1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Would You Join This Club?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by KEYBEAR, Jan 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

I guess the question begging to be ask is why join . Kind of sounds like a bunch of kids playing games . Do you need to be hopping on one foot when you ask to pee .

2. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

Sounds like they are a careful and thoughful group. The problem is trying to get rid of a member who proves to be a bad choice. A member who is argumentative, un-cooperative, combative etc, can destroy the harmony within a club and make membership less enjoyable for all the members. Is that the kind of club you want to belong to?

This procedure helps avoid that problem. If you are a trouble maker or can't stand the scutiny, don't apply. I'll bet that they are equally scrupulous about weeding out their mistakes.

We have all shot at club's where the members did not get alond or were at each others throats. This is an attempt to reduce that possibilty to zero. What a concept; a harmonious club!

3. Hatshooter

Hatshooter TS Member

Why would you want to join a club that did not offer trap or skeet ? they look pretty inefficent to close the trap-skeet ranges & still have the physical traphouses in plain view.

4. Onceabum

Onceabum TS Member

Is Obama president of this club?

5. kehrby

kehrby Active Member

You've got to be kidding! Sounds like a bunch of pistol and rifle nazis to me. We have a similar type club nearby that went through something like this. After many years of declining membership they realized that they needed to get as many people into the shooting sports as possible no matter the discipline. The old grumpy farts that had brought this on were finally overruled and a new trap field was built. I'd say run away from this place until they get their heads unstuck from wherever they have them!

Steve

6. jagrdawger

jagrdawger TS Member

Absolutely NO.

Sounds like a group with only one interest took over a facility that they could not have built themselves and now that they have a majority they want to limit those who might try to retake the club for its original purpose.

I just resigned from the board of a club headed that way. Trap shooting paid for and built the club. They let a group of archers begin shooting there and now most of the trap shooters are leaving. The 3D guys have forced the sporting clays to stop because they do not like to see little pieces of orange in the woods and they also object to the orange being left on the trap fields.

They like to brag about how good "their" club is because of the facilities when other archery only clubs barely have a target shack on some land. As the clays games diminish the reality of the cost of those facilities will begin setting in. Single sports are hard pressed to pay their way in rural WI. Revenues at this club have dropped greatly in the past 5 years. Another club that played that game with rifles and pistols also saw a split and a new trap club opened nearby that took many of their members.

Clubs that try to exclude other sports generally hurt themselves in the long run.

7. jeffprigge

jeffprigge Active Member

PASS !!!!!!!

8. GW22

GW22 Active Member

No. In general it's BS, but there's good and bad in it. Unfortunately this is the crap we get when we fail to police our own and the wrong type of people get into clubs & shooting. There's a hundred times more dangerous gun handling (truly and explicitly dangerous) going on at pistol & rifle ranges than I ever saw at trap clubs.

-Gary

9. warpspeed

warpspeed Member

Since I do not live in MD, I would not but if I did live in MD, I might consider depending on the facilities.

I've shot pistol @ a club that was run by the "trap nazis" and though I was always there as a guest, they seem to get along OK. I've never understood the us vs them stuff.

10. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

Pistol, rifle and SAS clubs that run off the trap and skeet members loose strength in fighting the anti-gunners.

It takes a whole lot less range space to operate a trap and skeet operation when you consider how much space is needed for saftey considering the distance bullets will fly vs shot.

With urban development taking over everywhere, we need all the help we can get from each other.

I don't understand either certain disciplines running off others, just because those in control don't particpate in those disciplines. I have seen this happen too.

11. W.R.Buchanan

W.R.Buchanan Member

My club has a similar, but not quite as invasive, membership requirement. You do have to be selective about your membership to a certain extent. But, Virtually no one is turned away as they have long since realized that the more members you have the more political and resource power you have. IE strength in numbers..

The amount that you decide to participate shouldn't be a factor, we have guys who might come once a year to shoot their .22's at the 50 yd gong, and we have guys that are there most every weekend, and shoot everything from trap to National Match. We have archers, airgunners, black powder, Cowboys, Trap, Skeet and many other things too. There are people that are only interseted in one thing, and there are others who do many things. It's all good.

In CA, Club Membership a major issue as virtually all left leaning politicians are gunning for gun owners and thus clubs. Our club's venue is located on Public Land and is monitored by the Forrest Service which we constantly have to please. Our lease is year to year and could be revoked at any time.

However we have been there for 40+ years so we must be doing something right.

I think you have to control your membership to the degree that you keep out felons, crazys and other undesirable people, but encourage as many to come in as possible.

Obama has done more for our membership numbers than any other single factor in recent history. I believe we have added around 100 new members in the last year. People do see the problems and some actually do something about it.

Randy

12. 687EELL

687EELL TS Member

This is the first club that I shot trap at in. This also was the first club that I became a member of in 1967. I was a member for over 10 years when I quit. During the late 1970's and early 1980's, we were having trouble with a lawyer who lived across some wet lands from the club about noise. He moved out about 3 years after this suit started I believe (can't remember all the details now). Instead of the club hiring a GOOD lawyer, they chose the ambulance chaser one who was also a club member. When he finally realized he was way over his head...HE QUIT...You also have to take into the fact that most of these newer members are from Annapolis, MD, and most if not all think their shit don't stink..............Rick Johnson

13. mx2005

mx2005 TS Member

To me it sounds like the board members have taken ownerssip of the club and made it there own place. I don't go near any club like that because anything you say or do or ask about will not be heard it will be on deaf ears STAY AWAY . PAT .K.

14. crusha

crusha TS Member

If unsupervised access to property and/or valuables is the issue, background checks are OK, but it shouldn't extend beyond that. If they pass the check, take their money and let them in.

The stuff about giving members veto power over anyone who wants to join smacks of a "Tree House" mentality. Sounds like an Old Ladies' Quilting Circle ("Susie so-and-so insulted Becky's rhubarb pie recipe one time 10 years ago, and we want to keep her out...")

If they want to be a Tree House club, they should make the membership vote the first step in the application process. No sense making the person cough up a $100 non-refundable app. fee for a background check, if a couple old sore-heads are just going to veto them, anyway.

15. rodbuster

rodbuster TS Member

I agree with what Rick Barker said. We have a club in the area whose officers and board have pretty much done whatever they could to alienate the trapshooting members. The cowboy action and pistol group have done quite a bit to dampen interest in trapshooting. I guess that we don't have enough to deal with in Illinois, let alone the officers and board members who are doing there best to push the trapshooters out. Then they wonder why they can't get more people to go downstate for Illinois Gun Owners Lobby Day.

In my opinion, I would look for another club to join.

16. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Sounds like a bunch of cop wannabees to me.

Shooting doesn't need anal retentive fascists.

HM

17. Bluedotman

Bluedotman Active Member

Do you have to take a rectial exam to become one of them A##holes?

18. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

I would never want to join a club that would have "Dimwithaub" as a member....

19. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Must be nice to have the market cornered such that you can treat potential members so shabbily. Most gun club that I know of (including mine) are happy just get a few new members and we do go out of our way to treat them decently.

20. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

They want people that fit their mold. It doesn't make them bad people and it doesn't make them good either. They think it's beneficial to the organization to limit the membership to folks with like backgrounds. They don't care if you like it or not.

Not my kind of club. I like to make up my own mind about folks. Probably why I'm not much of a joiner.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.