1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Would the "Artillery" hold work for Trap?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by biff, Dec 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. biff

biff Active Member

In air rifle shooting they have discussed and proved that an "Artillery" hold improves the accuracy of some air rifles for better scores. With this Artillery hold, the gun is held rather losely and allowed to recoil freely while being shot. Also most airguns need a longer hold time because of their long lock time. Spring powered airguns have recoil and vibration which can and does affect their accuracy. Cannons have alot of recoil and the barrel travels backwards with recoil as the projectile moves out, yet with all this movement they are very accurate.

Therefore would/could trap scores improve if the shooter held the gun loosely rather than locking the gun into the shoulder very tight? Which do you think is better, a tight or a loose hold? Biff

2. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Would the

Until Handicap loads are shot (ouch). Many O/U's might fan-fire if held very loosely.

3. Bluedotman

Bluedotman Active Member

Would the

Biff it work's for me ihave been useing the Artillery hold for 2 years works for me.

4. Richshoots

Richshoots TS Member

Would the

Biff,
    Why not try both "holds" and personally evaluate the out come ??
    Just askin'
    Rich

5. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

Would the

I do believe that this is the first time I've heard the words "cannon" and "accurate" used in the same sentence.

Please define for us what you mean by accurate?

6. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Would the

Don't think I want to give my gun a running head start to hit me in the shoulder. But then I'm a BIG CHICKEN. Ross Puls

7. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Would the

A weak relaxed hold makes for difficulty on the second shot in doubles. Too much stock/gun movement away from the eyes. I prefer a firm grasp and grip pulling the pad into my shoulder pocket to become one with my shotgun. I think tank turret rather than a loose cannon? :) I can shoot like both at times though.

Hap

8. indycamster

indycamster Member

Would the

I vote for firm tight to the shoulder, cheek, firm hand on grip. To do otherwise seems counterintuitive. When I first started shooting, with the the old 870, it would let me know, in no uncertain terms, that it wanted to be quite snug to the shoulder, or it would try to kick it off...
    Now as for the "Artillery" hold as an innovation to improve "Trap scores," I am not sure the two disciplines are compatible. Shooting an air gun at a fixed target vs, a 12 gauge at rising, moving target, is just too different to have any meaningful value to trap. And with the thousands of shooters who shoot thousands of shells, at practice and clinics, surely the "Artillery hold" would have caught on and be the latest rage. Also, our terminology is so subjective, it is difficult to really say what is a "firm" hold or "loose" hold. I know what is firm to me, but I don't see how anyone watching me could tell one from the other.
    I really admire your willingness to "think out of the box." And try new things.
    Take care.

9. 221

221 Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Would the

<EM>"Artillery Hold"</em>......now that's a good one....ROFLMAO.....Who the hell dreamt that up......some ones snort-in too much crack again

10. xringjim

xringjim TS Member

Would the

Hap, thanks for pointing out your opinion on 'loose or hard'. I think my 'doubles' game is about to improve. Jim

11. Phil Kiner

Phil Kiner Well-Known Member

Would the

NO!!!!

12. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Would the

Now What would He Know?? LMFO Too funny Phil.

13. phirel

phirel TS Member

Would the

I hold the gun very firmly, perhaps tight, with both hands and keep it very tight against my shoulder. This provides the best gun control for me. An added advantage of a tight grip with both hands is that the hands and arms will absorb quite a bit of recoil.

Pat Ireland

14. biff

biff Active Member

Would the

Rastoff, have you ever heard of a German "88" used during WWll?

221, I won't ask nor tell who left your cage door open, but have you ever contributed a positive comment on here? I was reading the airgun newsletter by Tom Gaylord the airgun Guru on the Pyramid Air web site and he was talking about a looser hold for better accuracy with airguns. He was the person that coined the word "Artillery" hold. No, it has nothing to do nor mentions trap shooting, but it piqued my interest as to whether this technique might apply to shooting shotguns.

I was not thinking of so loose of a hold of a shotgun where you would come out of a gun during the move to the target, but possibly a less rigid grip in controlling rearward recoil. I feel it is sometimes good to throw a thought out and give some of the shooters something to think about in their quest to improve their ability to break targets and yes when I shoot some targets in the future I will definitely vary some of my gun mounted holds.

I don't profess know much about trap or even be a good shooter anywhere like Phil,Ray,Leo or Harlan, but they got there through a route of experimentation, thoughts, and hard work. You will never know what your potential is for shooting if you never challenge yourself to be better than you are now!Biff

15. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

Would the

No I haven't heard of a German "88", but that's not really the point. Usually, artillery accuracy is measured in "ball park" terms. This makes sense when you're talking about the immense ranges used with artillery.

So, a cannon that puts a shell within a few feet of a target is really accurate for a cannon. The precision necessary for a shotgun is much tighter. Sure, the shotgun is not as accurate as a bench rest rifle, but it certainly requires more accuracy than a giant piece of artillery.

Further, they are two completely different platforms. Even though the barrel will move backward with the recoil, the gun itself is held very rigidly.

I agree with the idea of exchanging ideas. I think it was a good idea to open this up for discussion. I wasn't making fun of your original post. I just don't think this idea of holding the gun loosely will promote better scores. It may work for the odd man out, but not for most.

16. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Would the

Maybe we can solve the problems with the Super Handicappers by makeing them shoot "artillery" style. {:0) Ho ho ho!

17. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

Would the

I can put the death grip on my gun or hold it like I would a newborn baby..and still miss just as many..

18. biff

biff Active Member

Would the

Yoda, I think you are absolutely right about doubles, glad you pointed that out.

ctreay, Browning made a recoilless shotgun where the barrel travelled forward when fired to counteract the recoil, but I think the slow lock time interferred with it making a great trap gun.

Rastoff, I didn't take it as anything other than discussion. I actually plan to petition the ATA next year to make it legal for the Senior Vet Class if they choose to use the "Artillery" method that they can then be placed on cassions, dollies, or stood in a shopping cart when they go to the line to shoot their events. That way the recoil would be somewhat negated and would place their shots within the ballpark of where the target flies! Biff

19. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Would the

Biff you must forgive young Rastoff as he is ignorant of the fact we fought a war with the Germans in the 40's. It is quite possible that a modified version of the so called "artillery hold" might work in trap.

If trapshooting was an exactness then all you would need would be 4 BB's. No you throw over 350 BB's at the target covering an area where the bird is flying. Sounds a little bit like artillery putting a round into an area and causing damage in a larger area around it. So Rastoff don't be so quick to knock the Biffster and write him off as a know not, he was merely posing a what if. When you have shot as many targets as he then you can lecture him.

Don

20. CannonCocker

CannonCocker TS Member

Would the

Sigh.

Artillery isn't "loose". It merely has a recoil reduction system. How that relates to grip I don't understand at all.

Most artillery pieces have trails that are dug into the ground to "firm" the base so the piece (cannon + parts) doesn't move when fired (except for the recoil reduction system).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.