1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Would you call this a 'distraction' ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Porcupine, Jul 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Porcupine

Porcupine Active Member

Would you call this a

How about if the shooter to your left, after he shot, opened up his gun and ejected the fired case straight up in front of him, caught it, and then put it in his shell bag? Would that 'distract' you enough for you to say something? Would it matter if he did it either before or after you shot?

LA in MA

2. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

If that distracts you, you are not focusing on what's going on with yourself,wearing blinders will not allow you to see this if your eyes are downrange where they should be.

Many good shooters catch the shell, the process starts and ends quick, wait until they are finished before you call if it still bothers you.

3. Milkbone

Milkbone TS Member

I hope this is a joke.

4. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Not a distraction for me in the least,...but i've seen many juniors who do this and think the fancy shell catch shenanigans make them look "cool"...funny how a miss kills the cool

5. capvan

capvan Active Member

I like the folks that blow the smoke out of their barrel after every shot...

6. Old Confederate

Old Confederate TS Member

The reason some people blow smoke out of the barrels is to make sure a base wad is not in the barrel. You may never find one but if you do it was worth all the checking. Larry

7. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Shell catchers and smoke blowers are far less distacting than guys that raise their guns before their turn or bumblers that can't stand still or have no sense of sqaud timing or rhythm.

Frank Little blew smoke and no one laughed.

8. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

Shooting left handed means that you are facing the person to your left in hich case that could be distracting.

9. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

I do make an exception for lefties, no movement until they shoot.

10. CalamitySJ

CalamitySJ Member

I recently volunteered to pull trap for a high school tournament. One teen on a squad not only popped his empty hull straight up in the air but followed that up by kicking the shell midair toward the traphouse! It took me at least two more post rotations to stop looking to his squadmates to stop it, that they must be used to it and it didn't affect them.

They were so positive and supportive to each other throughout their rounds that I told their coach, once they were done, how very impressed with their team spirit. I also told him that I would have gone crazy shooting with anyone who had that unusual shell discharge habit but that it was obvious that his squadmates had gotten used to it.

He told me it was their first time shooting together--EVER!! I guess that just goes to show that kids are a lot more forgiving of peccadillos than adults, eh?

11. rodbuster

rodbuster TS Member

It depends, does he catch it with his teeth?

12. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

Not sure how much of a distraction it is but, the the person doing it surely know it is and it totally works on the side of that shooter. Kicking the spent shell, what an ass clown. Might fall in line with trap etiquette or lack there of.

When I first started shooting trap my dad would push the stay focused issue, block out the surroundings, bear down and keep your head in the game. Was told in the exact words "don't be worrying about the guy next to you even if he's having a heart attack and falls over." My initial thoughts "J C man it's only a clay bird." But, I know where he was coming from.

13. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

more bush league.

14. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

That's a lookie-at-me thing that gets to be a habit over time.

Wait till the kickin kid gets squadded with BIGDON or such? Schools in session now children.:) Hap

15. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

Well I blow the smoke out of my barrel, so I can look to make sure there is no obstruction. I didn’t know I was doing something annoying. Guess I was taught safety first. Now I’ll just let the damn thing blow up so as not to annoy anybody.

16. gasman03

gasman03 Member

Sounds like there are shooters creating their own distractions by worry about what the guy next to them is doing. If you are in your zone on the line you will never know what the other guy is doing. Some of you guys ever thought about just shooting by yourself and going home at the end of the day with nothing to complain about?

Corey

17. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

It's always easy to blame the other guy for your misses. Pay attention and you'll never notice most of the antics. And if they bother you that much, wait until their done before continuing.

Big Jack

18. Hellonwheels

Hellonwheels TS Member

Smoke blowers are only a distraction when they set of the voice calls. Really, it happened the last shoot. I just had to wait to call for my bird. Even with blinders I could see his gunbarrel come up (I'm a lefty) Was squadded with him for several events. Nice guy, just a little "windy"!

Zella

19. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Common courtesy would dictate that he remove the spent shell with the out any amount of theatrics. He is a idiot and should be banned form the club for a month. If it happens again his should never be allowed to return to the club.

20. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

I watch many shooters with their heads and eyes all over the place looking everywhere except downrange, then when it's their turn they take a quick look and call pull before their eyes are truly set and focused.

Really watch a squad of All-Americans and notice where their focus is at all times, they are on the ready, eyes forward, many load and unload without even looking down at their gun.

Noticing how others unload and letting it bother you is what's DUMB.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

content