it already has what it needs for a trap gun. Just jack up your comb and shoot it!

or you could buy a used choke tube target barrel with chokes for handicap and singles.

Used Remington 1100 trp guns are not moving at the moment. I suspect if you shop long and hard you could find a really, really nice Remington 1100 trap or trap-T for that matter for 600 bucks. FWIW Jeff

#9 ·
...JW stock set is very short LOP as received from factory or vendor. The stock feels a little low-grade also. Filling a JW stock with a material that could give it more mass would be an immediate and inexpensive improvement to a great product. JW stock is paintable too! I built an 1100 with a JW stock for a buddy - he loves the gun and smokes skeet and trap targets now. Granted I had Ballistics Specialties install their proprietary long choke in the heavy, Modified .730 bore 28" barrel I selected for his gun. In my opinion the thin, target-taper barrel is too light for clay target shooting. The heavy barrels are best.

#11 ·
Wenig New American Trap stock, has cast off and drop, 3/8" offset at toe. Great deal for $94 bucks unfinished, looks like you already have this on your list.

If you have 30" step rib Remington barrels (assuming fixed full) what do you think that the Probore Comp barrels are going to give you? not familiar with the Probore line, curious.

What is the difference you see between competition model that you want to build and a trap model?

good thread, I'm doing basically the same thing. I've got a Wenig on the way. Bought a very lightly used field model that I'm upgrading to trap stock and barrel. $94 for the stock, and $160 shipped for a 1977 stepped rib trap barrel with knockdown pin. I'm good to go for ~$250 plus some labor on my end with the stock. Will be patterning the barrel tomorrow night, only change I can see is an aftermarket barrel rib depending on what I learn tomorrow.

#12 ·
SonoraMike

ProBore is Remington's latest target barrel configuration. Barrels have long forcing cones, .735 bore diameter, and a wide target style rib with twin beads. The barrels are standard contour and weigh 2 pounds 11.5 ounces. The Probore chokes are theaded at the muzzle and have square threads.

Quote from Remington's catalog.

"Our Model 1100 Competition is super-tuned for the competitive scene. By overboring the 30" barrel and lengthening the forcing cones, we improved shot-to-shot pattern consistency and made what was one of the softest-recoiling actions in the world even easier on your shoulder."

I have sold several of the se barrels a have a couple more. $275 shipped.

Michael Goines

#13 ·
This thread may have gotten a little sidetracked, I'm not trying to make a trap gun out of a field gun. My intention is to end up with a general purpose clay target gun that I can use to shoot in the local winter leagues and some sporting clays with.

The winter leagues in this area shoot skeet, trap, 5 stand and wobble trap events.
I wanted to use a Probore barrel because they are overbored, softer shooting and I already had a complete set of choke tubes for it.

I shot it Tuesday night with the Probore barrel (thanks Dave) and a synthetic monte carlo stock and it actually worked pretty well. I need a 1/8" or so more in the comb height to get a good sight picture so the Wenig stock is next on the list.

Mike

#15 ·
Don't spend money on a screw-in choke. The fixed-choke barrel is fine. The trigger is also fine. Have the stock fit and a gooey pad installed, and you'll have one fine Trap gun.

Maybe have a center bead installed on the rib.

If you really want a screw-in choke, buy a barrel that already has one.

#16 ·
So the easy part is done, the ProBore barrel shoots well and about a 50/50 pattern with the standard monte carlo stock.

The Wenig stock is on order and should be here soon.

Anybody actually using one of the Hastings "target crusher" barrels that Shotgun Sports sold or have any experience with any of the Stan Baker overbored high rib barrels? Now that I'm halfway into it I might as well look at a higher rib trap barrel.

Mike

#17 ·
I built my now favorite trap gun by taking the barrel and stock off my old 1100 field gun, reblued the receiver and put a Hastings Target cruncher hi rib barrel. A Jack West stock with a recoil reducer inside the stock completed the process. The gun right now makes breaking trap targets seem a lot easier. FWIW. jm

#18 ·
Just a quick update.

I have most of the parts now, it's sort of getting out of hand.

I started out with a Sportsman 12- the plain version of an 1100, with field stock and a 28" modified choke barrel. Below are the parts I have been able to pick up here and off of the Remington parts website.

30" ProBore barrel with a full set of chokes-$200

New G3 stock from Remington-$56

G3 forearm-from a ts.com sale- $40

Keensight adjustable rib, -$175, (bought it for something else, but it will fit right on the ProBore barrel.

Wenig New American stock- $110 shipped

I bought the adjustable comb kits from Graco at $45 each to make both the G3 stock and the Wenig stock adjustable.

Besides the Keensight rib, I have about $500 in it and in looking through the reloading room/gun safes I have a 26" Skeet barrel, a 28" modified field barrel, and 28" step rib modified trap barrel, a 30" step rib full trap barrel and the ProBore barrel with choke tubes.

Now I just need to finish the Wenig stock and cut the G3 and Wenig stock for the adjustable combs, then attach the Keensight rib to the ProBore barrel and it should be ready for the winter leagues.

Mike

#20 ·
Figured it was time to update the thread as this project is about done.

<a href="http://s82.photobucket.com/albums/j265/mjeter_2006/?action=view¤t=DSC03237.jpg" target="_blank">
</a>

Above is the plain Sportsman 12 that started this project, birch stocks and a 28" modified barrel.

<a href="http://s82.photobucket.com/albums/j265/mjeter_2006/?action=view¤t=DSC03244.jpg" target="_blank">
</a>

Here as a photo of a factory G3 stock with graco hardware, Mike Allen of Virginia Beach cut both of the stocks on this project, and I later installed the hardware.

<a href="http://s82.photobucket.com/albums/j265/mjeter_2006/?action=view¤t=DSC03233.jpg" target="_blank">
</a>

G3 stock and forend on the Sportsman 12 receiver

<a href="http://s82.photobucket.com/albums/j265/mjeter_2006/?action=view¤t=DSC03239.jpg" target="_blank">
</a>

Mostly finished Wenig stock, with a pachmayr medium trap pad and one of the Country Gentleman's adjustable butt plates that came off another gun. It's not an exact fit but close enough until I see Aaron on the circuit somewhere this summer.

<a href="http://s82.photobucket.com/albums/j265/mjeter_2006/?action=view¤t=DSC03241.jpg" target="_blank">
</a>

Picture of the complete gun with all the barrels, a 30" Probore, 30" step rib trap barrel, 28" modified step rib trap barrel, 28" modified field barrel and a 26" skeet barrel.

<a href="http://s82.photobucket.com/albums/j265/mjeter_2006/?action=view¤t=DSC03235.jpg" target="_blank">
</a>

Close up of the G3 forend

<a href="http://s82.photobucket.com/albums/j265/mjeter_2006/?action=view¤t=DSC03242.jpg" target="_blank">
</a>

What 1100 barrel collection would be complete without a nickel satin trap barrel?

<a href="http://s82.photobucket.com/albums/j265/mjeter_2006/?action=view¤t=1100Mike.jpg" target="_blank">
</a>

Shooting it with the 26" skeet barrel on a quail hunting trip in December, it was so cold that day that with all the clothes I had on, I was crowding the stock a little to get a good sight picture.

<a href="http://s82.photobucket.com/albums/j265/mjeter_2006/?action=view¤t=DSC03228.jpg" target="_blank">
</a>

The results of the hunt, stuffed quail wrapped in Smithfield ham made by my wife for Christmas dinner.

Mike

#24 ·
sky buster...just my opinion, but isn't it this way with any non-collectible (shooting-oriented) gun? Buy a new or even lightly used K or P or B gun, shoot it a little bit, then learn that you'll have more money in it than you will ever get out of it...unless you are darn lucky. Best Regards, Ed

#25 ·
It's not about the money for me, it never really is or it would not be one of my winter projects.

The only thing that I really have any unrecoverable money in is the Wenig stock, all of the barrels were between $115 and $200, my wife shoots the modified trap barrel and the skeet barrel frequently on her 1100 so they are not going anywhere soon. I have already been offered more for the G3 stock and forend than I have in it, but it's not going anywhere either.

My next project is a Stevens 5000 SxS that has a Fajen stock that I want to setup to shoot vintage sporting clays events, doesn't cost much and if it fits well it will serve it's purpose. The enjoyment I get out of my project guns usually greatly exceeds any monetary investment I have in them.

Mike

#26 ·
I like the project any gun that you like and shoot well for under a grand is a joy and projects make the winters go by faster with the satisfaction of a completed project that you can shoot and have a personal attachment to. The problem is when the project is completed you will find an other a tinkers curse just do not get attached I build them mostly inexpensive guns work on them until I satisfied then put them in the safe there are 20 in there now and 2 in the works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.