1. We have added the ability for anyone to 'bump' threads that they have created. This is mainly useful in the classifieds area where posters constantly bump for sale threads to bring it to the top. This allows them the ability to do that without having to clutter the thread with extra 'TTT' and 'Bump' type posts. To bump it, go inside your thread and click on 'Thread Tools' at the top, then select 'bump'. You can bump only once per 24 hour period.

For more detailed information please see this post: Thread Bump Functionality.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Would like to buy a telescope for star searching

Discussion in 'For Sale- Members only' started by need to shoot more, Feb 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. need to shoot more

need to shoot more Active Member

0   0   0

My Daughters are interested in Star gazing ( at least for now) any telescopes for sale? Thank You in advance. Jim Z.

2. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0

I would too. What is the best bang for the buck?

3. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

0   0   0

I have one for sale if your interested, it's to large for the area we have it in let me find out some kind of value and the name of it and I'll send you a pvt message with in a day or so.

4. BustClays

BustClays Member

0   0   0

First, buy a good beginners astronomy guide book. Then use the binoculars that your already have. A star guide that is settable for your latitude and time of the year/day will be absolutely necessary. When you are finally ready to buy a telescope, keep in mind that you will only be able to really enlarge the objects in our local solar systrem with an optical telescope, spend the extra dollars on an adjustable and very stable tripod. If the tripod is an elcheapo for photography, it will not do. If at all possible, visit a planatarium or observatory. Most college observatories are open at certain times for the public. The more you know the better off you'll be and the less money you'll waste.

bustclays

ps: It's cheaper to get her interested in golf or trap shooting. But, if you can't change her, image and stability is everything. She might even enjoy rigging a spotting scope up to a digital camera and taking moon shots.

Along those lines, I spent about $300 on a panasonic digital camera that has 18x optical and over 120x digital and it takes great moon shots. If she lost interest in astronomy, she's always have a great camera. Good luck!

5. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

Jim and shot410ga, a 4", short focal length APO refractor is the overall best compromise. If you buy a decent one you'll use it for life.

Check out Company Seven in MD. They carry a huge line of telescopes and are quite literally experts on the subject. For example, an Orior 4" f9 APO on the SkyPro German equatorial mount and dual axis drive gives you a complete kit for about $1300. It's a good setup, easy to use, and enjoyable. Get one or two low powered Nagler eyepieces and your ready to wow everybody.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.