1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Would like to see the HOA Leo III Award

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Charlie Becknell, Aug 26, 2013.

1. Charlie Becknell

Charlie Becknell Well-Known Member

Personally, I would like the HOA award at the Grand to be named " The Leo Harrison III HOA Award", after all, it was HIS trophy. He has dominated our sport against all comers, winning HOA 15 times. To me the HOA represents the most prestigious award at the Grand with HAA being second.

Charlie Becknell

2. Scott Johnson

Scott Johnson Well-Known Member

Is 15 times the most anyone has ever won it? If so it would be fitting to honor one heck of a fine and accomplished man. Scott

3. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Scott,

That is by far the most by any one shooter. I believe the second spot is held by Ray Stafford with 8 and third place is Joe Hiestand with 6. .

4. 9point3

9point3 Well-Known Member

I differ with you a bit on this. Leo was a great shooter wherever he went and by all accounts he was a great person wherever he went as well. I would like to see the LEO given for a season's worth of accomplishments. I think a state level LEO, and from that pool a Zone Level LEO and to top it off a National LEO.

5. Scott Johnson

The Grand HOA with Leo's name on it would seem to be very fitting. I have never shot the Grand, some of you that have, what say you? Honor the man who won it the most and keep in mind, this is only one small thing that he did, even though it is a major accomplishment, think of all he has contributed back to trap shooting. Scott

6. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

If they put all of Leos awards together they will have to double the size of the HOF, the man was a shooting icon ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

7. logndog

logndog TS Member

I agree Doc, it would only be fitting!

8. $$$SHTR

$$$SHTR Member

Not only at the Grand, but all HOA's should be re-named the Leo 111 award. An award to truly shoot for. The ATA could/should send each club that holds an ATA event a Leo 111 pin. I would think a collection of these pins would be something to be very proud of. I say this, as many of the people that Leo influenced will never get a chance to go to the Grand.

I would even send a donation to get this idea started.

Tomas

9. cgd14782

cgd14782 Member

Agree with Charlie B.

Gene

10. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

I'd retire his jersey...

Yes, naming an award at the GRAND would be appropriate, imho

11. Whitlash2U

Whitlash2U Member

Great Idea!!! Never knew the man personally but heard of and read some about him before I started shooting last August @ the ripe old age of 57. Count me in as a first year shooter of this trap game on the $$$SHTR (Tomas) idea. Where do you want me to send my donation to? Mike

12. shotgunpeople

shotgunpeople Active Member

A perpetual trophy on display at the GAH site, with the GAH HOA winners name placed on it each year.

Something perhaps like the Borg-Warner Trophy at the Indy 500. No need for a bust of each shooter, but name tags that surround the trophy for all the years to come. As the future winners plaques begin to go around the trophy, there could be a slowly revolving table under it for all to see.

You get the idea.

13. Target13

Target13 Active Member

I'd like to throw "White Flyer's " name into the mix to offer a perpetual Trophy in Leo's name for the Grand American HOA Championship. We would develop a special trophy that would sit in the Events Center at Sparta or wherever the ATA chose to have it sit. THe exact naming would be something we would work on, but this trophy would serve as a lasting Memorial for one of the greatest Trapshooters in the history of our Sport and one of the finest gentlemen you could ever meet. Each year a replica would be awarded to the winner and his/her name would be added to the wooden base.

I would assume that I would need to get ATA EC approval and I will send a proposal to Lynn Gipson and the EC.

The shooting community has seen the loss of two of it's greatest shooters in 2013 - Wayne Mayes and Leo Harrison III. Additionally, other top gunners have passed throughout this year and has made 2013 standout with these tragedies. Our thoughts and prayers go out to Karla and her family as well as Linda Mayes. I was fortunate to know both gentlemen well and had the opportunity to shoot with each many times in my 50 plus year career. I will never forget either and each time I shoot, I'll think of them as well as the many others that provided so much for our shooting sports.

On the skeet side, I will approach the NSSA EC about providing a Perpetual Trophy or something special in honor of Wayne Mayes for the NSSA World Skeet Championships and Skeet also from White Flyer.

The legacy of each will never be forgotten and White Flyer Targets would consider it an honor to offer special awards in their names in 2014.

Phil Murray

14. Scott Johnson

Phil Murray, great idea, White Flyer is always there for trap shooters and they have a quality product. Scott

15. jdhog

jdhog Member

Thank you WHITE FLYER Your a great company and much needed at this time .
    jdhog

16. Charlie Becknell

Charlie Becknell Well-Known Member

Phil,

What a great idea to have a perpetual trophy on display. I would like to thank you and White Flyer for "stepping up to the plate" and offering to do this. I look forward to seeing the " Leo Harrison HOA perpetual trophy of the Grand American Trapshoot presented by White Flyer".

Charlie

17. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Phil Murray, excellent idea!

18. Trapmanjohn

Trapmanjohn Member

How about a Leo Harrison III nostalgia shoot similar to the Federal Model 12 shoot. Everyone must use an unaltered Remington 1100 with Winchester AA shells.

Hit 'em hard,

John