1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Would you shoot this reload?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by JACK, Aug 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

I dont usually look at my shells as I load them into my Perazzi, but this one felt funny. I decided to pass on it and find out what I did to make this beauty. I also have new flats of TG and a few Win target loads. So I thought I'd use my "UNLOADER" (Gary Bulley pet project) and see what was in these little gems. the 3 shells. The TG and the AA are both 3dr 7.5

[​IMG]

The TG powder and shot

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The AA powder must be Titewad. And the pellets seem more uniforn. Adn the wad is more "wad-like" (one on the right)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have this a bit out of order, but the extra pellets caused th problem. It would have gone boom ok.

2. WarEagle2017

WarEagle2017 Active Member

Jack that is probaly where that sock that another guy here on TS.com ended up, use that shell cutter to see if His sock is in there. He has been looking all over for that sock...

3. JACK

EE. Funny stuff.

4. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

That is Winchester Ball powder in the Super Target.

Did by chance you start the lever handle down and then raised it back up as this would allow the shot to get between the wad and the hull and cause this problem?

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

5. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

I would not shoot it.

I don't hurry during reloading shot shell and really take my time with metallic. I consider that Murphy's law is always in force.

As I box my reloads, I inspect each crimp. Any crimp that has a broken section of hull or that looks like there is too little or too much of something in it goes into a practice bucket. I don't want to be distracted by a funny looking shell when shooting for record.

A bulging crimp to me indicates that there may be too much of something in the hull or that the wad is not properly seated. It does not take much additional powder to cause a problem. For that much bulge, I would cut the hull open.

Thanks for the pictures. The UNLOADER looks to be a good tool.

For my purposes, I use a old well sharpened Schrade hunting knife.

How fast does an UNLOADER work and how much effort is involved in its use?

Ed Ward

6. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Ed... Using Gary's unloader, you can cut a shell apart and have it in your hands in the time it takes you to OPEN your knife. No effort required. Insert shell, close handle, spin shell a few times and, presto.... done.. Dan Thome (Trap2)

7. School Teacher

Dan and Gary:

The UNLOADER looks like a great tool and I'll think about buying one.

The problem is that I only take a few loads apart a year and for a $33 savings I can use my Schrade "Old Timer". It has a fixed blade and is sharp as sin.

Ed Ward

8. threedeuces

threedeuces TS Member

Certainly your option but I will contest that the unloader is a gem of a tool.

9. poacherjoe

poacherjoe Well-Known Member

If you need a shell UNLOADER buy a PVC ratchet cutter for 7 bucks,Just put pressure on the shell with the cutting blade and spin it and it cuts like butter!!!Cut it where the wad is and you can save everything except the hull!

No cutting your finger,This method is safe.Go to Harbor freight tools and pick them up for 4-7 dollars!A buddy of mine was drinking and reloading and screwed up 2 five gallon buckets full of shells that he was going to throw away but I took them and cut them in half and got the 700X,primers,shot and wads.Quite a savings

10. sshotshell

sshotshell Member

WOW! Drinking and reloading at the same time....now there's a plan for disaster.

11. School Teacher

Poacher Joe:

Thanks for the comment on the PVC cutter. I have one but never thought about using it on a shot shell.

Three Deuces:

The UNLOADER is a neat looking tool. It is always a pleasure using a well made tool on the item for which it was designed. Now I got to have one. After thinking about some of the reloads I have tossed into my practice bucket, I will just cut them open and reclaim the components. I will then shoot practice whih what I normally shoot.

Gary Bulley:

The payment is in the mail.

Ed Ward

12. JACK

Shotshell. Yah-ah.

13. cottondoctor

cottondoctor Member

For no real reason - I will sort reloads that look like that one as I box my shells for a shoot - (otherwise my reloads stay in 5 gallon buckets until I need them) - I will then shoot those sorted/separated shells at practice and discard the hull as more times than not when a hull gives a crimp like that it will often do it again - as for breaking targets -I can’t tell the difference -

14. School Teacher

Gary:

I received my Unloader yesterday. I tried it out and it works great - very easy to use and is neat and clean. Over time, I believe that it will pay for itseld in reclaimed components and better reloads.

Thanks very much,

Ed Ward

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.