1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Would you have Carpal tunnel surgery?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by striper, Dec 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. striper

striper Member

I am 70 years old have been diagnosed with CTS. It is not horrible but annoying. I love to fish and shoot both involves lots of hand work. I have read some of the negative aspects of the surgery, but was wondering who has had it. Recovery time? Therapy how long? Did it lessen in any way the use of you hands,less of a grip, or mobility. Does the condition lessen if you give your hands a rest of a month or two? Would you do it again. This will help me make up my mind your commments are always very constructive and helpful. TY Striper

2. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Research, research, research. One to look at is the surgery provided by Dr. Brown's group. Should be able to find on the internet. A much less invasive procedure but there may be other new things going on. Medical stuff is constantly improving. Do the research and good luck.

3. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

my wife is a medical transcriptionist. she has had cts in the past, infact she has it at the present time in her wrist. usually people who do repetitive things get this. her co-workers have also come down with it. years ago the way some doctors treated this aliment was they would get a big heavy book and come down hard on the syst so the syst would break up. i am not kidding, this is how they handled it years ago. the last time my wife had it, it went away on it's own. this time, because it is in the wrist area, she is experincing some discomfort and might have to have surgery. the only good thing about it, it's not life threanting.
    steve balistreri

4. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

Considering your age if it's really bothering you I've known a couple of people who swear by their surgery. I suffered really bad from my carpal tunnel while I worked but about a year after I retired it got much better so I didn't have the surgery. However if it had stayed as bad as it was when I was working I would have seriously thought about getting the surgery. As it is now I'll live with it.

5. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

steve balistreri: You have a Bible cyst confused with CTS. I have had both, and still have CTS on my right wrist. A Bible cyst is a cyst that protudes from the top of the wrist. My wife has broked mine severial times with a book (common way). CTS is completely different, and requires minor surgery to repair. Which I have not had done.

6. bill1949

bill1949 Well-Known Member

I have had Carpal Tunnel release surgery twice on each hand. Have it again, surgeon said I have only about a 25% chance of successful surgery again, I'll just live with it now that I'm retired. I would have had steroid injections first if I had it to do over again...Bill

7. 391 shooter

391 shooter Well-Known Member

NO NO NO

8. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

Had my rt hand done in 92 orthoscoic would have it done again in a minute. Use to wake me up at nite it was so bad. I think I was shooting again in a couple of weeks went back to work the next day. Lifting restraints for 6 weeks from what I remember. I did put it off for 10 years from the time it started bothering me. Bill

9. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I had it many years ago and sooner or later it will come back if you keep doing the same thing over and over ... I have thought about having it done again but until I cannot bowl or shoot I will leave it alone ...

I also have Dupuytrens Contracture on one of the fingers of my left hand that is really getting to be a problem because it wake me up at times ... I tell my wife its from wearing the wedding ring but she isn't buying it, so here again until it get in the way more than it does I will opt to leave it alone also ...
    WPT ... (YAC) ...

10. plumbcrazyjr

plumbcrazyjr TS Member

I had cts on both wrist and had the surgury when i was 25 and am 30 now and doing the same job and would recommend it being done if it bothers you to the point of not being able to do the things you enjoy doing. Mine would wake me up at night and would drop things all the time. recovery in about a month with minimal theropy just annoying scar tissue that had to be worked out.
    hope this helps
    Eric Rogers

11. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

Striper, I think it's a subjective decision you need to make on your own. If it's merely an uncomfortable annoyance I would live with it. If it prohibited me from doing the things I enjoy, the surgery for me would be a risk worth taking. I suffer from tennis elbow, trigger thumb "not a joke" and ulnar neuropathy, all of which doctors have suggested surgery for and none of which I feel the need is sufficient.

Robert

12. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

I had bi lateral done when I was 31. Hands always asleep, couldn't sleep and constantly dropping things. Best corrective surgery I ever had. Recovery was a bummer but I had it done in 1983. From what I hear it is much better these days. It was good for me. Jake

13. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy TS Member

My wife had it done on her left hand. She is now pain free and swears by it. She has now scheduled surgery for her right hand. I can tell you first hand, pun intended, it has worked wonders. She use to have to wear wrist braces almost all of the time. That is not necessary for her left hand and soon will not be necessary for her right hand. It is a very minor operation and by all means, if it bothers you, have it done. We are going in the morniing for her pre-op exam. It is band-aid surgery. A very small incision.

14. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

I had Carpal Tunnel Surgery done 25 years ago. I couldn't hold a cup. I couldn't feel the grip and I would drop the cup or what I had in hand. Now 25 years later still no trouble. I would get it done again if needed.

15. trap7

trap7 Member

I just had surgery on Dec 9 on my right hand it is doing great but was very painful for awhile i had what the doctor called open surgery about a 2 and 1/2 in cut no more nights that my hand went to sleep best of all i think i will be able to feel the release trigger now on the gun, Like the cable man say`s getter done asap Jerry

16. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Before you have surgery...go to a good chiropractor!

Many many cases can fixed without surgery!

17. gotbass

gotbass Member

About 13 years ago I had the problem with both hands worse with the left. Had it done, no problem. If you let it go too long you can have nerve damage. Mine was caused by fishing and keyboarding. Slowed down on fishing and haven't had to have right done yet, retiring in 2 months so maybe I will get to fish enough to make it act up again, I hope. I had a chiropractor I fished with give me a "treatment" worked for a while, but wore off. Remember this is caused by inflamation of the sheaths that the nerves run in in the wrist area so the cure is to make more room which is done by opening up the sheath. I would do it again in a minute.

18. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

I had both hands done by the newer treatment of going though the wrist and doing the procedure on the inside of the hand. Was shooting in less than two weeks. I would have it done again in a second and with this procedure you can wipe your own hind-end.LOL

Ajax

19. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

I had both done over 20 years ago. I had no choice as the pain would wake me in the night and I was dropping things all the time. Check out your nonsurgical options and stop doing what is causing the problem. I would have them done again if needed. Oh, and if you have the surgery, don't whack anything with the palm of that hand ... it will light you up. Bill Malcolm

20. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

I had both hands done in 1998. What AJAX said. I would have it done in a New York Second. Went to work the next day, had other hand done 10 days after the first. No problem since. :^)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.