1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Would you buy from a "new user" on Gunbroker ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by bluskyshooter, May 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bluskyshooter

bluskyshooter Active Member

Just curious how you would vote - yes or no ? There is a rifle I would like to purchase on Gunbroker .. but the seller is brand new with no feedback. Really kind of nervous about the deal. Also, they list Paypal as the only method of payment. There is no way I would pay using Paypal. Brian

update - actually, I did email and got a reply (written in decent grammar) from a lady .. said she was selling the gun which belonged to her dad ... who had passed away 1 year ago.

2. dmarbell

dmarbell Active Member

I think you should steer clear. I don't believe Paypal can be used to pay for a firearm. New user, Paypal, it smells like a potential scam.

Email the seller and see what kind of response you get.

Danny

3. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

Pay pal only would be a deal breaker for me. If Pay Pal finds out it's a firearm, which violates their policy, they will lock up your account and it will take a long time to get your money back.

As far as a new user that doesn't bother me if I can call and talk to them and they give me their home address and phone number so I can check up on them if I feel the need.

4. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Would you buy from

Maybe I'm sheltered but my opinion on using pay pal is different. I use my credit card which is registered with them and if I have any problem I contact the credit card company but Pay Pal has changed a lot for the better in the last year or so. Jackie B.

5. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

Would you buy from a

The suggested way it to sell a few smaller items to build up some credibility before you jump in with a big ticket item. It doesn't matter how you put the funds in your Pay Pal account they will freeze it if they find out you violated their policy by using it to purchase a firearm or anything else they don't want you to have.

6. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Would you buy from a

Pay Pally just like E-Bay is anti gun as hell and why people into gun related shopping want to add the their coffers is beyond me! If thats the only way someone will take my money for a gun, they can keep the damned thing!

Hap

7. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Would you buy from a

The "new user" thing wouldn't bother me.........the "PayPal only" thing would be a deal breaker tho'

8. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Would you buy from a

Use the "Ask the Seller a question" and then see how you feel. It's the only thing you've got. Sometimes the answer can tell you all you need to know (and it's free).

9. DaveXT

DaveXT Member

Would you buy from a

I would if...he would provide a name, address, phone number, and any other info I need to feel confident. You can verify that info easily on the web. Will he take the item to a gun shop in the area if you need to talk to a 3rd party?

Good luck.
    Dave

10. Butler

Butler TS Member

Would you buy from a

I had a bad purchase on e-bay, (item not as described) contacted pay pal and e=bay and got a full refund within 10 days, it was a scope not a gun Jim

11. oldstuff

oldstuff Member

Would you buy from a

When I started selling on Ebay I had zero feedbacks. I now 1496 with out a complaint. You gotta start somewhere. Send the seller a question and ask if they would contact you personally ( you may have to give a ph. #)and tell them why you wouldn't use Paypal. If they can't be reasoned with--don't buy.

12. Model Number 12

Model Number 12 TS Member

Would you buy from a

I have had problems with Gunbroker and a bad seller. Beware of them.

13. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Would you buy from a

Have the seller send from a FFL licensee on their end. You send the funds to the FFL.

this will flush out any scammer.

HM

14. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

Would you buy from a

Halfmile beat me to it. Make them send the gun thru an FFL. If they balk.....Walk

JK

15. SilverShooter

SilverShooter TS Member

Would you buy from a

Ask the seller if he is the orginal owner or if he bought it from a FFL dealer. If so, ask for a copy of the reciept PRIOR to sending funds. Most store based or FFL gun seller reciepts will have serial numbers and phone numbers -- then call and verify if you still have concerns

If they have no reciept, or balk at the questions....then you should consider that you have NO recourse except hope. I have asked that to two GB sellers with no feedback and neither have sent replies! NTS, I did not buy...

That said, I have bought from several who had only 2 or 3 transactions as buyers.

16. Doug Brown

Doug Brown Well-Known Member

Would you buy from a

I have before.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.