1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Would you rather be eaten?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by senior smoke, Oct 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Hello:
    I have a little bit more than an hour until my next class. I had to write as the talk in my last class last hour was if the police did the correct thing by shooting and killing the animals that were let loose in Ohio?

This is hard to believe, but there were a few students as well as the assistant professor who felt the animals should have been tranqulized instead of shot. With 50+ lions, tigers, cheetahs, bears, running around neighborhoods at night, I believe the police did the right thing.

I love animals, but I don't want to have people eaten. Even Jack Hanna felt the police did the right thing under the circumstances. If the police were not able to shoot and kill all of them, I would have called the guard out to help.

Jack Hanna said once these animals got hungry, there would be a terrible situation on our hands. One student woman started crying over the animals. The professor felt that these animals should not have been in the hands of residents, but in zoos.

I don't know about you, but my family would be inside the house, and my gun close by. Anyone know why the owner let the out of their cages?
    Steve Balistreri

2. crusha

crusha TS Member

Because he was nuckin' futs.

People who own exotic pets in a non-occupational capacity usually are. This just (further) proves it.

You show me someone who owns a pet Python snake...and I'll give you 8-to-5 they have bodies buried under their house (or have thought about it).

3. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Buzz:
    Years ago my boss and I were walking in downtown Milwaukee on our lunch. We have a mall downtown and a teenager was walking about 10 feet a head of us inside the mall. It was cold outside and we thought he had a coat with a large collar around his neck.

Suddenly, two cops came and held their distance as he had a large snake wraped around his neck. Who does these crazy things? Recently in the Milwaukee area, someone caught a large size Piranha while fishing in a lagoon. They felt someone had it in an equarium and let it go in the lagoon.

In my opinion. people should not be able to purchase wierd things like exoctic animals, Piranhas, or poisoness snakes.
    Steve

4. locdoc

locdoc Member

The Ohio legislature is sure to get pressured to enact some sort of controls.

Doug Whiton, P/W dealer/dist

5. Sam Ogle

Sam Ogle Member

I saw the TV coverage with mixed emotions:
    The owner was nuts.....so much for that.
    The animals did not deserve to be killed, but, Humans, (unfortunately, in some cases) trump animals.
    The police didn't have much choice. Can you imagine the pandemonium if one of the lions or tigers had killed and eaten some one?
    The populace would have gone berserk, panicked, and "volunteers" would have armed themselves for a helluva beer drinking macho man hunt.
    Then, someone would have been shot, and the Cops would have been absolutely crucified by the press.
    It is sad, but the police did exactly the right thing.
    Sam Ogle, Lincoln, NE

6. crusha

crusha TS Member

Senior,

My fath-in-law used to be a teacher, and he had this girl that always dressed in black, black fingernail polish, etc. who came in one day with a python snake inserted through the sleeves of her coat. WTF? His sister adopted a son who turned out to have fetal alcohol syndrome. They raised him to adulthood, but he had problems. He had every kind of exotic snake you can think of while he lived in Florida...and turned them loose in the swamp when he moved out of state. (So you know who to thank, when the Alligator who's trying to eat your golfing buddy gets squashed by an Anaconda).

I'm somewhat on the fence about pit bulls...because they're potentially great dogs, and I've seen ones that were the most lovable things you ever encountered. But when it comes to the weird snakes...no. I'm sorry, but I've just never seen one of those owners yet who wasn't whacked, in some way. There's a 2-way relationship between people and dogs...they lick your hand, wag their tail when they see you...but snakes? Come on.

Those people are weirdos. Period.

7. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

I don't think they make a traquilizer gun that shoots 200 yards.

Any volunteers to run up and shoot a Tiger at 50 yards? The PETA folks are the first to bitch, and the last to volunteer.

8. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

About as much brains as "Grizzley Man", who not so surprisingly, got eaten by the very grizzleys he was hanging out with LOL.

9. daddiooo

daddiooo TS Supporters TS Supporters

Just where were the PETA folks when the emergency was in full swing??

Cowering behind the broccoli display at their local grocery store??

Have to commend the police for their bravery. Hell, these guys were having to shoot the big cats at close range with a side arm.

10. Baron23

Baron23 Well-Known Member

Its a crying shame these animals needed to be killed. Have you ever seen a Bengal tiger in an open format zoo like Miami's. They are magnificent and there are less than 4,000 of them in the wild in the world.

With that said, there is no way I'm going to second guess the LEO's and other officials who were on the scene and who had the responsibility of controlling this situation and protecting their citizens.

I just wish the a-hole who released them hadn't killed himself so that he could face judgement in court, both legal and public opinion, for his callow actions. This man's actions were callous and irresponsible in the extreme and he appears to have been a coward, in my view.

11. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

One report said an animal control officer tried to tranquilize one of the animals and it only pissed it off. Would it have been possible to expeditiously bring in zoo keepers proficiently trained and experienced enough to handle the situation? I think not!

12. daddiooo

daddiooo TS Supporters TS Supporters

Had the dirtbag owner cared at all about the welfare of his animals zoos all over the country would have taken in all of these animals.

In an interview the sheriff stated that multiple government agencies including his department had been out to the location numerous times but the PD was never given the order to shut it down.

Would sure like to get a list of those agencies and request an explanation of why it got to this stage? Just another great job by government.

13. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Buzz-gun, just so you know, I used to have several snakes and one of them was a Burmiese Python. I also had a florida king snake, red rat (cornsnake) and a Common Boa as well. I grew out of snakes when I started thinking about girls. I've never thought about placing anyone alive or dead under my home. And Yes, I also agree that the pet shops have sold numerous animals of all types that have hurt the local wildlife. Someone should have thought about all these problems before they allowed them into this country, but no one stopped it. We are the ones who let them go, sold them off, or let them escape.
    The bottom line is this blunder makes us stop and think. It was a shame that all these animals had to die and under the national TV spotlight as well. But no one wants these animals anymore. Most Zoo's are barely making it and there is no growth only downsizing in zoo's today. Families just do not go to the zoo anymore. They spend there hard earned money other ways now. Oh Yeh, just so you know, the ave. Joe can't own a poisoness snake. You must have permits that are hard to obtain.
    "Oh No" I just got this terible Buzzing in my head. I must stop the buzzing, I must stop the buzzing, I must stop the buzzing. LOL break em all Jeff

14. billyboy07208

billyboy07208 Member

2400 bengal tigers left in the world and this one bozo had 18 now all dead wtf?

15. BigBadBob

BigBadBob TS Member

With that many big cats and large bears running around, what the hell else could they have done? I agree, it is a shame that they had to kill them but be realistic. Had it only been 1 or 2 tigers they probably could have tranquilized them, but 18? They did the right thing. As far as PETA is concerned, they had their chance and blew it when the animals were still alive and in their cages. Any one who is on Peta's side is a blooming idiot.

16. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Latest is the guy was deeply mired in debt and had the tax guys crawling into his shorts. So he let the critters out and offed himself.

The real idiots here are the local authorities who permitted the keeping of this many exotic animals without some kind of oversight.

But you won't hear that.

HM

17. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Heard today that there are more Bengal Tigers in Texas than in the wild. Obviously, there's some kind of market.

My Tigers got their butt kicked by Texas. They played like they were tranquilized!

18. avery53

avery53 Member

((((My Tigers got their butt kicked by Texas. They played like they were tranquilized!))))

Hee Hee! Yeah, I'm a Michigander too.

19. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

What a bizarre story, Noah's ark meets acid trip!

20. 221

221 Banned User Banned TS Supporters

The guy was just released from a year in prison for possessing un registered firearms. The guy had champion draft horses, rode custom Harley's, liked to fly.....yet no one knows where all the money came from. Someone should be looking at who else is involved.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.