1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Would you return fire?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by jnoemanh, Jul 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jnoemanh

jnoemanh TS Member

May 20, 2007
    This isn't a trapshooting question, but I'd be interested in the opinions from here.

Years ago a group of us were shooting on a dove field with permission of the farmer who we knew. It was a long, narrow field, about 70-80 yards wide, and we were all spread out along one side of the field. I was at one far end of the field, and my wife was at the other end, near our friend, Bud.

A lone hunter, who we did not know, showed up and took a spot across the field from where my wife and Bud were. We assumed he had permission from the farmer to be there, and did not pay much attention to him.

After a bit this other hunter shot at a low-flying bird, and peppered my wife. She was not injured, but was shaken to think she'd been shot. Bud put his gun down, and walked across to field to explain, in plain English, to this fellow that his shooting was unacceptable.

I traded places with my wife, because she was afraid to stay where she had been. Another friend, Charles, was on the other side of Bud.

Sure enough the hunter across the field again shot at a low bird, this time peppering Bud. Bud put his hand to the side of his face, looked at the blood, and began rummaging in his bag. About that time Charles and I reched Bud.

"What are you doing?" we asked.

$#^(*(^*%, I know I've got some ^^%*% BB in here from the last time I went goose hunting, and I'm going to give that #$**^ a taste of it!!!!

No doubt he would have, but Charles and I restrained him until he calmed down and the lone hunter disappeared.

I've often wondered what I would have done if I'd have been the second person that hunter shot that day. I probably had some 2s or 4s in my bag.

Sure would have been tempting. And would have likely made him think twice before shooting low birds again.
  2. BMC

BMC Member

Oct 12, 2006
    I've had it happen to me and if you read the hunting forums after the first week of dove season, you will read a lot of similar stories to yours. While I, like you, would, under the heat of battle and rage, want to lob a volley of high brass his way, it would make me, or you as guilty and wreckless as the original unsafe shooter. The most common and most accurate advice in that situation is to instruct the wreckless shooter of what occurred and ask him to watch where he shoots. If he does it again, leave. Then report him to the authorities.
  3. Porcupine

Porcupine Active Member

Jan 29, 1998
    South Central Massachusetts
    No way would I have returned fire. One idiot with a gun is enough. This is a job for law enforcement. Escalation is not the answer in this situation. Remember what happened in Michigan about two years ago?

4. TommyTEREX

TommyTEREX Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Years ago, while on a duck hunt,a scaup set near my decoys. I desided to let it alone so as to add some life to my spread. After a sort time, BANG! one shot hits the water off to my side, the duck took off and flew towards me, thankfully uncle sams training took over, and I hit the dirt, next shot peppered me, and still didn`t drop the bird. After the dust cleared, and I used some terms you won`t hear in church, I stood up to ream this idiot a new one,the moron turned out to be my cousin! I was lucky, my parka stopped the shot, and I can tell you when we drove home the next day it was one long 8 hr. ride.

PS. I never hunted with him again, and his reason for shooting was he didn`t think I was in the blind. The worst part is the GD IMBECILE NEVERHIT THE BIRD!

TOM R.
  5. berettaman7

berettaman7 TS Member

Jan 29, 1998
    I would have walked over to that piece of crap and stuck his gun up were if anybody pulled the trigger the only sound coming out his gut would be a muffled one.

6. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

Jan 29, 1998
    When I was growing up, my brother and I used to pheasant hunt with my dad and uncle on private land. One day we were out and a drunk was spraying the corn field sitting on a fence with a deer rifle and a bottle of vodka. My father told us to get on the ground as low as we could go and he crawled on his belly and took out the drunk in the leg with his 16 gauge Mossberg bolt action. The sheriff showed up and deemed it was self defense and the drunk on the fence was arrested along with his vodka bottle and we never shot on that land again. Shotgun shotfall and 30.06 bullets are two different things. Sometimes things escalate so fast that you have to protect yourself.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.